Kia Niro Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Yes, but what I've been told is that it's good to run your AC periodically in order to keep the seals from drying out and cracking and losing all of the refrigerant gas. There is a lubricant mixed with the refrigerant and running the AC causes that to circulate. The last guy who inspected my home AC system mentioned that I should try to run it a few times over the winter for this same reason.
While I've heard similar second hand (probably 100th hand) information, I can tell you my own experience. Last car I owned for 18 years. Ran the AC probably 5 hours every other year. I own a home with a 25 year old air conditioner. Typically use it about 15 hours total in the summer. Only lived in the home 12 years. Those are my real anecdotes. Heard the same thing about dishwashers. And other appliances. Cannot remember any appliance ever dying. Even my electric toothbrush is 12 years old (I do use it every day though so maybe you are right). Personally, I think these are old wives tales from men.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
When I hit the fan button, the AC light does not come on, even though the AC is clearly on (based on the temperature coming out of the vents). But after I hit the fan button, if I touch the AC button, then the AC light does come on. And if I hit it a second time, then the AC light goes off. And a few minutes after that, the air coming out of the vents no longer feels like it has been cooled by air conditioning. It just feels a little cooler than ambient air (because the fan is moving the air and that has a cooling effect of its own).
Wouldn't it be easier to turn ADS off? Then when you want AC, you only have to do one step. Your way sounds kind of OCD.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Wouldn't it be easier to turn ADS off? Then when you want AC, you only have to do one step. Your way sounds kind of OCD.
I'm glad you've had good luck with your AC. I've had something like five cars (all purchased used) that had failing or completely failed AC. I owned all but one of those cars in Mane, where there's only about a week or two in the summer months where you would even wish for AC (so the AC was infrequently used in those cars).

I'm trying to help folks understand a way to use their climate system: a topic that many have complained about. Once I learned how to do this, it's like I don't even have to think about it anymore: I enjoy my ability to turn on the fan without running the AC and I don't even give it a second thought anymore: I wish others who would like to run the fan without the AC were able to do that without giving it a lot of thought. Yes, people could do it your way, but if they did it the way I suggest, then they wouldn't necessarily be at as much risk of needing AC repairs sooner rather than later.

Your suggestion that my approach is OCD is highly offensive. You bring a lot of good information to this forum, but people have criticized you for various reasons, and I've defended you on some of those occasions (both publicly and privately). But if you want to accuse me of being OCD, I'm just wondering why that label is even in your thoughts? Perhaps it's been applied to you in the past by others who knew you? Is this an example of "it takes one to know one" or "the pot calling the kettle black"? Except that while I have a lot of other faults, I really don't think that I "am one" when it comes to the OCD label. You really shouldn't accuse others of behaviors that you are guilty of, and you especially shouldn't do that to people who stand in your corner (or previously did so).

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
I didn't call you OCD, I said your multistep technique to turn the AC off is kind of OCD versus an easier option. I'm not a troll, but admit to having an edge. Sorry for any misunderstanding. I'm certainly not OCD (well maybe I post too much on various forums - I like to think of it as a hobby), I try to simplify my life because I'm lazy.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts