Kia Niro Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Contacted one dealer and was quoted $1500 to do 60k mile maintenance which is required to be covered for the 100k mile warranty. Service technician mentioned I can do the list myself (easy ones) or have a third party technician do more complex ones but to save the receipt or document for proof if warranty is needed under 100k. The GDI induction and brake flush was something the technician said was a case by case basis and not sure if this is that needs to be done but i'm guessing these two are quite expensive or main chunk of the $1500. The list as follows
Oil change
Tire rotation
Cabin filter
Cabin filter with deordiziter
Engine air filter
Fuel additives techron
Transmission flush
Coolant flush
Questionable below
Gdi induction
Brake flush

Oil change was taken care of as well as cabin filter. Not sure what cabin filter deordizer is but I'm sure I can get that done myself too.
  1. Anyone recommend which ones people can safely do on their one (either following youtube or online tutorial) and which ones to leave it too kia?
2. I'm guessing the ones in between that third parties can do I can find someone local that can save a lot more.
3. From the list what will be top expensive maintenance fees?
I'm at 60,120k and just totally forgot (went on a long trip) about this and technician said I should get these done before like 63k etc (sooner or later)..

· Registered
2020 Niro HEV EX+
1,217 Posts
Check your maintenance schedule in the owners manual.
Brake flush is recommended
HSG belt is recommended
Oil change, tire rotation, cabin air filter are normal maintenance that you can do yourself, if you feel confident. Fast lube shops can handle those items as well.
Coolant flush is not recommended until some time after 100K
GDI induction is dealer money generating garbage; transmission flush as well; if Top Tier gas is used, Techron not necessary.
Dual clutch fluid change (brake fluid) is recommended - you can handle that.
If I was a dealer, I would be salivating at the $1500 quote you were given - that is some quick easy money!
The idea that all of those items have to be completed to maintain your 100K warranty is a load of bull squirt.

· Registered
2020 Kia Niro PHEV EX Premium
16 Posts
Holy smokes! $1,500 for the 60K service?! I wonder what other forum members have paid for on their 60K?

I recently paid $270 to my local auto shop for my PHEV Niro's 15K. They said they'll do the mechanical but won't touch the electric/hybrid parts. Eventually I'll probably need to take it to a dealer. Will I need to take out a loan first? Or is this something we BEV, HEV and PHEV owners have to accept as part of the cost? I thought maintenance costs were supposed to go down for these vehicles.

· Registered
2020 Niro HEV EX+
1,217 Posts
Holy smokes! $1,500 for the 60K service?! I wonder what other forum members have paid for on their 60K?

I recently paid $270 to my local auto shop for my PHEV Niro's 15K. They said they'll do the mechanical but won't touch the electric/hybrid parts. Eventually I'll probably need to take it to a dealer. Will I need to take out a loan first? Or is this something we BEV, HEV and PHEV owners have to accept as part of the cost? I thought maintenance costs were supposed to go down for these vehicles.
Don't sweat it.
EV will have cheaper maintenance than ICE, hands down!
I doubt you need to take it to the dealer except for warranty and of course, major electrical issues but I doubt you will encounter any kind of major electrical/hybrid issues.

· Registered
1,209 Posts
You should never say never or always except for this. You should NEVER say to a dealer do a...,K mi. service. Always say I want an oil change, tire rotation coolant flush ect. If you go in and say I want a whatever mile service you might as well hang a sign around you neck that says kick me in the you know what.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Check your maintenance schedule in the owners manual.
Brake flush is recommended
HSG belt is recommended
Oil change, tire rotation, cabin air filter are normal maintenance that you can do yourself, if you feel confident. Fast lube shops can handle those items as well.
Coolant flush is not recommended until some time after 100K
GDI induction is dealer money generating garbage; transmission flush as well; if Top Tier gas is used, Techron not necessary.
Dual clutch fluid change (brake fluid) is recommended - you can handle that.
If I was a dealer, I would be salivating at the $1500 quote you were given - that is some quick easy money!
The idea that all of those items have to be completed to maintain your 100K warranty is a load of bull squirt.
Thanks for your reply! HSG belt, never heard of this and dealer didn't mention this but seems like I'll have to make a note and ask mechanic or dealer to do this (unless there is a tutorial and most people can do it themselves) . Interesting the coolant flush is listed as 60k. Is Costco gas considered top tier? I am guessing not lol. I have a feeling that our kias are built well so 100k seems like it will pass without any mechanics. But hope I didn't jinx myself saying that. Heard the coolant and brake flush require kia software so seems that is something I can't do as well.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You should never say never or always except for this. You should NEVER say to a dealer do a...,K mi. service. Always say I want an oil change, tire rotation coolant flush ect. If you go in and say I want a whatever mile service you might as well hang a sign around you neck that says kick me in the you know what.
I remember doing that then they will say something like, your x mile is due soon and I usually say I will get the service I need done first and let you guys handle the rest. Seems like conversation ends afterwards. Guess it's good to know A LOT about cars to get people off your back lol

· Registered
2021 Niro PHEV EX
122 Posts
Thanks for your reply! HSG belt, never heard of this and dealer didn't mention this but seems like I'll have to make a note and ask mechanic or dealer to do this (unless there is a tutorial and most people can do it themselves) . Interesting the coolant flush is listed as 60k. Is Costco gas considered top tier? I am guessing not lol. I have a feeling that our kias are built well so 100k seems like it will pass without any mechanics. But hope I didn't jinx myself saying that. Heard the coolant and brake flush require kia software so seems that is something I can't do as well.
After the combo of I and the place I bought the (used) car from completed all the other 60K mi maint items, my dealer was happy to charge me just labor to install the HSG belt. I bought the OEM belt for $37 on Amazon and took it to them. My independent mechanic said he didn't have the special Kia/Hyundai tool required to de-tension the belt for removal/installation.

· Registered
2020 Niro HEV EX+
1,217 Posts
Costco gas is Top Tier - at least in Canada

· Registered
2020 Niro HEV EX+
1,217 Posts
After the combo of I and the place I bought the (used) car from completed all the other 60K mi maint items, my dealer was happy to charge me just labor to install the HSG belt. I bought the OEM belt for $37 on Amazon and took it to them. My independent mechanic said he didn't have the special Kia/Hyundai tool required to de-tension the belt for removal/installation.
Your independent mechanic could have replace the HSG belt without the special tool.
I am really surprised the dealer would install a belt you supplied - might want to keep that dealer.

· Registered
2021 Niro PHEV EX
122 Posts
Your independent mechanic could have replace the HSG belt without the special tool.
I am really surprised the dealer would install a belt you supplied - might want to keep that dealer.
I found both a source for the tool - about $70 from the UK on Ebay, as well as a YouTube video on how to do it yourself using a couple extended wrenches to de-tension the belt. Both of those were after my mechanic said no, and by then I was headed to the dealer anyway. At the same time they replaced the belt, they also programmed a new key fob - bought from Korea for about 60% of what the dealer quoted me. Before doing that I verified the programming fee was the same regardless of the source of the fob.

· Registered
1,209 Posts
I remember doing that then they will say something like, your x mile is due soon and I usually say I will get the service I need done first and let you guys handle the rest. Seems like conversation ends afterwards. Guess it's good to know A LOT about cars to get people off your back lol
You don't have to know a real lot about cars, just know what needs to be done when, ie the list in your owners manual and ask questions here if your not sure and if they get pushy just say I do the maintaince my way. If they get too pushy ask them when you should change the transmission fluid. If they stumble and say they don't change it they flush it, say...You do know this is a Niro right? It doesn't have transmission fluid just gear oil inside the transmission, you don't flush it. That innocent question will tell you if the person that your talking to in the service Dept. knows what they're talking about.

· Registered
1,209 Posts
Cabin and Air filters are definitely a DIY job. Dealer will charge $50 for a $20 filter and a 5 minute swap.
Well depends on the dealer. My dealer always seems to have a coupon, plus last time he was the only one that had an air filter. Non of the usual parts places had any, national back order.

· Registered
16 Posts
Just had the 8k service done. The dealer went through the checklist and ended up just changing the oil, which they did for free since they finished the job three hours past the promised time. Of course with only 8k on the odometer and probably only about 1500 miles using engine power it’s possible they never touched the oil. I checked it before going to the dealer and it looked like new, so who knows if the oil change was truly done.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts