Kia Niro Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
So sorry to hear about your AC issue. My Niro just died, they say it is the whole hybrid battery and BMS system... but this last week the AC was not running cold anymore. I wonder if it was a similar issue to you. Please let us know more about where you found the part. The dealership wanted almost $8,000 for the battery, I found one at a salvage yard for only $1500.
The battery is garanteed for ten years no mileage in The US. Per government regulation

·
Administrator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
2,379 Posts
The battery is garanteed for ten years no mileage in The US. Per government regulation
Every EV I've seen here has a mileage as well as time limit. Ford is 8 years, 100,000 miles. From what I can find, that is the federal minimum requirement.

·
Registered
71 Posts
According to Kia's website:

The Warranty Period
The Warranty period for the following HYBRID SYSTEM components is limited to 10 years from the date of original retail delivery or date of first use, or 100,000 miles, whichever occurs first.

Hybrid System
Hybrid Battery Pack Assy, Hybrid Starter & Generator, Hybrid Power Control Unit, Auto Transmission & Traction Motor including housing case, clutch and all internal parts.

An exception is made for "California Emissions Vehicles (excluding Pennsylvania and Washington)" where it is 10 yrs/150,000 miles (note this is not a free upgrade, obviously this drives up the price of the car for all consumers). Now the question whether your Kia Niro is a CEV vs. not a CEV.

Source for the Kia warranty:

·
Registered
71 Posts
The actual text of the warranty is:

Note : For California Emissions Vehicles (excluding Pennsylvania and Washington), the Hybrid System is covered for 10 years from the date of original retail delivery or date of first use, or 150,000 miles, whichever occurs first.

For a car to be a CEV, the Kia warranty says the vehicle must be "first sold as new vehicles by dealers in California or any other states adopting and mandating the California Emission Standards"

Font Parallel

The states that follow whatever the California Air Resources Board does are:
New York Massachusetts Vermont Maine Pennsylvania Connecticut Rhode Island Washington Oregon New Jersey Maryland Delaware Colorado Minnesota Nevada Virginia

As mentioned before, these warranty upgrades are not free: instead, Kia must increase the price of its cars for all consumers, or lose money. But people whose car was first sold in those states should ask for their warranty extension to 150,000, since we all already paid for it.

Source for the states that let CARB decide on their behalf:

·
Administrator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
2,379 Posts
I wonder why WA and PA are excluded from the extension. WA follows CA emissions standards.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Pa. goes by Ca. also. Don't know why the post has Pa. excluded on the top but included on the bottom?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Pa. goes by Ca. also. Don't know why the post has Pa. excluded on the top but included on the bottom?
Because the text «For California Emissions Vehicles (excluding Pennsylvania and Washington), the Hybrid System is covered for 10 years» comes from the 2018 Kia Niro Warranty booklet,

whereas the text «New York Massachusetts Vermont Maine Pennsylvania Connecticut Rhode Island Washington Oregon New Jersey Maryland Delaware Colorado Minnesota Nevada Virginia» comes from the government of California.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Update: So used part came in, they put it in on Friday. Picked it up .. no warning lights. Started it up Saturday morning and same warning lights came on. Went back to the dealership to have it documented and they said bring it back Monday and they will take another look at it. Lights stayed on Saturday but then went off on Sunday and have stayed off and it has been driving fine. Without the warning lights and code being issued, there is nothing they can look at. So I am not sure if my problem is really resolved or just a matter of time, but they said it is documented within the battery warranty so I have that to go back on later if needed. I did have them make sure to put that the part has a Lifetime Warranty on my paperwork as well and with labor it was $630.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
The hybrid battery is covered under warranty, don't go paying for anything
I am so sorry to hear that. I had no idea my AC Compressor was not working since it is the middle of winter and I wasn't running it, but I got the Battery Maintenance Warning and then when they checked the error code it came up with the AC Compressor causing the fault on the battery system. I got mine from a place that revamps used auto parts for resell, you know like they would do for starters and alternators and such? It was in Knoxville, TN.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just had the exact same thing happen to me. I have the car in at the hybrid-certified Kia repair shop. They say it looks like it is likey the compressor, but are going to check 'a couple more things" and then confirm. At this point I just want it fixed ASAP. it's 40 degrees and I'm melting!

21 - 32 of 32 Posts