Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, this is weird. Check engine light came on on the way home early this week. Conditions were temps in the 9-15 degree range, occasional slushy roads, some buildup by the tires. We had a minor snowstorm this week. It didn't have any issues during the drive, so was able to get it home, no problem. We had to leave town, so we just took the truck on the road. This morning, I decided to see if a wash (to get the buildup cleaned off) and gas refill would help reset the light. Started fine, backed up in idle, but as soon as I touched the accelerator, dead stop, with the motor still running fine. Forward, same thing. Has anyone else seen this?

·
Registered
31 Posts
I rolled back in neutral once and forgot to put it in D and wondered why the car wasn't moving. I figured it out but it shocked me for a second. This probably isn't what you experienced, but just thought I'd share my experience.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Electronics (I assume it's all electronic now) - anything can happen. Kind of think old mechanical linkage was more reliable.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Sounds like me hen I sometimes shift it to neutral after backing out, but if it was in drive and suddenly stopped, you should probably bring it in to the dealership.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Waiting on dealership

That's weird. Did you bring it to mechanic already? If yes, what did he say?
Called customer service, and got transferred to roadside assistance. The tow truck picked it up within a couple hours to haul it to the dealership. Hopefully we find out today just what's going on with it. Rather disappointed as it's only three months old with about 2,400 miles on it.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Called customer service, and got transferred to roadside assistance. The tow truck picked it up within a couple hours to haul it to the dealership. Hopefully we find out today just what's going on with it. Rather disappointed as it's only three months old with about 2,400 miles on it.
Did you get a chance to see how the tow truck operator hooked it up and how they were towing it? Improper towing can cause issues down the road if not immediately and not all tow operators put enough care unless they're dealing with a very high end and expensive car.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did you get a chance to see how the tow truck operator hooked it up and how they were towing it? Improper towing can cause issues down the road if not immediately and not all tow operators put enough care unless they're dealing with a very high end and expensive car.
I was at work, but they did tow correctly, but will be checking for damage on tailpipe and rear bumper as the GF said they used a dolly rather than a flatbed. Generally, around here, the tow business is pretty competitive, so they're quite good about taking care of vehicles.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Closing out with what the repair was...apparently, the thermostat was sticking so the engine wouldn't allow for use of the ICE drive, just electric. Kind of strange, but a new thermostat fixed everything up and it's running fine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts