Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being a Minimal Maintenance type guy, and not even realizing Actuator Clutch Fluid was a recommended change until saw discussions on this site (good site BTW), I had not changed my fluid as recommended.

I still have not changed per recommendation (Dealer Change), but I did change by sucking the DOT4 fluid out using a radiator tester bulb at 30,362 miles (when I did an oil engine change) and again at 36,300 miles (when I did an engine change).

I saved the fluid I drew out of the reservoir both times. 1st time in a pint glass jar and 2nd time in a plastic jar.

I took pictures of the fluid in the jars today (04-19-20), a few days after the 36,300 fluid was taken out (04-14-20). The 30,362 mile fluid was taken out 7 months earlier (09-19-19).

The 1st fluid removed had a sentiment that settled in in the bottom of the jar soon after it was in the jar. I tilted the jars thinking I would get a better picture and the sentiment went back into solution. I wish I would have taken pictures not tilted. And, to top it off, the one picture (36,300 mile) is a bit out of focus.

However, you can see the difference in fluid that had been in for 30,362 miles VS fluid that had been in for 5,938 miles.
1st one is darker and the sentiment appears white(gray).
The 2nd one is lighter color and had no sediment.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Being a Minimal Maintenance type guy, and not even realizing Actuator Clutch Fluid was a recommended change until saw discussions on this site (good site BTW), I had not changed my fluid as recommended.

I still have not changed per recommendation (Dealer Change), but I did change by sucking the DOT4 fluid out using a radiator tester bulb at 30,362 miles (when I did an oil engine change) and again at 36,300 miles (when I did an engine change).

I saved the fluid I drew out of the reservoir both times. 1st time in a pint glass jar and 2nd time in a plastic jar.

I took pictures of the fluid in the jars today (04-19-20), a few days after the 36,300 fluid was taken out (04-14-20). The 30,362 mile fluid was taken out 7 months earlier (09-19-19).

The 1st fluid removed had a sentiment that settled in in the bottom of the jar soon after it was in the jar. I tilted the jars thinking I would get a better picture and the sentiment went back into solution. I wish I would have taken pictures not tilted. And, to top it off, the one picture (36,300 mile) is a bit out of focus.

However, you can see the difference in fluid that had been in for 30,362 miles VS fluid that had been in for 5,938 miles.
The 2nd one is lighter color and had no sediment. View attachment 6112
View attachment 6113
My dealership who I trust said it was not necessary to change this actuator fluid more like 80,000 miles might be necessary. They said they looked at it and don’t feel that it’s necessary to do. It wouldn’t void the warranty as I had it done at the dealership and they put a note in the record they did not recommend doing it.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My dealership who I trust said it was not necessary to change this actuator fluid more like 80,000 miles might be necessary. They said they looked at it and don’t feel that it’s necessary to do. It wouldn’t void the warranty as I had it done at the dealership and they put a note in the record they did not recommend doing it.
As I have read before --- Dealer doesn't set the interval as for as warranty is concerned. so, as far as warranty goes -- I imagine about like me (did not follow the interval or go to a dealer).

I am just taking a chance, playing the odds so to say.

That said, can see how the fluid looked at 30,362 miles. Now whether or not that fluid look affects function -- I don't know. Never change the brake line flood either as recommended in any cars. I did change on a Motorhome one time and do change on MC.

·
Registered
2019 NIRO PHEV EX
292 Posts
PAULRIDES when I changed my fluid for the first time it also had a milky residue in it. Very glad I changed it. Having done it twice ,it is no trouble and takes 15 minutes to change. The bottle of SuperTech Dot 3 brake fluid cost me a $1.25. 15 minutes of time and $1.25 every year or so is doable for me.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
PAULRIDES when I changed my fluid for the first time it also had a milky residue in it. Very glad I changed it. Having done it twice ,it is no trouble and takes 15 minutes to change. The bottle of SuperTech Dot 3 brake fluid cost me a $1.25. 15 minutes of time and $1.25 every year or so is doable for me.
You may be the one I got the idea as to how to do it (suck old out and add new) the first time I did it. I agree it is very easy and cheap to do - maybe not keep waranty in affect (that is a chance one takes - playing the odds).

I had intended to do it soon (like a few hundred miles) after the first time to let the new mix with what is left in the system (besides the reservoir) to maybe get all (more) of the old fluid out. Some information I read says the fluid in the clutch pretty much stays there (does not recirculate) and that is why you need to have a dealer do it (to get all the old fluid out).

Not sure trust a dealer to do much of anything (maybe change oil if they put thee plug back in LOL). Consider their statements that it is not needed (or at 80,000 miles) when the MFG manual says to do it. Also, consider their non-resolution of the "Jerkyness" problem (not really the dealers fault - it's a design problem).

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The sediment settled better in the containers I had the fluid from the 30,362 and 36,000 mile Actuator Fluid in, so I took new pictures. Plus came out better because of the background.

·
Registered
561 Posts
You may be the one I got the idea as to how to do it (suck old out and add new) the first time I did it. I agree it is very easy and cheap to do - maybe not keep waranty in affect (that is a chance one takes - playing the odds).

I had intended to do it soon (like a few hundred miles) after the first time to let the new mix with what is left in the system (besides the reservoir) to maybe get all (more) of the old fluid out. Some information I read says the fluid in the clutch pretty much stays there (does not recirculate) and that is why you need to have a dealer do it (to get all the old fluid out).

Not sure trust a dealer to do much of anything (maybe change oil if they put thee plug back in LOL). Consider their statements that it is not needed (or at 80,000 miles) when the MFG manual says to do it. Also, consider their non-resolution of the "Jerkyness" problem (not really the dealers fault - it's a design problem).
Remember when dealing with a dealer you don't have much confidence in, to talk to one of the senior mechanics, NOT the service advisor who may or may not know anything.

·
Registered
1 Posts

The 2nd one is lighter color and had no sediment. View attachment 6112
View attachment 6113
Can the fluid be reused, after you strain the wite sediments?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Update on Dealer change of Engine Clutch Actuator Fluid Change. Had the process/calibration done at my local Kia Dealer using my Costco 15% off service coupon, which brought the price down to $109.70. I thought the price was still expensive and yes I had previously done the service myself using the turkey baster method. This time I went through the dealer, so I would have no issues with the warranty. The thing that blew me away was when I looked at the itemized receipt and saw the price the dealer charged for the brake fluid! $17.70 Wow! It is usually about $1.25 for Dot3 brake fluid at Walmart. What a rip off! I may go back to doing it myself and just document and photograph the process to show that it was done at the correct service interval.

·
Registered
2019 NIRO PHEV EX
292 Posts
I agree about the price. I do mine for about 15 minutes of work and $1.25 can of Walmart SuperTech Dot 3 brake fluid. My clutch actuator fluid is very clean and I do this at every 2nd oil change and that works out to a yearly interval. It is so cheap and easy to do that I have no problem maintaining this schedule. I even take the time to completely swap out the clutch actuator fluid holding reservoir with a lint free cloth and it still takes less than 15 minutes.

The procedure for calibration/exercising is to expel any trapped air that may be in the lines. Unless they remove the line at the slave cylinder there is no need for that procedure. You will not induce air into the system by the typical suction and replace method. Initially I did the procedure at every oil change but now have moved it to every other oil change.

Thought you might be interested in others experience.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Update on Dealer change of Engine Clutch Actuator Fluid Change. Had the process/calibration done at my local Kia Dealer using my Costco 15% off service coupon, which brought the price down to $109.70. I thought the price was still expensive and yes I had previously done the service myself using the turkey baster method. This time I went through the dealer, so I would have no issues with the warranty. The thing that blew me away was when I looked at the itemized receipt and saw the price the dealer charged for the brake fluid! $17.70 Wow! It is usually about $1.25 for Dot3 brake fluid at Walmart. What a rip off! I may go back to doing it myself and just document and photograph the process to show that it was done at the correct service interval.
Yes that's VERY expensive. My Kia dealer charged me $85 total.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts