Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im currently adding a subwoofer and amp to my 2017 Niro hybrid. Going to try and post some pics once the site will let me.

The stock sub in back doesn't cut it for me and makes the whole system sound bad.

·
Super Moderator
592 Posts
Im currently adding a subwoofer and amp to my 2017 Niro hybrid. Going to try and post some pics once the site will let me.

The stock sub in back doesn't cut it for me and makes the whole system sound bad.

You dont like the Sub in the SX version ?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the touring with the harmon kardon but no it doesn't sound good to me. I attached some files of the stock sub out and me connecting my wires to it and also under the back seat and where you get the 12v power from.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
592 Posts
I have the touring with the harmon kardon but no it doesn't sound good to me.

oh boy.. it's a good thing you dont have a EX or EX Premium.. ;)

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
It should be rocking. Open the hatch and face it backwards for jet propulsion!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Looks great! Sure eats up a ton of the storage space though... that's what has largely discouraged me from doing something similar, I need the space in back regularly.

I have also grown accustomed to the stock sound now after six months, and made some adjustments to the EQ in the system as well as the EQ settings on my music player (an iBasso high-def device), and that has made things a lot better too. Given that I am blessed with a commute under 10 minutes and rarely take drives longer than about half an hour, I can live with this (for now).

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It may look bigger than it actually is I can still get a large cooler between the sub and the hatch. But the sound is like day and night. much better.

·
Registered
4 Posts
@jaxterra, I'm getting ready to install an amp sub as well in my 2017 Kia Niro EX without the HK system. Where did you put the ground for the Amp? Are you getting the audio signal from the stock sub signal if not then how?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Which side of the hybrid battery did you tie in for the power wire? Driver or passenger side?

I’m working on installing an amp and 10” under seat sub and right now, the power connection is what I’m trying to decide on how to do it.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Which side of the hybrid battery did you tie in for the power wire? Driver or passenger side?

I’m working on installing an amp and 10” under seat sub and right now, the power connection is what I’m trying to decide on how to do it.
I did drivers side underneath the little black cover. Everything is working fine for the last 4 months. pic 8 of 10 of my pics on first page. pic 10 of 10 shows amp wire connected.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I did the same thing as jaxterra, though I did not use the rear seat brackets as my ground, I used a pre existing hole and used a 1/2 inch steel thread cutting bolt from Ace hardware that was right next to the seating bracket. I tapped into the rear speakers for each side to get stereo. You have to remove the front side trim, center trim, and rear trim by removing the molding first. My wiring was as follows, rear passenger was Brown-Positive, White Negative. Driver side passenger was Yellow- Positive, Black- Negative. Do take note the wiring is twisted together in the harness. They are the wires on the second row from the top so you can use a voltmeter to check for impedance of close to 4 ohms. Just make sure you make contact in th harness as I really had to position my tester leads just right to make a connection in the harness, I removed the door panels to make sure I had correct polarity and color wires. There are 2 screws that hold the door in place as well as clips. Behind the door handle and inside the arm rest. Reason I did rears was because I have the fader positioning 3 ticks down the center as I feel the tweeters are pretty loud ear piercing and I have a much more balanced sound running tone controls as follows: Bass-3, Mid-3, Treble-1.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts