Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. For those of you with the Advanced Tech Package, what do you think of it? Is it worth it? I've read on here that some people are having difficulties with the AEB, and when I went on a test drive, sometimes the lane departure worked and sometimes it did not. Is it too new to be effective? I'm trying to decide on the EX with the Tech Pkg or without. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
I really wanted it, but after much reading, I'm not so sure anymore. If you YouTube Tesla crashes, you will see a number of failures of autonomous braking. I believe their tech is the best around, so the Kia won't even meet their standard. Then Kia's lane keep is just an alert in the US, while in other markets it is a full assist. There is little reason why Kia could not upgrade that to a full assist as a software update in the future, but that is a big strike. Certainly if the tech package could avoid even one major accident or reduce its severity, it is well worth the money. I had a rollover a couple years ago that certainly would have been avoided, but that is the only incident in 45 years of driving that added tech would have worked to prevent.

Anyway, to me, the upshot is that the tech is not quite ready, and I cannot shake the feeling that it is a bad deal. Might as well keep the weight low - the tech package was the only reason for me to even consider the EX trim. Ten years from now, we won't even consider cars without similar tech and will expect it to perform well.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I think it's worth it for the HID headlights, the foreword collision warning, and the smart cruise control. The other stuff I haven't really used that much. The LDW has helped like twice. I have never used the autonomous braking but if it will help prevent an accident one day I'm okay with it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I think there are still some bugs, but I think it'll be worth it. Down the line they could always work out the bugs and provide updates so I don't think you'll have to worry about that too much.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I definitely think it's worth it. You will think of them like cruise control once you have them and use them. That is, CC is so useful practically nobody gets a car without it. Except that CC is not a safety item. These options are safety items and could save you from a crash. Think what a bargain they would be if they save you the hassle and expense of just a fender bender--let alone an injury accident. The new Honda Civic buyers that passed over the driver aids are having severe buyer's remorse.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmm...think of it like cruise control, eh? I've had my car for 18 years. I can't remember a single time I used cruise control. (And yes, my car does have it.) I'm betting the Smart Cruise Control will be the same for me. But the lane departure warning? I can see myself utilizing that. And the AEB. If they work...

·
Registered
5 Posts
I think you might like the smart cruise control better than regular kind, it is more relaxing driving knowing that it will keep you away from the car in front.

I wanted the safety features as I am getting older so I see worse, slower reactions, all that stuff, and anything that make it safer for me and others on the road is worth it to me.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I like having it.

I had actually wanted a PHEV without it (to save money on a package that I thought I didn't need that much), but that wasn't available. I think it either comes standard with all PHEVs, or at least all the ones at my dealership had it. So, I "begrudgingly" bought one that had the package, and in hindsight I'm glad I did. I like it.

The lane keep assist could certainly use some help, but it's better than nothing. It certainly isn't as good as Tesla's autopilot - but it's a lot better than not having it at all.

The adaptive cruise control works great for me. Maybe I got lucky, but mine doesn't experience most of the negative aspects that people have been complaining about. Generally it's been flawless for me, except for 2 things:
1) When the car slows down to 6mph, it turns off... and if you're not careful to hit the brake when it does that, you'll hit the car in front of you. And then when the car in front speeds up, you have to manually turn the cruise control back on. This can be REALLY annoying in stop-and-go traffic, but I've learned to live with it.
2) When the car in front of me changes lanes (out of my lane) and then slows down, there's a period of about 3-5 seconds when my car's radar is still locked onto their car, and makes my car hit the brakes to slow down instead of hitting the gas to speed up. Eventually, the radar figures out that they aren't in the same lane anymore, and corrects itself, but usually not before the driver behind me gives me a dirty look.

People have reported that it always makes their car brake harder than it should, slowing too abruptly, but mine doesn't. If anything, it slows down more gradually than I would normally. I also like that it tries as hard as it can to keep the accelerator in the "eco" range - it won't go into the "power" range unless it really, really needs to... like when climbing a steep hill. As a result, I've found that I generally get higher MPG when I use adaptive cruise control than when I don't.

·
Registered
222 Posts
As a none Niro owner lurker / likely future Niro owner I have some observations on the safety nannies as experienced in a 2015 Subaru with Eyesight and a 2017 VW Golf with cross traffic warning and forward Collision Braking.

1. Subaru's lane departure only beeps (doesn't self correct) if I'm drifting off course, helpful, occasionally annoying.
2. Subie's CC that maintains preselected distance between vehicles is truly a pleasure when on freeway, makes driving much more relaxing
3. Both cars have autonomous braking and cross traffic alert and both those features helped alert me to traffic slowing when I'm spending too much time fussing with music or climate control or "sightseeing" (I know, I should be paying more attention to the road) or someone is approaching from side as I back up.

Personally, I could probably do OK without these, but believe they are safety features that will save sheetmetal and possibly a life in the future. Honestly I think they are worth every penny and wouldn't buy a car without these features.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I like having it.

I had actually wanted a PHEV without it (to save money on a package that I thought I didn't need that much), but that wasn't available. I think it either comes standard with all PHEVs, or at least all the ones at my dealership had it. So, I "begrudgingly" bought one that had the package, and in hindsight I'm glad I did. I like it.

The lane keep assist could certainly use some help, but it's better than nothing. It certainly isn't as good as Tesla's autopilot - but it's a lot better than not having it at all.

The adaptive cruise control works great for me. Maybe I got lucky, but mine doesn't experience most of the negative aspects that people have been complaining about. Generally it's been flawless for me, except for 2 things:
1) When the car slows down to 6mph, it turns off... and if you're not careful to hit the brake when it does that, you'll hit the car in front of you. And then when the car in front speeds up, you have to manually turn the cruise control back on. This can be REALLY annoying in stop-and-go traffic, but I've learned to live with it.
2) When the car in front of me changes lanes (out of my lane) and then slows down, there's a period of about 3-5 seconds when my car's radar is still locked onto their car, and makes my car hit the brakes to slow down instead of hitting the gas to speed up. Eventually, the radar figures out that they aren't in the same lane anymore, and corrects itself, but usually not before the driver behind me gives me a dirty look.

People have reported that it always makes their car brake harder than it should, slowing too abruptly, but mine doesn't. If anything, it slows down more gradually than I would normally. I also like that it tries as hard as it can to keep the accelerator in the "eco" range - it won't go into the "power" range unless it really, really needs to... like when climbing a steep hill. As a result, I've found that I generally get higher MPG when I use adaptive cruise control than when I don't.
Hello,
I fully agree with these statements. I also got the safety-pack with the PHEV LX and I'm now an addict of smart cruise control. It is even better on main roads at 55mph when passing is hard, it keeps you following the speed of the car in front of you with a reasonnable 3-cars space and if the front car goes too fast it then caps to your selected speed. Very appreciated on long drives.

Christophe.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts