Kia Niro Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently took a road trip to northern California (about a nine hour drive). My 2018 PHEV performed flawlessly on the way up. On the way home, about five hours into the trip, I received two warnings on the instrument cluster saying something like “Check Auton Emergency Braking” and “Check Smart Cruise Control”. At the same time, four amber MIL lights came on: Regenerative Brake Warning light, Master Warning light, Autonomous Emergency Breaking Warning light, Electronic Stability Control Warning light. The brakes continued to work fine, but the cruise control stopped working.

We drove several miles until we could find an exit that had a hotel (I was concerned that the car might not start again if I shut it off). When we got off the freeway, I noticed that my electric range had dropped from 18 miles to 11 miles (I had been running in hybrid mode so I could conserve the battery for climbing a mountain that was about 60 miles ahead of our exit). The ICE was still running as I drove off the exit.

I parked, powered off the car, waited a few minutes, and powered it back on, and all the MIL lights stayed off, the cruise control resumed working, etc. We stopped for gas and lunch. When we resumed our journey (in hybrid mode), the electric range continued to go down (slowly), even though we were on flat terrain. We got over the mountain pass with just one mile of electric range left, and it charged back up to about 9 miles on the way down the other side (this is common behavior in my experience), and then the electric range stayed more or less constant for the duration of our return home.
Speedometer Vehicle Car Plant Odometer

Has anyone else experienced this?

·
Registered
435 Posts
Just 8341 miles on your car? Scary Hopefully problem is easily resolved -- unlike a lot of Niro problems.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Check that a smashed bug isn't smeared over the radar sensors on the front of the car. I have heard of snow/ice/slush causing that kind of failure and I got an intermittent warning light because of a moth body stuck over a sensor once.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts