Kia Niro Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,
So the lv1 charger that came stock with my Niro PHEV died. I am looking for alternatives that people have used and like.
Needs to be with a North American 3 prong plug.
I couldn't find any other topics on level 1 everything is on level 2 chargers. If you know of a thread I can check out let me know as well.
Thanks in advance

·
Administrator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
2,296 Posts
The biggest problem with L1 EVSEs is they cost almost as much as a Level 2 unit. Look on Amazon and Level 1 devices are around $200, while a 16 amp Level 2 device is about the same. Yes, it takes a 240v outlet. But even on Amazon there's a L1/L2 device for $200. Provides 12 amps on 120v and 16 amps on 240v. That reduces charging time by more than half. I could charge my PHEV at 240v in 2+20, while using the factory EVSE was over 5 hours. https://www.amazon.com/Schumacher-Portable-EV-Charger-Batteries/dp/B08PQ42SJ4/ But I'd be cautious using this specific one on 120v. They claim it provides 16 amps, but I wouldn't use it set higher than 12 amps on 120v.

L1 and L2 EVSEs all meet a standard, so there's no issue using a third party device.

·
Registered
2022 Niro PHEV Deep Cerulean Blue
109 Posts
I wonder if one can select the current output? The description of the item notes 16amp/12V. I think my garage is 15amp/120v. What will the Niro PHEV draw amperage wise when plugged into 120V?

·
Registered
2020 Niro HEV EX+
700 Posts
I wonder if one can select the current output? The description of the item notes 16amp/12V. I think my garage is 15amp/120v. What will the Niro PHEV draw amperage wise when plugged into 120V?
You can only draw 80% of the rated circuit breaker as it is continuous. For 15A breaker, charger must be set for 12A; 20A breaker would be 16A
The PHEV will attempt to draw 16A

·
Registered
109 Posts
You can only draw 80% of the rated circuit breaker as it is continuous. For 15A breaker, charger must be set for 12A; 20A breaker would be 16A
The PHEV will attempt to draw 16A
Unfortunately our electrical panel is quite a ways from the driveway and looks like it will be a pain to feed more wires between the panel and the garage for 240V. I looked at the electrical panel and the central vacuum (that is rarely used) is on a dedicated line serviced with a 20A circuit breaker. Once the PHEV arrives, I may just try out charging it with that outlet. Didn't really want to chance things with the 15A outlets. Thank you for explaining these things to a total noob!

·
Registered
2020 Niro HEV EX+
700 Posts
Unfortunately our electrical panel is quite a ways from the driveway and looks like it will be a pain to feed more wires between the panel and the garage for 240V. I looked at the electrical panel and the central vacuum (that is rarely used) is on a dedicated line serviced with a 20A circuit breaker. Once the PHEV arrives, I may just try out charging it with that outlet. Didn't really want to chance things with the 15A outlets. Thank you for explaining these things to a total noob!
Yes, the central vac circuit would work great and should you mistakenly try to use both at once, it should trip the breaker.
I believe the 120V charge cable that comes with the PHEV allows you to set the amps to something less than 16A

·
Registered
109 Posts
Yes, the central vac circuit would work great and should you mistakenly try to use both at once, it should trip the breaker.
I believe the 120V charge cable that comes with the PHEV allows you to set the amps to something less than 16A
Thankfully the builder/electrician had the foresight to install a single outlet to prevent other items to be plugged into the same circuit. It was either great foresight or it may have been that he didn't have any duplex 20A outlets during installation day! Now just need to convince someone that it is a good idea to avoid using the central vac--thankfully it looks like I may have at least 2 months to do so.

·
Registered
2020 Niro HEV EX+
700 Posts
Thankfully the builder/electrician had the foresight to install a single outlet to prevent other items to be plugged into the same circuit. It was either great foresight or it may have been that he didn't have any duplex 20A outlets during installation day! Now just need to convince someone that it is a good idea to avoid using the central vac--thankfully it looks like I may have at least 2 months to do so.
Just unplug the vacuum when you plug in the Niro and no problem.

·
Registered
9 Posts
If still looking for charger, best deal I found was and still is at Napa, Shumacher level 1 and 2, 28 foot long for $149. I went with level 2, and from no ev range, to full in 2.5 hours. It didn't seem much faster than the stock charger on level 1 though, but it is heavier, and longer.

·
Administrator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
2,296 Posts
If still looking for charger, best deal I found was and still is at Napa, Shumacher level 1 and 2, 28 foot long for $149. I went with level 2, and from no ev range, to full in 2.5 hours. It didn't seem much faster than the stock charger on level 1 though, but it is heavier, and longer.
A 16 amp Level 2 EVSE will charge a PHEV more than twice as fast as the factory Level 1 EVSE. On Level 1, you have a max of 12 amps, so with Level 2 you not only double the voltage, you increase the current by 1/3. That takes a 5-1/2 hour charge to just under 2 1/2 hours.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Do you know if it UL listed/certified?

·
Registered
109 Posts
I assume so, as it is sold mainstream US, but I am not certain.
I emailed their customer support a few weeks ago and have not received a reply. Not all 120V electronic devices sold in the US need to be UL listed or certified. I am thinking that the Schumacher one is not, otherwise it would be prominently displayed in their marketing material/website.

·
Administrator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
2,296 Posts
I used a non-UL certified EVSE for about a year before my utility offered me a JuiceBox. Since it was "only" 16 amps, I wasn't too concerned with it overheating. It's still lying around my garage somewhere, I really should dig it out and see if someone wants it.

Reactions: vangone

·
Registered
2019 White PHEV EX Prem, Mich Premier AS tires, LED BU lights, window visors 2022 Subaru OB Touring
501 Posts
I used a non-UL certified EVSE for about a year before my utility offered me a JuiceBox. Since it was "only" 16 amps, I wasn't too concerned
@act98092 : I sent you a PM

·
Registered
109 Posts
I was just about to change the single outlet on the dedicated 20A circuit for the central vacuum and found out that code dictates that the central vac is on a single dedicated outlet. Will just do what @Techy suggested in post #8 and plug the vacuum back in after charging is complete.

·
Registered
37 Posts
It was either great foresight or it may have been that he didn't have any duplex 20A outlets during installation day!
It might be required by code. I recall looking into a 20 amp circuit for a window unit and (I think) code called for a single receptacle since it was a constant / high load appliance. Maybe a central vac gets treated the same way? Or maybe it’s just good practice?

·
Administrator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
2,296 Posts
It might be required by code. I recall looking into a 20 amp circuit for a window unit and (I think) code called for a single receptacle since it was a constant / high load appliance. Maybe a central vac gets treated the same way? Or maybe it’s just good practice?
My central vac (home built in 1990) has a duplex outlet. But I do think it would be a good practice.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts