Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had these installed, either by a dealer or other shop? How much did it cost? What do you recommend? Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
592 Posts
Hi bob, what is the model and trim level of the Niro!?

Reactions: Bob

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
These are available on eBay and Amazon as either an on-top seat accessory, or under seat. Might be a good starting point for research. Don't know the cost of accessory shop installation.

·
Super Moderator
555 Posts
In past cars that didn't have the seat warmer option, I had a set of electric warmer covers that I have used. they plugged into the 12v accessory outlet and worked quite well. The only downside was that they were either on when plugged in, or off. they didn't have multiple levels of warming like the factory ones do, and don't have any option to auto turn off, This might have been changed with newer versions sold as this was a good 25+ years ago.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Niro PHEV EX Premium
1,264 Posts
Any decent auto upholstery shop should also be able to install them and that gives a near OEM look. And as the two previous posts mentions there are seat cover options as well, and those would certainly be less costly.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Im sure it wouldn't be cheap, or easy, to buy the rear seat heaters and switchgear from the Canadian trim models and install into the US, that is one option I really wish this car had.

I had thought about, at least for the rear passengers though, getting a heated blanket that plugs in to the 110v outlet in the back, though im not sure what kinda of wattage those things usually run on. more then likely they are too high.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the suggestions, but I'm looking to have them installed by a pro. It's a 2019 Niro PHEV LX. I called the dealer today and they quoted me $525 for the two front seats (existing upholstery is cloth). The controls are off-low-high.

·
Super Moderator
1,264 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions, but I'm looking to have them installed by a pro. It's a 2019 Niro PHEV LX. I called the dealer today and they quoted me $525 for the two front seats (existing upholstery is cloth). The controls are off-low-high.
Interesting. The factory seat heaters are three level, not two. Although I'm basing that on my EX Premium, which has heated and cooled seats. Do the other trims only have two level heating? Not that it will likely matter. I find that I can't have mine above the first level for any length of time because it gets so warm. Far better heated seats than my Outback had. And the heated wheel is vastly better than Subaru as well.

·
Super Moderator
555 Posts
I have the standard EX model and mine has 3 heating levels. You must live in a far warmer area that I am. The heating works in reverse order, in it turns onto max heating and you can lower it from there. I personally don't find the max level to be overly hot. I have had times when I have turned it down, but mostly that is when I have had the cabin heater also turned on. For me I am fine with mostly just having the heated seats and steering wheel, and leaving the cabin heating turned off except for the times you need to turn on the defog to see out the window.

·
Super Moderator
1,264 Posts
I have the standard EX model and mine has 3 heating levels. You must live in a far warmer area that I am. The heating works in reverse order, in it turns onto max heating and you can lower it from there. I personally don't find the max level to be overly hot. I have had times when I have turned it down, but mostly that is when I have had the cabin heater also turned on. For me I am fine with mostly just having the heated seats and steering wheel, and leaving the cabin heating turned off except for the times you need to turn on the defog to see out the window.
Well, Seattle isn't super cold, but it's not super warm either. :) Yes, the first "click" turns them on high, then drops lower. With my Raynaud's, I can't tolerate cold well so my seat and wheel heater are always on when the weather drops into the 50s (F) or below. But even with my condition, the seat heater is more than enough at its lowest level. With my Outback, also three levels, it was almost always on high full time. And the wheel heater on the Sube was only lukewarm, plus didn't heat the upper third of the wheel. The wheel heater on the Niro heats all the way around, and it get's HOT! I love it. :D

·
Super Moderator
592 Posts
Interesting. The factory seat heaters are three level, not two.
Probably that the delaer want to install a "jobber" heated seats!

roadkill401 said:
For me I am fine with mostly just having the heated seats and steering wheel, and leaving the cabin heating turned off except for the times you need to turn on the defog to see out the window.
Doing the same thing. going to work in the morning at -1c for 8.5km. no heat.. juste the steering wheel and seat heated! Still comfortable.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Local shop will do it for $499 but the passenger side won't have heater in seat bottom because of the airbag occupancy sensor. I would have gone with the dealer ($525) but they want the car for three days and the cost of a loaner is $35/day. I'm having it done by the local shop next week - drop off and pick up same day.

·
Super Moderator
555 Posts
Doing the same thing. going to work in the morning at -1c for 8.5km. no heat.. juste the steering wheel and seat heated! Still comfortable.
I know the distance perfectly. It takes about 5-6km for the heater to really even start working, and by the time you get the 8.5km the engine will be perfectly worm and ready to start kicking out heat just in time for the trip to end and you don't need it. Why waste the fuel to have the engine running at a higher rev to warm up enough if you can't use it. I gather that this is likely to involve an amount of in city driving. Too far that you'd never want to walk it, but no real open stretch.

I sometimes have to drop my wife at the GO-Train station that is about the 8km from my house. we get in the car and she complains that the temperature it too cold, and will turn up the heater from 22c to 25c thinking that the act of setting it higher will actually make it get warmer faster. Hint: it makes zero difference. But I guess as I am turning on the heater, I might as well leave it on for the trip back to the house after dropping her off. If it was me, I'd have gone the whole way there an back with just heated seats.

·
Super Moderator
1,264 Posts
My commute is 24km, so it can heat and turn back off for much of the trip.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sort of related, but can I add the heated steering wheel option to my 2020 Niro PHEV EX?

A lot of times the option is already installed as part of an assembly at the factory, but the button is not installed...

Interested in this!

·
Super Moderator
1,264 Posts
Sort of related, but can I add the heated steering wheel option to my 2020 Niro PHEV EX?

A lot of times the option is already installed as part of an assembly at the factory, but the button is not installed...

Interested in this!
Probably not cost effective. I really doubt the existing wheel has the heating elements, so you'd need the wheel, a different wiring harness that goes up the steering column, the switch and associated wiring, and who knows what else. Depending on how it's designed, the CAN BUS might need reprogramming. That all adds up to a lot of money.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Probably not cost effective. I really doubt the existing wheel has the heating elements, so you'd need the wheel, a different wiring harness that goes up the steering column, the switch and associated wiring, and who knows what else. Depending on how it's designed, the CAN BUS might need reprogramming. That all adds up to a lot of money.
I'm used to tearing cars apart a bit, so I'm not worried about the labor. I wonder if I could grab parts off if a salvage EX Premium and pop the blank switch out and replace the wiring. I'm hoping it's a simple plug & play into the existing harness?

I'm also going to try to call the local dealership to see if it's something that they can either do, or sell me the parts to do.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts