Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

My 2018 PHEV refuses to blow cold air.

On the 15.5C setting, the air is generally warm, with blower going full speed, and not cooling at all.

Under the bonnet (hood) the A/C pipes do not get cold at all.

The dealer says they have re-gassed it (without a good reason in my opinion - its only a year old!!), and no errors are reported.

The dealer doesn't seem to know what to do next and is planning to remove the refrigerant to check the quantity.

My limited experience of this sort of thing tells me that they should be checking for a leak without refrigerant before anything else.

This is their second attempt to repair - the first time they "re-gassed it" but they couldn't have checked it before handing it back, because it was blowing warm as soon as I got in it and didn't get any better.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Hi,

My 2018 PHEV refuses to blow cold air.

On the 15.5C setting, the air is generally warm, with blower going full speed, and not cooling at all.

Under the bonnet (hood) the A/C pipes do not get cold at all.

The dealer says they have re-gassed it (without a good reason in my opinion - its only a year old!!), and no errors are reported.

The dealer doesn't seem to know what to do next and is planning to remove the refrigerant to check the quantity.

My limited experience of this sort of thing tells me that they should be checking for a leak without refrigerant before anything else.

This is their second attempt to repair - the first time they "re-gassed it" but they couldn't have checked it before handing it back, because it was blowing warm as soon as I got in it and didn't get any better.
I don't have a lot of experience with A/C systems, but what you're describing sounds like the compressor is not coming on for some reason. It could be a leak or a sensor issue. A/C systems are designed to protect the compressor by not turning it on if the refrigerant pressures aren't within normal limits. If you have a bad sensor that could cause the symptoms you're having.

Can you take it to a different dealer? It sounds like your current one is not capable of dealing with this issue.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I was having similar thoughts - find a dealer who employs technicians with a deeper understanding of A/C. That might be easier said than done: with a conventional car, there's usually a belt that turns a pulley, and the pulley has a magnetic clutch, which turns the AC compressor pump. It's pretty easy to throw up the hood and see if the compressor is turning or not. With a trained ear, you can also notice the engine RPM slowing when the magnetic clutch engages and starts turning the compressor. But the Niro uses an electrically powered A/C system and so those "conventional car" techniques won't work to diagnose a problem. The first thing I'd be checking if I had your symptoms would be the fuses.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts