Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hybrids generally don't provide very much all electric range, so there wont be much difference in their efficiency depending on temperature. I didn't realize that the new Leaf had so many rules and conditions to maximize the battery's life and range.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Hybrids generally don't provide very much all electric range, so there wont be much difference in their efficiency depending on temperature.
There is a huge difference in efficiency of any car in different temperatures. ICE, diesel, hybrid, PHEV, and BEV. The difference in four season climates is striking in a hybrid, and if you Google why hybrids "get bad mileage" in the wintertime, you will find plenty of write ups. Still better mpg than a regular car though.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Battery life can take a 50% hit when it gets cold because of winter tires and blasting the heat. Would rather not have to make the choice between staying warm of getting to the next charge point. A hybrid provides us with more security.

·
Registered
365 Posts
My former employer has a fleet of Leafs and Volts.

They built charging stations so they used them as advertising and employees could use them if available.

One office was in Asheville NC, and in the cold the Miles to Discharged in the Volt would sometimes be single digits. Once I saw 7 miles on a car that was on the charger overnight when it was below zero overnight.

Physics, you can't fight it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
i only makes sense that keeping the thousand of battery cells in the array at a closed range of temps would prolong the internal structure of the batteries as well as all the connecting wires, clips, plugs. extreme temp ranges can play havoc on any electrical component.

·
Registered
88 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Dunno If any of you remember the Fiskar EV, but it failed hugely with fires esp here in SoCal. Starting to see some anecdotal reports involving Tesla's as well. One caught fire in Santa Monica CA just a few days ago. Apparently no "official" cause as of yet. Hope it's OK to post this link:

https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1117266_directors-tesla-model-s-catches-fire-in-l-a
Nearly all of the tesla fires have been the result of pretty serious damage to the battery pack. I'm going to guess this latest one will prove similar. The driver claims he didn't hit anything, but it could have happened on a previous drive. I'm sure Tesla and the fire dept will do a full investigation as to the cause.

·
Registered
88 Posts
So how is the batt pack being damaged? TBH I don't know exactly where they are physically on Teslas but assuming they are mounted at the bottom of the body pan as others are, I can only guess is it due to scrapping the body pan on our crappy LA area roads? I have a friend who has moved from a BMW i3 car to a Chevy Bolt and he's done fine with both in the flaming to the pavement issue...ie NADA.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
I think one of the first Tesla fires was from hitting debris. After that, they recalled the cars to install a heavier body pan under the battery area.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I’ve had 2 Leafs, a Volt and a Prius, now I just traded my LEAF for the Niro PHEV due to my commute. Range anxiety was only Year’s ago in 2012 when I got my first Leaf. There wasn’t the charging infrastructure there is today. Yes I could of kept the leaf and commuted in the SFBay area essily, but frankly I didn’t want to DCQC every day I commuted to work. Air cooled batteries in the LEAF and I-Miev were always a bad idea, and time always degrades batteries as well. But the active cooling management in the VOLT and BOLTs will continue to prove in reliability and longevity down the road.

At least the Niro PHEV has a cooling fan on the battery pack to help with the heat.

Would I get another leaf ? In a heart beat, they are awesome cars and I’d love to find one and convert it to a track car

1 - 12 of 12 Posts