Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A Hyundai spokesperson revealed at the 2016 Beijing Auto Show their plans tot come out with an all electric SUV in two years time. So in 2018, or around that time, we could be seeing a electric SUV and they claim it can travel up to 320 kilometers (200 miles).

You may be thinking that they would use the Niro platform for it since it already has a hybrid variant but no, Hyundai plans to put it on a new platform that will be built specifically for all-electric applications.

·
Registered
40 Posts
As tempting as that is, I'm not sure I can wait until 2018 or later than that. If they release a confirmation then I may lease the Niro instead of outright buying it but that's all dependent on when the make the announcement and what the production model is like.

·
Registered
151 Posts
200 miles is quite a goal. Hard enough with a car, that Ford apparently is shooting for in 2019, but with an SUV ? That's a lot more weight to lug around..

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't think there are any electric SUVs out yet. Closes one I can think of is Tesla's Model X but it's not really an SUV. Would be great if there's more variety in the electric vehicle market but as DeNiro said, it's vaporware right now.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Audi Q6 e-tron SUV is slated for a 2018 release. That's around the time when Kia's electric SUV is coming out too. It'll be down to mileage and how much they cost. I think the Q6 e-tron is suppposed to come with 310-mile range so it'd be great if Kia can release something similar.

·
Registered
151 Posts
It would be great if the range was in the same proximity. But I strongly think the Audi is gonna be priced quite a bit higher than the Kia would be

·
Registered
289 Posts
The Audi will no doubt be priced much higher, it's only natural to expect that due to the difference in pricing of Chevy's and Audi's, they're in completely different segments.

Something more comparable would be a product from Cadillac, that's where you can directly compare.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Yea I guess I can see Cadillac being a competitor in that sector. They don't have an all electric suv yet though... do they ?

·
Registered
289 Posts
They don't yet but being under the GM umbrella its only a matter of time. All they have to do is use the same platform Chevy uses for the Volt, i'm sure somewhere there's information about the Volt platform being built with CUV's in mind.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Doubt Kia will go with an all electric SRX, heard that the all electric SUV is going to ride on a dedicated platform so I assume the body design will not look like what they already have in the lineup.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts