Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I bought my Niro on July 6th 2020 with 23 miles on it. Today during my longish commute I passed the 1,000 mile mark. I'm still learning a ton on how to better drive the Niro to get the most out of it.

I am looking ahead at oil options. The sticker in the window from the dealer says 5,000 miles it's due for an oil change and I'm fine with doing 5k oil changes but with how much I drive, if it could go 7500 miles between changes, I would be okay with that as long as that kept me within my warranty. I'll be keeping all my receipts and only using the oil that then engine calls for. I've always been a fan of replacing the drain plug with a magnetic plug to help catch little random metal particles.

Anyway, i'm looking forward to getting the Niro tinted to my liking. I am also waiting to find out if the 2019 and earlier Weathertech floor liners will work in the 2020 models but other than that, I'm just looking forward to racking up the miles and passing more gas stations than ever before!

·
Registered
691 Posts
Hey all, I bought my Niro on July 6th 2020 with 23 miles on it. Today during my longish commute I passed the 1,000 mile mark. I'm still learning a ton on how to better drive the Niro to get the most out of it.

I am looking ahead at oil options. The sticker in the window from the dealer says 5,000 miles it's due for an oil change and I'm fine with doing 5k oil changes but with how much I drive, if it could go 7500 miles between changes, I would be okay with that as long as that kept me within my warranty. I'll be keeping all my receipts and only using the oil that then engine calls for. I've always been a fan of replacing the drain plug with a magnetic plug to help catch little random metal particles.

Anyway, i'm looking forward to getting the Niro tinted to my liking. I am also waiting to find out if the 2019 and earlier Weathertech floor liners will work in the 2020 models but other than that, I'm just looking forward to racking up the miles and passing more gas stations than ever before!
Welcome! What year/model did you get?

Oil changes are a fun topic on every car forum. For myself I've settled on a 10K mile interval. Sort of arbitrary but the even number makes it easy to remember when to change it. If I had the inclination I'd do what some are doing and have the oil analyzed and only change it when it's necessary. Given that I do it myself and how cheap the oil and filter are though I figure 10K miles is a good compromise.

Reactions: Dovidan

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome! What year/model did you get?

Oil changes are a fun topic on every car forum. For myself I've settled on a 10K mile interval. Sort of arbitrary but the even number makes it easy to remember when to change it. If I had the inclination I'd do what some are doing and have the oil analyzed and only change it when it's necessary. Given that I do it myself and how cheap the oil and filter are though I figure 10K miles is a good compromise.
I bought the 2020 Touring in cerulean blue. I already have a couple Blackstone Labs test kits that I have been planning on using one on my '03 Ford Ranger once it hits 250,000 miles which shouldn't be too long.

Over the years I have had 25 or 26 vehicles and have enjoyed reading thousands of people's oil change suggestions. Right or wrong, people go bonkers on that topic and some of those threads **** near turn into a knife fight lol.

My main concern is making sure I don't void the warranty by doing regular maintenance myself. I also really like keeping intervals on easy numbers even though I keep a log book. With as much as I drive, I would love to go 7500 or even 10k between changes as long as that is okay for the engine and won't affect the warranty, I'm going to keep the receipts and all that but I want to make sure I'm doing it at the right time. With this vehicle, I am keeping to the book on oil weight, filters, etc...full synthetic and preferably the same brand every time. I'm not sure what oil brand Kia recommends or what 'spec' these engines have to meet but once I find the oil I'm going to keep using the same oil for each change. I used to get super geeked out over oil brands and yeah I do believe Mobil One is better than a random quart that you might find on the shelf at some sketchy gas station but other than that all the big name oil brands are great, I've learned that changing your oil at the right time regularly is the most important thing.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I bought the 2020 Touring in cerulean blue. I already have a couple Blackstone Labs test kits that I have been planning on using one on my '03 Ford Ranger once it hits 250,000 miles which shouldn't be too long.

Over the years I have had 25 or 26 vehicles and have enjoyed reading thousands of people's oil change suggestions. Right or wrong, people go bonkers on that topic and some of those threads **** near turn into a knife fight lol.

My main concern is making sure I don't void the warranty by doing regular maintenance myself. I also really like keeping intervals on easy numbers even though I keep a log book. With as much as I drive, I would love to go 7500 or even 10k between changes as long as that is okay for the engine and won't affect the warranty, I'm going to keep the receipts and all that but I want to make sure I'm doing it at the right time. With this vehicle, I am keeping to the book on oil weight, filters, etc...full synthetic and preferably the same brand every time. I'm not sure what oil brand Kia recommends or what 'spec' these engines have to meet but once I find the oil I'm going to keep using the same oil for each change. I used to get super geeked out over oil brands and yeah I do believe Mobil One is better than a random quart that you might find on the shelf at some sketchy gas station but other than that all the big name oil brands are great, I've learned that changing your oil at the right time regularly is the most important thing.
The probability of an oil related failure is pretty remote with modern synthetic oils so I wouldn't stress too much about voiding your warranty by stretching your interval a bit. Plus, any warranty issue would have to be directly related to the oil in order for it to be affected. As to what oil Kia recommends, any 0W-20 API SN spec oil will do. They recommend Total, which I like just fine for my TDI, but I tend to just get Mobil One at Walmart for the Niro. KIa also specs 5W-20, 5W-30 and 10W-30 depending on local conditions. Most people here stick with the 0 weight oils on the theory that the lighter oil leads to increased efficiency.

As I've heard many times, "Drive more. worry less". Good luck!

Reactions: Dovidan
1 - 4 of 4 Posts