Kia Niro Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I plug my samsung smart phone into the car the AA will come on and I can use google maps on the center screen.

However usually after 5-10 minutes it will start blinking cannot connect, phone is not responding. I will unplug and plug it back in. This usually fixes it for another few minutes, but then the blinking will restart.

Brought it to the dealer since I am still under warranty, but said there is no fix. They said they could replace the entire center council, but that would likely not do anything.

Has anyone encountered this? Any fixes?

Thanks,
BP

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We use Samsung Galaxy J7 and have never experienced this problem. Do you think your phone or cord may be the issue?
Possibly. I know the new Samsung's have bigger cord ports for more power/faster charging. So this may be what's causing the issue.

The new updates haven't fixed the issue yet tho :(

·
Registered
66 Posts
Google and Kia were blaming each other for this. I had an LG G5 that connected with no issues then when i got a G7 with the c type connected it started acting up. Originally i was using an aftermarket cord but switching to the OEM cord fixed my issue.

·
Registered
2020 Niro PHEV LXS
80 Posts
Just putting this out there. Disconnect from your home wifi before you leave. Sometimes, android can have connection issues moving from wifi to tower (wifi to 4g) and will cause a hiccup. It can take time to notice because your phone prepares ahead for what you want it to do and then you drive out of range of that original guess download.

total 100% guess.

·
Super Moderator
567 Posts
Switching to CarPlay fixes almost all AA issues!
I found it more problems with CarPlay. the worst one is that you have to remember to unlock your iphone before you can plug it in. However you only then have 10 seconds to remember to put the phone down in the correct space and turn on your car to enable the usb port on the car so that CarPlay can be recognized. if you don't in that time then the phone will go back into locked mode and you can't use the CarPlay. As i have an XR it uses the faceID to unlock the phone so you can't unlock it without picking it up. That is illegal with the car turned on.

·
Administrator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
2,379 Posts
I don't have to unlock my phone to use CarPlay. Yes, the first time I plugged it in I had to, and on occasion after an iOS update I might have to again. But that's not something that happens very often. Mine is an XR as well.

·
Registered
2020 Niro PHEV DynamicPlusLine
30 Posts
I have a Sony Xperia XZ2 Compact (H8324-Android 10) and use the original Sony USB cable.
Up and until the last update (half April 2021) of the Niro PHEV (MY20) Android Auto worked fine.
But since this last update my phone is no longer connected. The communication can not be started ....

My wife's Sony Xperia X Compact (Android 9) has the AA app installed and it works great both before and after the update of the Niro.

My conclusion is that the USB cable is OK and that AA is working in the Niro. But I have no clue why my phone no longer communicates with the car's entertainment unit.

Anybody with a bright idea what the root cause can be?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a Sony Xperia XZ2 Compact (H8324-Android 10) and use the original Sony USB cable.
Up and until the last update (half April 2021) of the Niro PHEV (MY20) Android Auto worked fine.
But since this last update my phone is no longer connected. The communication can not be started ....

My wife's Sony Xperia X Compact (Android 9) has the AA app installed and it works great both before and after the update of the Niro.

My conclusion is that the USB cable is OK and that AA is working in the Niro. But I have no clue why my phone no longer communicates with the car's entertainment unit.

Anybody with a bright idea what the root cause can be?
Have you turned on the Dual apps? There seems to be inconsistency with Dual apps and android Auto

·
Registered
8 Posts
I don't think so as I have no clue what Dual app is. I checked the phone but no Dual anywhere.
Here is a link for some background info for dual apps so you can get familiar Dual Whatsapp: How to use dual WhatsApp in one smartphone
(if activated by accident)

Based on what you have mentioned, the difference between your and your wife's phone is the AA comes native in Android 10. (Not sure if this may be the cause for this - more info here: I can't find the Android Auto app on my phone - Android Auto Help)

My advice would be the following: delete cached data of AA on your phone and try again. (Try steps 7 and 8 of this guide Android Auto Not Working? 8 Fixes to Try)

I hope that helps.

·
Registered
2020 Niro PHEV DynamicPlusLine
30 Posts
Hy Tony,
With finally warm weather here in The Netherlands (yesterday between 0 and 8 C, now maxing at 25 C) I went to the car and played with all the help information I got from you.
Sometimes a window showed up, very briefly, about AA asking for a permission but which was denied automatically by default. There was no time to press ACCEPT as the time it was on the display was much to short. I started to bang on the screen of the phone (where ACCEPT sometimes pop-up and yes, after numerous tries I hit it and a screen opened in which AA asks for permission. After acceptance the Niro opened the AA screen.

No clue why it stopped working after the sw-update of the car, but now very happy that my phone-car combination works again!

Thank you for you help. Highly appreciated.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
The head unit "registers" phones. If there has been more than one phone, going through the settings and deleting all phones and starting over can help - at least that was the case with an iPhone switch. As I recall, one issue caused was having to unlock the phone every time I connected it.

I recently switched again without trouble or messing with settings, however noticing that Bluetooth no longer connected phone calls. As I found this annoying anyway, I don't mind its absence - most calls I get are spam, and most of the time I have a cable attached.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I've had the same issue. First with the only phone the car had ever known (Samsung S8+), and then I got a new phone (Samsung S20FE). And a new cable. And had the port replaced in the Niro. Same issue. It's so frustrating it makes me want to trade in my car. But I have a 2017 Touring, and no other car in my price range has heated steering wheels which I also love and depend on in winter...

·
Registered
1 Posts
When I plug my samsung smart phone into the car the AA will come on and I can use google maps on the center screen.

However usually after 5-10 minutes it will start blinking cannot connect, phone is not responding. I will unplug and plug it back in. This usually fixes it for another few minutes, but then the blinking will restart.

Brought it to the dealer since I am still under warranty, but said there is no fix. They said they could replace the entire center council, but that would likely not do anything.

Has anyone encountered this? Any fixes?

Thanks,
BP

·
Registered
645 Posts
Mine worked for 5 years. Several cables over that timeframe. Samsung S8+ and the Harmon Kardon stereo in the Touring model

Then, android Auto got an update and now it connects fine but the cars audio never gets switched to Android autos audio. It works on a rental Nissan, just not the Niro.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have the 2017 Touring Edition Niro. My phone began disconnecting from the USB about six months into my purchase. At first, it would happen every 30-60 minutes. Service could never figure out why. I tried multiple different cords. It also happened with my wife's Apple. (I have had Samsung Android phones). Oh yeah, this problem has continued with three different Android phones and two different Apple phones. The last couple years, it disconnected about every 10-15 minutes. Just lately, the car system failed to voice directions or respond to Google Assistant. Also, the Google map screen would always stay in night mode even though it was daytime and the phone map screen was fine. Google maps worked fine on my phone. Of course, it stopped working just after my 60,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty. (Service says entertainment unit only had a 3 year warranty anyway.) I complained every year; sometimes twice a year so there was written documentation of problems from the beginning. Kia Corporate agreed to replace the audio unit as a "goodwill" gesture". So kudos to Kia for doing that. Otherwise, would have cost over $1700 for me to replace it. We'll see next week if this solves the problem.

Don't stop complaining to your service department. At least you have a record of your complaints should the problem become worse than just a constant disconnect like mine.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts