Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an older phone and have to use Android Auto via a usb cord to my phone. I was told with newer a Android operating system (8.0 Oreo) you could use Android Auto fully wireless via Bluetooth. Can anyone confirm?

·
Registered
249 Posts
I have an older phone and have to use Android Auto via a usb cord to my phone. I was told with newer a Android operating system (8.0 Oreo) you could use Android Auto fully wireless via Bluetooth. Can anyone confirm?
In my experience, using Android 9.0 on a Pixel phone, I don't get the Android auto features unless I plug in the USB cable. I only get the normal Bluetooth features (phone calls, etc.). The Android auto option doesn't pop up in my Niro's display until I plug in.

·
Super Moderator
551 Posts
Google has developed a wireless version of Andoid Auto but it needs to be implemented into the head unit as well as requiring Andriod 8.0 or higher. I don't think that there are many cars out there that do it wirelessly right now. requires more performance demand on the head unit. UVO currently does not.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Welcome to the forum. If wireless capability is indeed something that Android Auto plans on offering, I don't think its been rolled out yet. I'm a bit skeptical of it being something than can be implemented just with software.

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
I think wireless capability is now available on CarPlay, but same issue. You need a compatible head unit, which means buying a new car from a very restricted list of models.

·
Registered
178 Posts
The Niro manual states that the phone MUST be plugged in for it to work. So yes, head unit software would need to be updated as well, not just a phone OS update/upgrade.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Android Auto

I have a 2018 Touring trim level and it still requires the phone to be plugged into the USB for the head unit. I would think that this would require the head unit to be cast to in some sort of way.

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
Seems bizarre that phone calls work on Bluetooth but not the rest of CarPlay.

·
Super Moderator
551 Posts
The implementation of wireless andriod auto uses wifi instead of bluetooth. So the head unit needs to have wifi capability to work. I don't know if the current Niro units do??

·
Super Moderator
551 Posts
Not if both AA and CP updates make it work with compatible cars. I can't think of any function that requires bandwidth anyway other than a software or built in map update.

the bandwidth is that you are doing a screen projection from the phone onto your 7" (or 8") screen. Now there are ways to doing better compression for streaming screen updates but I don't think the block size and throughput on Bluetooth is enough to do screen image updates depending on what is being projected. Sure doing music is not a big deal, but I don't know if constant moving maps or any screen update intesive program will work. From Googles side it''s better to just require a plug rather than having screen issues.

·
Super Moderator
589 Posts
The implementation of wireless andriod auto uses wifi instead of bluetooth. So the head unit needs to have wifi capability to work. I don't know if the current Niro units do??

No, it dont... i had the privilege to test the Google Pixel 3 for a couple of day's and in the Niro. no android auto wirereless BUT, recharge is now available with QI.. so it is the head unit that is not compatible.

will have too see with the 2019..

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
the bandwidth is that you are doing a screen projection from the phone onto your 7" (or 8") screen. Now there are ways to doing better compression for streaming screen updates but I don't think the block size and throughput on Bluetooth is enough to do screen image updates depending on what is being projected. Sure doing music is not a big deal, but I don't know if constant moving maps or any screen update intesive program will work. From Googles side it''s better to just require a plug rather than having screen issues.
I did forget about screen draws. But since both Android and Apple claim to have full functionality through Bluetooth on compatible cars, I assume it is possible. Perhaps those models cache much of the possible screens. Only maps might be slower for the first draw.

·
Registered
75 Posts
This is hardware vs software issue. It seems like the car manufacturers would come up with some kind of docking station for better integration.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts