Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Android Auto is really making me CRAZY! The voice activation is so inconsistent! It works correctly about 40% of the time....it's almost funny the things it does but is really getting under my skin. I'll transcribe some of the wacky conversations I have with it, but just wondered if anyone else has this problem. It seems to be getting worse, too.

·
Registered
225 Posts
The voice recognition is the same as the Google assistant on your home computer, so should work as well.. Mine has been very good so far.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The problems I have with Android Auto just show it's poorly written software.

- very slow
- cannot make map directions announce while on a call
- maps screen is very clunky, the direction covers too much of the map, zooming in and out is hard, and the places and recent suggestions is worthless, ETA won't show if you zoom out
- Google music is just about as bad of a music player as you can get
- every time I get or make a phone call and I'm navigating, it switches away from the map, forcing me to distract my driving and put it back (and it won't announce directions on the call)
- completely handicaps my phone while it's plugged in, unless I go to recent apps then hit the home button on my Galaxy. Again, makes it more distracting to pick up the phone if I need to use a different app

Just awful, lame software in my opinion. As if the developers never took a drive in the car with it and tested.

·
Registered
4 Posts

- very slow
- maps screen is very clunky, the direction covers too much of the map, zooming in and out is hard, and the places and recent suggestions is worthless, ETA won't show if you zoom out
- every time I get or make a phone call and I'm navigating, it switches away from the map, forcing me to distract my driving and put it back (and it won't announce directions on the call)
- completely handicaps my phone while it's plugged in, unless I go to recent apps then hit the home button on my Galaxy. Again, makes it more distracting to pick up the phone if I need to use a different app

Just awful, lame software in my opinion. As if the developers never took a drive in the car with it and tested.
If you don't like the Google Maps navigation, try Waze which also supports Android Auto now.

Google Music is pretty good if you have a subscription. It's easy to play any song just by talking to the car and naming the song and artist. You can otherwise set up playlists and easily access them from the Android Auto screen.

You shouldn't need to pick up your phone whilst driving. Android Auto is designed to stop you having to do so. If you really need to use another app, then just pull over and unplug the phone. For the rest of us, especially in countries like the UK where even touching your phone whilst the car is running is illegal, Android Auto is great.

·
Registered
19 Posts

- very slow

Agreed...it's a start, but the developers need to sit down in the vehicles and use the app as a driver would, rather than a developer's idea of what a driver needs. Hated the auto-play on the music player (Pandora) and found the app that would kill it before it started.

·
Registered
23 Posts
If you don't like the Google Maps navigation, try Waze which also supports Android Auto now.

Google Music is pretty good if you have a subscription. It's easy to play any song just by talking to the car and naming the song and artist. You can otherwise set up playlists and easily access them from the Android Auto screen.

You shouldn't need to pick up your phone whilst driving. Android Auto is designed to stop you having to do so. If you really need to use another app, then just pull over and unplug the phone. For the rest of us, especially in countries like the UK where even touching your phone whilst the car is running is illegal, Android Auto is great.
I will have to try Waze. But still, Google did a sloppy job on this considering how good the actual Navigation app on the phone is. Having to zoom out and change the view on the maps with your hand is a visual distraction, as bad as using the phone handheld.

The problem is that they designed an app which replaces the music player, but it only works fully if you have Google Music subscription... I have never met anyone in my life who has one. Why can't it just be normal?

In the US I believe many states have made it illegal to hold a phone while driving too. Nonetheless, people will do it regardless of the law. I feel that the cumbersome things like switching of screens when an incoming call is received, and the return to Android home screen, will just make distracted drivers put more effort into getting to their other apps.

It would be nice if AA displayed SMS messages as well as voice announcing.

Forgive me. This is a Kia forum and AA has nothing to do with Kia.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have a Pioneer AVIC 8200 in another car and the Niro with the stock Head unit. I must say in general Kia did a good job with the stock 7" unit. It works great and sounds very good.

Last year I compared both Android auto and Car Play, while I'm currently using an iPhone I can't try both with the Niro's unit.

But IMO the voice recognition on both was good, I'd give a slight nod to Google, but I prefer the carplay interface.

Google maps are so superior to apple maps, it's got me wanting to buy an android phone for this reason alone.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I use Waze all the time. I absolutely adore it. It is really fun for traveling. In town not so much.

I have noticed that no matter how many times I tell it something it thinks is wrong, no update ever happens. It thinks a speed is 30 when it really is 40, and I tell the update to waze but it never updates, same thing with construction zones.

I like android auto so much so, that my other car is getting it's head unit replaced just so I can use it in it.

Above and by for the absolute best feature I have noticed is the text messaging that is all done through voice. For me, it simply works. It's pretty funny when it reads back something completely different than what I said, but still works wonderfully.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I have noticed that no matter how many times I tell it something it thinks is wrong, no update ever happens. It thinks a speed is 30 when it really is 40, and I tell the update to waze but it never updates, same thing with construction zones.
Waze updates are made by volunteers through the website. They have to approve any submitted changes and in some places are overwhelmed. You can be one ;-) although you need to be experienced to be allowed to make certain edits.

Not sure what you expect to happen with a construction report though. Those are usually temporary. You need to report a map issue if it?s a long term closure the map should be updated for.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's so odd that I'm the only one having these silly issues with the AI voice on Android Auto. When I use my phone independent of the car, it works fine, but when it's plugged in, it doesn't understand anything correctly. It misunderstands what i say, tells me stuff that i know isn't true, (For example, that my husband doesn't exist in my contacts). But mostly it just doesn't understand me. Wah! The things that it does and says can't be blamed entirely on the mic, but I wonder if that could be part of the problem. ANyone know where the mic is located? Thanks!

·
Registered
62 Posts
It's so odd that I'm the only one having these silly issues with the AI voice on Android Auto. When I use my phone independent of the car, it works fine, but when it's plugged in, it doesn't understand anything correctly. It misunderstands what i say, tells me stuff that i know isn't true, (For example, that my husband doesn't exist in my contacts). But mostly it just doesn't understand me. Wah! The things that it does and says can't be blamed entirely on the mic, but I wonder if that could be part of the problem. ANyone know where the mic is located? Thanks!
I wonder if it matters where you are "aiming" your voice. I was told the cars have two microphones, by the lights on the ceiling and near the center buttons by the temp control.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Waze updates are made by volunteers through the website. They have to approve any submitted changes and in some places are overwhelmed. You can be one ;-) although you need to be experienced to be allowed to make certain edits.

Not sure what you expect to happen with a construction report though. Those are usually temporary. You need to report a map issue if it?s a long term closure the map should be updated for.
I didn't know that, I'll see if I can do it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
i have problems with MLB At Bat. It shows the games available and then it says t's not working. When the games appear and I can select them it says the game is no longer available. I've tried uninstalling Android Auto, MLB At Bat and reinstalling with any luck.

Anybody know anything?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Still having problems with Andriod Auto. When using Waze, when I use the voice command for a location, the location appears in the list, but when I select it, it flashes by really fast on the map screen, and disappears so you can't select GO to start the navigation. The other issue is still MLB. The games have been appearing, but when you select it, the message is that the game is no longer available, even though the game is still on or is in warm up. There have been a few updates to Android Auto and MLB AT BAT, but nothing has solved the issues

1 - 17 of 17 Posts