Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I test drove a lot of older model Niros before I decided to buy new. I bought a 2019 just before the 2020s were introduced in the US. I had the car for about a week when I experienced the first bing clunk. I'm a little old lady and it scared me so bad I pulled immediately off the road to see what I had hit. When I couldn't find any explanation, I just drove home and didn't say anything to anybody. A couple of days later my son borrowed my car; he brought it back saying there was something wrong with it because there was a terrible clunk and jerk when he started forward at a stop light, Then I knew it wasn't just me. When I took it back to the dealer for the new car checkup, I mentioned the problem and asked them to check it. I was told I would have to make a separate appointment. My dealer is an hour away and before I could get back again, we went into lockdown for the pandemic. I tried calling Kia national and they just referred me back to the dealer. Since I am at high risk and care for elderly parents who are at very high risk, I haven't been brave enough to go back again. The problem continues, specifically when there are quick changes from brake to accelerator (think braking for a stop light that turns green) or from reverse to drive. Either I have gotten more used to them or they are not as bad as the first one. I love everything else about my new car but this is AWFUL!

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
I'm not entirely sure from your description, but if this happens at a full stop, I'd suspect the hill hold feature. While that feature is intended to hold you for a just a little bit of time on a hill so you can get move your foot off the brake going without the car going backwards until you get on the accelerator, it happens on any stop with a firm push. This leads to a scary delayed takeoff when you are crossing or turning into traffic. If something is loose, or this feature tries to hold the brake too long, it could lead to exactly what you are describing. Try to see if you can replicate this on a weekend in a deserted large parking lot. If so, you won't have any problem demonstrating it to the dealer mechanic. I'd call this a serious safety issue that should be addressed by the dealer as soon as possible.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I agree. Try to duplicate the problem and learn how to duplicate it. This would be considered a drive ability problem by the dealership. Drive ability problems are the hardest ones to fix, especially when the dealership can’t replicate the problem. So if they can’t replicate the problem, they will say there was no problem found and send you on your merry way.

But when you can duplicate the problem, and get a service tech supervisor to ride with you so they can see what it does, it makes it a LOT harder for a dealership to sweep the problem under a rug so to speak, and it makes it so they admit there is a problem. Sometimes catching the problem on a video recording on your phone can help a lot too.

·
Registered
21 Posts
There's a stickied thread at the top of this forum on the issue and a couple other threads on the first page. There seems to have been a bad batch of transmissions on the 2019s that produces the clunk/jerk. Sometimes a reflash of the computer fixes it.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Niro Hybrid LX
51 Posts
There's a stickied thread at the top of this forum on the issue and a couple other threads on the first page. There seems to have been a bad batch of transmissions on the 2019s that produces the clunk/jerk. Sometimes a reflash of the computer fixes it.
I’m surprised because I already put 10k miles on my car and I never had any problems with the transmission.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts