Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm kinda late posting this, since I'm not really a "new" memeber anymore, but two months ago I started hunting for an EX Premium plug-in. two weeks ago I gave up that search, and yesterday, I picked up a red EX non-plug-in with the Premium Package, charchoal interior. Which I was very surprised at, I expected it to be a lot darker than it actually is, turns out I like it quite a bit. Drives great, still getting used to driving a hybrid, but it's definitely interesting how QUIET the thing is at low speeds! My wife is amazed at how big it is on the inside (she's driving my Jeep Cherokee now, she's got a much shorter commute than me, and can't work from home).

I'm still messing around with things, but so far overall I just love it. The height is perfect, just like the Soul, not too tall, not too short, the hip point is just about right for sliding in. Great headroom too, and with gas rising about $3 a gallon, I'm glad I didn't wait much longer.

There are a couple of disappointments: the USB port in the dash only delivers 0.5A @5W, that's hardly anything and really not enough to keep a phone charged, even when using Android Auto. So I'm rigging up a splitter so I can plug power into one of the power points and just use the USB port on the dash for data. Just got everything for it today and will be testing it tomorrow. Also can't get the WiFi to connect to my home access point for some reason, but I'm not sure that's actually going to matter much anyway. Also need to get UVO eServices setup, that's also on the list for tomorrow.

I'm essentially coming from a Mazda3, though sometimes I also drive the Cherokee. I loved that Mazda, but the mileage in traffic just sucked, and it was pretty tight inside (the back seat was borderline useless except for kids).

·
Registered
28 Posts
Nice, yeah that's the same as mine, except mine is gray. For me, the Niro replaced a 2012 VW Jetta diesel wagon. I love wagons, and while I don't consider the Niro a wagon, I like it for the same general reasons - it's car-like, based on a car platform and not an SUV, and has a ton of room in thee back with the seats down. It also gets significantly better MPG than the diesel did, even though I averaged 37-38 mpg in it.

·
Registered
88 Posts
In regards to the USB charge issue you could try an adapter like the couple I have from Amazon that gives a better charge. I had them in my C-Max and Mini and a Subi Forester and they worked great in all those cars. Look for one that has the dual slots since one is usually rated for an Ipad and more amps. You can pop into one of the Accessory (old school lighter) plugs and you should be good to go. At least in my Touring there is also a accessory port inside the center armrest...haven't used that yet since the stock USB or the wireless charge option I have for my iPhone 8 is what I use.

The Wifi is fussy...it took me several tries for it to see my router just next to my garage. It works fine now but I'm completely baffled as to what the heck the UVO actually does for us HEV owners. I just jumped thru the hoops and maybe down the road it will be worth something. I did download a Yelp app but heck I have that on my fone anyway so what's the point?! I set up the diagnostic option to give me a report on the 18th of the month so I'll see if that works in a coupla days.

I like the Niro a lot (my 2nd Hybrid following a Ford C-Max) but I get the feeling that KIA like many other "smart" car makers have rushed a lot of stuff to the market to be sorted out later.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Ah yes I see...it's the same for my iPhone with Carplay...indeed it needs the USB. How much do you need a charge up for?. I usually like to make sure I'm topped up at the home before I leave in the car. However if you're a business road warrior then I can see the need for heavy lifting in your charge needs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts