Kia Niro Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to France for 1 year. I have a Kia Niro 2019 hybrid. The car will be parked in a covered garage in my house. Is there anything special I should do before leaving?
Should I unplug the battery? I did the oil change 1 week ago.

·
Registered
2020 Niro HEV EX+
808 Posts
I don't think Kia will be very helpful but you can certainly connect with them.
I would put some fresh gas (non-ethanol if possible) in the tank and add fuel stabilizer. Tank does not have to be full.
Try to store with traction battery at least 60% charged.
Maybe pump tires up to 50 psi but remember to reduce pressure when you return.
Please report back here when you return in a year as storage almost always affects cars is some way.

·
Registered
983 Posts
I don't think Kia will be very helpful but you can certainly connect with them.
I would put some fresh gas (non-ethanol if possible) in the tank and add fuel stabilizer. Tank does not have to be full.
Try to store with traction battery at least 60% charged.
Maybe pump tires up to 50 psi but remember to reduce pressure when you return.
Please report back here when you return in a year as storage almost always affects cars is some way.
Do you think he should disconnect the 12v. battery?

·
Registered
2022 Niro PHEV EX Deep Cerulean Blue
196 Posts
I'm going to France for 1 year. I have a Kia Niro 2019 hybrid. The car will be parked in a covered garage in my house. Is there anything special I should do before leaving?
Should I unplug the battery? I did the oil change 1 week ago.
Do you have any trustworthy friends or family members that could take the Niro out for a spin every month or so? Perhaps they could also take a peek under the hood to see if anything is nesting there.

·
Registered
91 Posts
If you are concerned about mouse nests under the hood, some people put mothballs in the engine compartment to deter rodents.

·
Registered
189 Posts
This was discussed in a similar post.

·
Registered
2022 Niro Touring SE
53 Posts
Might have issues starting it when you return. I would HIGHLY suggest you don't leave a lot of gas in the tank in the first place, maybe a few gallons, add Stabil to it, drive it at least 20 miles or so to make sure it mixes with the gasoline and is now also in the fuel lines.

·
Registered
2020 Niro HEV EX+
808 Posts
If I don't put sta-bil in the gas tank, what would happen?
Without stabilizer, the gas will be stale and ICE may not run well at all.
Run the current gas tank very low, then add 2 - 3 gallons of stabilized gas (non-ethanol is possible) run the ICE in sport mode for 5 minute drive and then you are ready to put it away for the next year.
When you return, add another several gallons of new, fresh gas and then you are ready to "start" the Niro from hibernation.

·
Registered
2022 Niro PHEV EX Deep Cerulean Blue
196 Posts
It appears that the OP is in Florida? Is mold or mildew a concern? One thought would be to keep the windows opened slightly, however you may return to a thriving insect terrarium. Is there any concern having the tires sitting on the concrete for a year--would anyone advocate keeping the vehicle up on jack stands or would that present more potential or real problems?

·
Registered
983 Posts
Mold and Mildew is a HUGE concern in Fl. especially if your anywhere close to the coast. One of the snowbirds in our condo complex left his Subaru outside for 6 months. When he came back it wouldn't start dealer found lots of electrical connections corroded.

• Wow
Reactions: vangone
1 - 15 of 15 Posts