Kia Niro Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm seriously considering trading in my almost new 2020 Bolt EV Premier on a 2020 Niro EV EX Premium. I'm not particularly worried about a "towerless inferno," but I am disappointed that I was hemming and hawing in the weeks before the 2020-22 recall announcement and I lost $2,000 in trade value because of it. Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
1,854 Posts
Well, I just leased a Bolt EUV the day before it all hit the fan. I probably would have moved from my Niro PHEV to the EV, but there were none available other than left over 2020 models. I'm not knocking the '20 model at all. I just didn't want to start with a car that was almost two model years old.

You would gain a bit larger car, about the same EPA range, a bit faster DC fast charging, a heat pump, and probably a few other bits and pieces. You lose money trading at the moment because of the recall. Kia doesn't use LG batteries, so that's one less thing to worry about. Hyundai does, but not Kia. So you get to charge your car inside the garage without worry again. :D

If the money loss isn't enough to concern you, the Niro EV is a good alternative. Most owners report exceeding the EPA range without much difficulty. My PHEV was rated at 26 miles (24 with HVAC) but I regularly went 30+ miles. There's an issue with the chrome trim around the radio display in the Niro starting in 2020 that is angled just right (wrong) to reflect sunlight into the eyes of the front seat occupants. But a little matte tape can fix that. That glare is about the only negative I can come up with for the Niro EV. But if you can wait it out a bit longer, Kia has the new EV6 coming out soon, and it blows away almost anything else available. Soon is supposed to mean before the end of the year, but the parts shortage might impact that.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I just leased a Bolt EUV the day before it all hit the fan. I probably would have moved from my Niro PHEV to the EV, but there were none available other than left over 2020 models. I'm not knocking the '20 model at all. I just didn't want to start with a car that was almost two model years old.

You would gain a bit larger car, about the same EPA range, a bit faster DC fast charging, a heat pump, and probably a few other bits and pieces. You lose money trading at the moment because of the recall. Kia doesn't use LG batteries, so that's one less thing to worry about. Hyundai does, but not Kia. So you get to charge your car inside the garage without worry again. :D

If the money loss isn't enough to concern you, the Niro EV is a good alternative. Most owners report exceeding the EPA range without much difficulty. My PHEV was rated at 26 miles (24 with HVAC) but I regularly went 30+ miles. There's an issue with the chrome trim around the radio display in the Niro starting in 2020 that is angled just right (wrong) to reflect sunlight into the eyes of the front seat occupants. But a little matte tape can fix that. That glare is about the only negative I can come up with for the Niro EV. But if you can wait it out a bit longer, Kia has the new EV6 coming out soon, and it blows away almost anything else available. Soon is supposed to mean before the end of the year, but the parts shortage might impact that.
EV6 is too expensive, but the Hyundai Ioniq 5 is reasonable...if it doesn't have the LG Chem batteries. Since the Niro EV has SK Innovation batteries, you are correct, but I'm not worried about the fires...except for the trade value. I do like the Kia interior, except for the tacky blue stitching (hahaha).

·
Super Moderator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
1,854 Posts
I don't think we have US prices for either the Hyundai or Kia yet, but it is sounding like the initial trims will be over $50,000, and that's more than I'd want to spend. I've seen far worse tacky interior stitching than the blue that Kia uses. I've seen red and orange, just as two other examples. :D

·
Super Moderator
610 Posts
I don't think we have US prices for either the Hyundai or Kia yet, but it is sounding like the initial trims will be over $50,000, and that's more than I'd want to spend. I've seen far worse tacky interior stitching than the blue that Kia uses. I've seen red and orange, just as two other examples. :D
On the Kia.com US website, you could "reserve" an EV6 for $58,500 MSRP.

·
Super Moderator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
1,854 Posts
Thanks, I didn't realize they finally posted it. Of course, that's going to be a loaded trim level, so you can probably consider that near the max price, so about $10k more than a top end Niro EV. Considering all the improvements over the Niro, and the overall larger car, that's not too bad. Just more than I would want to spend.

When VW did the ID.4 First Edition in the US, it was actually a tad lower than the now top end Pro S trim. But the Pro S has a few things the First Edition didn't have, so maybe apples and oranges. :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm not sure if I have that much in my wallet after my flight on Bezos' spaceship or attending Obama's birthday party. Maybe after Hunter and I visit China to set up a new investment.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When VW did the ID.4 First Edition in the US, it was actually a tad lower than the now top end Pro S trim. But the Pro S has a few things the First Edition didn't have, so maybe apples and oranges. :)
Actually, the 1st Edition has 20" wheels and the Gradient package that are not standard on the Pro S. But I don't like that car at all. It looks like a Volkswagen outside and the displays seem disorganized inside. The 2022 Sportage and coming Sportage EV are much cooler both inside and out. And the EV will be much cheaper than the ID.4.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am a Bolt migrant near Atlanta that picked up a 2021 EV EX earlier this week. Enjoying the new vehicle and will be returning the 2017 Bolt under a GM buyback due to the fire risk recall !

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am a Bolt migrant near Atlanta that picked up a 2021 EV EX earlier this week. Enjoying the new vehicle and will be returning the 2017 Bolt under a GM buyback due to the fire risk recall !
I rattled GM's cage today and started a case to ask for either a buyback or an MSRP swap on a new Blazer. Since I paid only $24,000 after discounts and the free $3,000 bonus rebate on my GM MasterCard, it would be a good deal. I might even take the brand new Blazer straight to the Kia dealer! This latest don't park within 50 feet of another vehicle was the last straw; I can't stop others from parking within 50 feet of me!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I do think the MSRP swap is the superior deal, if you can time it right to take the new GM car to the Kia dealer and do a deal for a Niro. But with the severe shortages, can you find a car on a GM dealer‘s lot that they will do the swap for? (Only some GM dealers are being cooperative with the corporate people doing the swaps. I did see on a Bolt discussion board tnat someone might have been allowed to order a vehicle but then you have no trade for the Niro, etc., etc.)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'll wait to see what GM has to say. I doubt without some sort of certificate or letter from the regional or national office that the dealer would do anything for me. What bugs me is GM logic. I shouldn't park it in a parking structure, except on the top outside level 50 feet from the nearest car, but I can park it in my own garage as long as I'm not currently charging it or have recently charged it. I guess if I destroy my own property and potentially kill myself, it's okay, as long as there's no "collateral damage."

1 - 12 of 12 Posts