Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drive 20,000 miles a year all over Texas. After using a couple of GPS usints, in car nav, Google maps, Iphone maps and some others I find Waze to be the most useful map app out there. The user reports of traffic beat Sirius every time. Is anyone else using Waze?

·
Registered
469 Posts
I have yet to use the phone for maps other than to just look at a map if I am out and about and need to look up something. Maybe, I should give it a try.

Basically, I presently prefer a separate Garmin GPS because of the way I program routs on a trip. That is, I go to computer for larger look at GOOGLE Maps and set a route (detailed points sometimes, especially for my back road MC Rides) and then transfer POINTS that I set on GOOGLE Map to Points on the GARMIN GPS.

I number those points as 1, 2, 3, etc. and navigate from point to point. Mainly, I find that gives me better ability to set the exact roads I want to take VS setting a distant point destination and letting the GPS choose the route.

My method works GREAT for MC rides on back roads (like some pig paths I ride exploring the country side on MC) to allow me to force the GPS onto a certain road sequence.

Hard to teach and Old Dog (me) New Tricks. GROAN Maybe, I need to try some other methods.

Wonder, does your app allow such procedure as I explained?

·
Registered
225 Posts
I drive 20,000 miles a year all over Texas. After using a couple of GPS usints, in car nav, Google maps, Iphone maps and some others I find Waze to be the most useful map app out there. The user reports of traffic beat Sirius every time. Is anyone else using Waze?
I have the Waze app (which I believe was bought by Google). In my experience, it definately has the most info available of any GPS app I've seen. Accident reports and traffic done real time. The thing I don't like about Waze is it gets too busy, so the little icons and messages start crowding the screen and are distracting. And that's with the social media thingy where you can talk to your waze buddies turned off. I guess younger tech oriented multi-taskers might like it. I've also noticed that sometimes it will choose some weird routes, not the best.
So I usually end up using Google maps with verbal directions, it works very well for me overall. I never use my older GPS unit anymore.
How do you Niro owners like the way your apps from phone are displayed on UVO screen? Do the phone apps like Google Maps and music apps remain as usuable as on the phone?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Waze busy display

Remember when you use to get maps from the gas station or AAA when you planned, started a trip?

I have the Waze app (which I believe was bought by Google). In my experience, it definately has the most info available of any GPS app I've seen. Accident reports and traffic done real time. The thing I don't like about Waze is it gets too busy, so the little icons and messages start crowding the screen and are distracting. And that's with the social media thingy where you can talk to your waze buddies turned off. I guess younger tech oriented multi-taskers might like it. I've also noticed that sometimes it will choose some weird routes, not the best.
So I usually end up using Google maps with verbal directions, it works very well for me overall. I never use my older GPS unit anymore.
How do you Niro owners like the way your apps from phone are displayed on UVO screen? Do the phone apps like Google Maps and music apps remain as usable as on the phone?
I am 62 yr old tech head and I try different apps all the time. It's the traffic data that I need the most driving in town. I use the bluetooth feature for verbal prompts and don't look the display most of the time. Google maps is a close second, Apple maps is OK. Nave updates for the VW nav app are $100 a yr. The integrated nav app has its advantages, primarily the larger display.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I like Waze just fine, but when I'm suddenly in need of directions, is there a way to turn it on by just a verbal command? I default to Google Maps (with my Google pixel phone) because I can just ask it to give me directions. I found Waze difficult to "start up."

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have an iPhone and have used Waze for about 5 years. I use it nearly daily - for both commuting and weekend get aways. I plug in the destination before i start if i want to have it alert me to faster routes due to traffic etc. Or I just have it running with no destination for basic road conditions that other drivers report. I always wear an earpiece so that i don't have to look at the phone. If i need to actually look something up, i pull over. I have Waze set to give me road/traffic alerts, but NOT give turn-by-turn directions. Also Location Services are turned off when the app is not running. Google did buy Waze in 2013, but happily has not cannibalized/closed it. I fully expect that Waze data is used by Google Maps.

·
Registered
69 Posts
There is a turn by turn for Waze as well. But I used to use it quite often. I think Google maps because they own Waze now has adopted the whole construction being displayed thing or accidents and what not. That's essentially all I really used it for. The "fastest routes" thing that takes you through all the side-streets was fun when I wasn't in a hurry but it kind of throws me off when I'm on a time constraint.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Not to mention the that Waze shows where previous drivers have marked speed traps, dangerous objects on the road, etc. Has helped me avoid several probable tickets and a tire in the middle of the road one dark night. AND realtime movement feedback from other drivers using the app helps to automatically re-route around recent accidents, etc. Why use anything else!? Beats both GPS and built-in nav units HANDS-DOWN! Worth the price of a smartphone. And yes, Google maps uses the same data off the Waze servers. If you haven't used it yet, you are in for a treat. Just get a good phone mount. I can recommend ProclipUSA.com

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've used Waze here in So Cal a few times and personally, I'm not impressed. It's given me wrong traffic details so I just don't use it anymore. I just use Google maps for directions/GPS. It's been more reliable for me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts