Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Niro will see a fair amount of highway miles and I’d like to minimize rock chips. Has anyone put PPF on their cars? I have never done it. Does it really work? And how much is it to do, at least, the hood and roof? Just want to get a ballpark figure to see if it’s wirth it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I am thinking of doing something. I bought a certified pre owned2018 Niro with 6k on it, but I already see a few little scratches and the white shows through. Gotta love one coat of paint or whatever they did. Anyway, yes considering something, I also saw some sticker/film kits on eBay as well as kits for protecting the dash, stick, areas, cupholders etc. If I find any good one I will let you know. I am going to dealer end of the week for a repair and am going to ask about coatings. I am in PA and lots of rocks on road, winter salt etc. I am also looking for a sticker/protector for trunk area.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had the front bumper, headlights, hood, fenders and mirrors covered with Xpel Ultimate... I have done this on all my cars. The Niro's sloped hood is just asking for a rock chip!

·
Registered
37 Posts
I had the front bumper, headlights, hood, fenders and mirrors covered with Xpel Ultimate... I have done this on all my cars. The Niro's sloped hood is just asking for a rock chip!
How does it look? i.e. can you see the "seem" where the PPF ends? I'm looking into this for my new 2019 PHEV don't really know a lot about the product :nerd:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Also does it come off fairly easily for a lease return?

·
Super Moderator
549 Posts
I have not done it with my own car, but my father did it with his Prius. The film does offer a level of protection against chips, but there by my opinion a downside. It is unlikely that you will cover the whole of your car, so at some point, there will be a seam. this material is not microscopically thin, so the edge where the film ends tends to be a catch point for dirt, grit and other undesirables. So while the paint under the film is protected for the most part, the line where the film ends tends to take far more abuse.
Sadly, it is not a perfect world out there and I don't know if the added protection really gains you much. I had on a prior car many years ago one of those bra covers. it was a similar type of idea in it was supposed to protect the front of the car from chips. it ended up causing more as dirt and crap got underneath. this film will stop that but I have seen that it doesn't last forever and after you remove it, the top edge line looks far worse than what was protected.

·
Registered
2019 NIRO PHEV EX
236 Posts
My car came with it from the Dealer. The Dealer does this to all their vehicles. During negotiations I would not pay for it and they waived the cost. Certainly not something I would buy.

Our vehicles is 6 months old and I see no benefit from it as of now. Small nicks from road debris on some of the Paint but not much.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts