Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
96,600 miles on my Niro. Starting to have small problems. Nothing major. Button on driver's side door quit working. I can use the key fob to unlock and lock so no big deal. Driver's window sometimes goes down when I tell it to go up. Get some creaks out of the front suspension. How many miles you all have.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Neither. I'm a sales rep for a food service company. Log 1500 miles per week or more. Kia should give me a car to real life test for them. I'd be happy to tell them how it holds up to everyday driving.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Im at 96600 miles. Nothing will be covered at all in less than 4000 miles. I think the last thing to be covered is the power train/ hyvrsd system.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Wow, that is what I call a long term review, very much appreciated! :x
What typical wear n tear parts - if any - have you had to replace so far? I thinking brakes, wipers, shocks, muffler...
And what about tires: What did you replace your OEM tire with? If something different than OEM, how did they effect handling, ride, mpg?
Have you kept track of your MPG? If so, please share including your typical driving style and what percentage is city vs highway. What model Niro do you have?
Thanks!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As far as wear and tear parts. I have replaced the wipers. Windshield cracked at 3000 miles. In Missouri I have about 3 years before I need an inspection. Therefore the windshield will stay cracked. The button on the driver's door quit working recently. And the front suspension is getting creaky. Mostly noticable when pulling up the curb in the driveway. I have owned 2 Prius before switch to Niro. The brakes on the Prius lasted 200,000 miles. I hope Kia stole the technology to make this happen. So far the car still stops when I tell it to.
Tires lasted 75,000 miles with no rotation. I replaced them with the same tires that came on the car. So far this set is at 21000 miles and I did not get an alignment.
Mpg's. As we know this is why we buy these cars. Typically I run to pretty much empty then do full fill-ups. Here is my mpg's 52.5, 54.3, 54.1, 53.6, 52.4, 51.8, 50.7, 54.2 51.8 51.6 52.6 53.4 57.1 53.5 54.2 51.9 51.6 52.2 53.7 51.3 52.4 52.4 46.0 48.3 52.5 53.6 50.4 49.9 50.2 49.7 51.7 51.2 50.3 49.2 54.4 50.7 53.3 46.8 50.2 46.8 50.8 50.4 49.2 48.6. that was the first 3.5months.
Here is the last 3.5months. 47.2 46.4 56.0 47.4 53.5 56.2 56.3 48.4 52.0 52.2 50.8 53.7 54.5 55.4 51.6 54.5 52.9 47.9 51.8 48.7 53.9 51.0 48.0 49.0 53.2 49.2 56.3 50.9 49.4 47.8 49.5 50.6 48.5 45.3 45.5 45.9 45.5 48.6 47.5 44.2 46.9 48.4 43.3 49.1 48.0 45.3 44.3 44.0 52.4 51.4.
Have fun with that information. Some days I drive like a bat outta ****. Other days I drive like an old blue hair. Lot of highway, backroads, gravel roads, rain, snow, city you name it. Every day is different. I have also been known to sit for hour in the car on idle. I do a lot of catching up on my work laptop sitting in the car. It is quiet, radio low, no one to interrupt me. This can reduce my mileage by 1-2mpgs for the tank.

I have an EX model.

I also have a power inverter for my laptop running constantly. I am sure this drains the battery and leads to additional firing of the engine to keep the batteries charged.

Seats are still in good shape. Driver's seat looks like I sit in it a lot, but material is holding up.

Engine oil I changed today. Was about a half quart low when I did the oil change at about 7800mile interval. Getting a little oil on the upper seal which I would consider normal for the 96765 on the odometer. I have not changed the crush washer due to not wanting to go to the dealer to buy one. It may be a tad warped as I do get a little oil around the drain plug on the oil pan.
The air filter is original, but plan to replace soon. Walmart does not carry where I live. May check AutoZone or go to dealer if necessary.
Let me know if anything else you want to know.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Looking at your mpg numbers, a slight drop from the first 3.5 months to the current 3.5 months may indicate a full-on tune up is needed at 100,000 miles.

That's not bad! A couple of filters and some spark plugs and an injector cleaning may bring you right back.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I wouldn't read too much into the mpg's. We had a much colder November than usual. I also bought more gas down in the city because it was $.50 per gallon cheaper than by the house. I get better mpg's from a certain station. And as you can see I buy a lot of gas. In my notepad I write the date, miles, price, station, gallons, octane, and mpg's. One tank was strictly through 4 inches of snow. The drag, wheel spin, all can drag it down. But from what I see the biggest variable is outside temperature.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Whew, that's a lot of numbers. Looks like your lowest MPG was 43.3 & highest was 56.3.

That is very impressive for a car that has EPA figures of 51 city & 46 highway & is driven by an owner with highly variable driving habits. I may have to get one of these!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Has the transmission shifting changed at all, or anything along that line? I might have wasted my money buying the extended warranty.... wait, Murphy’s law... I bought it so I won’t have any problems...

·
Registered
249 Posts
That's insane, 1500 miles per week?? That's over 200 miles per day, 7 days a week. Assuming 50mph average speed, that's over 4 hours a day of driving!! You're nuts. I would hate being in the car that much even if it were a Lamborghini.

I'm just shy of 7,000 miles in my Niro, after owning it for 3 months. So, a little over 2,000 miles a month. No issues at all so far.

Those 2,000 miles a month used to cost me $600 in gasoline with my previous daily-driver. Now it's more like $150 in combined gasoline and electricity. So, in essence, my Niro is free, because it saves me more money every month than the loan payment costs :)

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes I pretty much live in my Niro. And on one or two occasions I have filled up twice in the same day. Not saying I ran it to empty but it was a well over 400 mile day. Take a look at my current odometer reading in the picture. Purchased September 1, 2017.

Attachments

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
As far as the transmission. It still rolls backwards at stop sign on an incline. But I believe that has to do with the dual clutch??? It also has some weird shift patterns, and revs high when taking off on an incline. I also notice it reving high in normal highway driving. Typically seems like it should go to a higher gear but it won't even if you let off the gas.

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
If you press hard on the brake pedal when stopped, the brakes will hold for half a second, enough time to hit the accelerator pedal.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Oh I know how to deal with it. I should add at the one particular intersection you roll uphill to the stop sign. So I don't really use the brakes. Just kinda coast til it stops and then it rolls backwards a little like a stick shift.

·
Registered
38 Posts
So, having own two Toyota Prius' and now the Kia Niro, which do you prefer overall? I'm sure they both have their Pros:) and Cons:mad:.

·
Registered
469 Posts
THANKS for the INFO on your KIA (I call it an abuse report).

I say getting your money's worth.

I guess a lot of cars go that and more miles now days (not like old days when need valve job or carb job before 100K miles). I seldom put more than 75 or 80K on a car as I get interested in a new one or a used new one.

I do have a Dodge Caravan (2005) with just over 100K. Last couple years it has sat a lot -- I ride MC most time it's not raining or too cold. I use the van as much as truck (seats are out) and haul trash and stuff. Probably not more than a few thousand miles a year.

It still looks good -- garage kept.

I replaced the spark plugs and wires maybe 10,000 miles ago (had a code for misfire on 3#). The headliner is coming down (using the screw things to hold it up - looks OK). I replaced the front brake pads at like 36,000 miles (same ones still on there now). The door locks occasionally don't work (pull a fuse and the computer and they work again). The computer does not seem to know the key is out in terms the bell dings when the driver door is opened with the Key out. I also have to pull the overhead light bulb as it stays on when a door is open. The left side sliding door lock unlocks with buttons and key, but does not lock with buttons or key.

Just say, stuff wears out (can fix a lot of that if you want to mess with it).

1 - 20 of 40 Posts