Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone else having problems getting into the Kia Access app? ...it won't even let me re-enter my credentials -- seems like I can't login to the website either?? ...been an issue since yesterday

Attachments

·
Registered
370 Posts
I had a problem with it a couple of weeks ago. I think it was about the time they said that the old Eco App would no longer work. When I couldn't get in with the new app, I tried the old one and was able to get in on that occasion.

I tried the new "Access" app just now and it worked.

I few minutes ago I tried logging in to owners.kia.com and couldn't get in. My browser had cached my password for that site but after the third attempt failed, I retyped my password and was able to get in.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I bought a PHEV EX a week ago and was trying to connect my Samsung Galaxy 4 to the vehicle via the Kia Access app. Twice I loaded the app, connected it to the car (USB) and activated the car's UVO, only to have the app stop working immediately upon activation. Had to call support twice to deactivate the car twice while trying to get it to work. As it turned out my wife's Motorola phone activated the car's UVO correctly and the app continues to work fine in her phone.

So... older phones might have a problem even if they have Android 5.01 which tech support claims is supported. I can still run the web app fine from my Samsung Galaxy 4, so no biggie.

·
Super Moderator
456 Posts
So... older phones might have a problem even if they have Android 5.01 which tech support claims is supported. I can still run the web app fine from my Samsung Galaxy 4, so no biggie.

On a totally different note, I have to smirk about the version of phone that you are using. It has puzzled me that Apple keeps on chanting about how many % of cutomers upgraded to the latest version of their IOS, and how Andriod customers seem to be lagging behind with their update status. But to me that just points out two things:

1. Apple has got forcing customers to either upgrade without much of a choice even if it still worked, or give-up on their old hardware as it just stopped working.

2. Android might be harder to upgrade to the lastest version, but why do you need to? If your phone calls people, SMS messages work, email works.. why do I need an upgrade?

Keep rocking with the Galaxy 4!

·
Registered
10 Posts
If your phone calls people, SMS messages work, email works.. why do I need an upgrade?

Keep rocking with the Galaxy 4!

Exactly! It was issued to me brand new at my workplace on my sixth day on the job. I have spent $0 on mobile phones and phone service in 5 years. It's a little bruised around the edges but still does everything I need it to do. The Apple iPhone upgrades does seem to be a thing with their customers, that I've seen.

I truly am unconcerned about my phone's compatibility with the Niro. My wife was super excited about this feature when we were buying the car so I'm just happy it works on her phone.

·
Super Moderator
516 Posts
I bought a PHEV EX a week ago and was trying to connect my Samsung Galaxy 4 to the vehicle via the Kia Access app. Twice I loaded the app, connected it to the car (USB) and activated the car's UVO, only to have the app stop working immediately upon activation. Had to call support twice to deactivate the car twice while trying to get it to work. As it turned out my wife's Motorola phone activated the car's UVO correctly and the app continues to work fine in her phone.
I don't think the app has any USB connect-ability to the car via USB. The Access app connects to the Kia servers over the Internet, and the car talks to the servers over an internal modem. It's all done over the Internet. What exactly are you trying to do with the app in the car?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I don't think the app has any USB connect-ability to the car via USB. The Access app connects to the Kia servers over the Internet, and the car talks to the servers over an internal modem. It's all done over the Internet. What exactly are you trying to do with the app in the car?

Was just following instructions on setup in connecting it to the USB in the Niro. I was using the phone to activate the UVO in the Niro. With the Niro unactivated, I logged into the Kia Access app on my phone and it showed me a full screen of options but also indicated that the Niro's UVO was not yet activated. I then activated the Niro and the phone app screen would sort of freeze, i.e. I couldn't navigate anywhere else nor click any buttons. I then closed the app, logged in again, and then briefly a white screen would appear, the text "mileage ---", and about 2 seconds later the app would crash and the phone would give me an error message that the Kia Access App has stopped working. I attempted to log in several times with the same result.

Even though the Niro now showed as being active, it was not able to be accessed through the app account that I set up. Not even through my wife's phone. So at some point during the activation of the Niro and crashing of my phone app, the link to the account got lost somewhere.

Not being sure exactly what happened the first time, I called support and they deactivated the Niro. I then went through the same steps again with my phone with the exact same result, i.e. Niro activation, phone app crash, and disconnect of Niro to account. I called support again and had them deactivate the Niro again. Then I tried activating it with my wife's phone and it all executed perfectly. The Niro is now safely connecting through my account and my bad android does not have any affect on it.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I’ve had intermittent issues with the app all week. Mostly just extremely long server load times upwards of 3-5 minutes to receive updates and issue commands. I suspected it was due to the frigid temps we had earlier this week across much of the Eastern US. Lots of folks pinging the Kia servers at the same time for remote starts.

I really miss having a remote start button on my key fob like Chevy did with my Volt. Chevy lets you remote start from an app or the key fob. Instead of waiting 5 minutes on the Kia app I could have remote started it instantly with the key fob. Blarg. Come on Kia!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Based on my usage, I'd say there's a lot of room for improvement for the app. Luckily, much of the operation is based on software which can be improved, both in the phone app and in the automobile. Upgrades to the automobile software can be pushed out to the entire fleet. I do understand we're dealing with whatever inherent slowness that the on board modem (hardware) has, but if hardware is slow, the solution is to make the software more efficient to maximize the operation of the h/w. Obviously, first things first... Kia has to make this a priority before we're going to see any improvements.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts