Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm taking my Niro in for the first 7,500 mile oil change and tire rotation. Does it just need conventional oil or some version of synthetic? I know my shop will want to upsell the synthetic but I never believe them.

·
Registered
174 Posts
My dealer was going to put synthetic blend and I was told it comes with synthetic blend. I requested full synthetic. I think the difference was less than $20.

·
Registered
474 Posts
My first one was FREE (dealer) and they uses synthetic not a blend (I think).

I have never used Synthetic or a blend in anything (Cars, Motorcycles).

Come to think of it, I did use blend in a motor home years ago (not all the time, but sometime).

I guess if not changing more than twice a year -- no big deal on cost.

·
Registered
227 Posts
My first one was FREE (dealer) and they uses synthetic not a blend (I think).

I have never used Synthetic or a blend in anything (Cars, Motorcycles).

Come to think of it, I did use blend in a motor home years ago (not all the time, but sometime).

I guess if not changing more than twice a year -- no big deal on cost.
Paul- if you use 0w-20 oil that is labeled on the filler, it's synthetic. 0w-20 is only synthetic oil. Per the manual, you can use 5w-30, or even 10w-30 (above 0 degrees F). Those two grades can be conventional oil.
Especially with low miles, I would stick with the thinner 0w-20. That's what it came with. You are still breaking the engine in, and modern engines have very close tolerances.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Paul- if you use 0w-20 oil that is labeled on the filler, it's synthetic. 0w-20 is only synthetic oil. Per the manual, you can use 5w-30, or even 10w-30 (above 0 degrees F). Those two grades can be conventional oil.
Especially with low miles, I would stick with the thinner 0w-20. That's what it came with. You are still breaking the engine in, and modern engines have very close tolerances.
I had my local Mr. Tire do my first 7,500 mile oil change yesterday. $70 for the full synthetic oil and tire rotation. I miss the days of $20 oil change and tire rotation I had with my Optima.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Is synthetic oil the best if you want to try doing oil changes yourself?
The type of oil doesn't matter. It all pours out of the bottle the same.

Changing oil should be a 20 minute job, maybe half an hour if things are in the way. Anyone that drives should be able to do it, assuming that you have the time and resources.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Might make sense with an engine starting and stopping as you drive down the road.

I guess the engine parts would remain coated between these start / stop cycles regardless if synthetic or dinosaur oil.

Considering, probably only be changing twice a year --- no big deal the added cost of synthetic. Might even be worth extra cost and time taking it in to dealer so all are satisfied that it has been done on schedule.

I just have always done mine, especially after warranty runs out, vs taking time and to run to a garage or dealer. Plus, I know it was changed.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Might make sense with an engine starting and stopping as you drive down the road.

I guess the engine parts would remain coated between these start / stop cycles regardless if synthetic or dinosaur oil.

Considering, probably only be changing twice a year --- no big deal the added cost of synthetic. Might even be worth extra cost and time taking it in to dealer so all are satisfied that it has been done on schedule.

I just have always done mine, especially after warranty runs out, vs taking time and to run to a garage or dealer. Plus, I know it was changed.
Paul, I have always done my own oil changes too. The dealer I bought from has 3 free years of oil changes and tire rotation, so of course I'll do that. I have never used synthetic in a car either, but I'm going to stick with what it came with. Anybody who is going to change oil, they are selling Mobil 1 right now for ~$22 to$25 for five quart jugs, plus a $10 rebate. Pretty good deal.

·
Registered
8 Posts
What type of engine oil should I use?

At 6,500 miles, I'm getting ready to do the first oil change on my 2017 Kia Niro EX. Problem is...the US manual seems to give conflicting advice on the proper engine oil. I've attached an image of chapter 9 page 7 titled "RECOMMENDED LUBRICANTS AND CAPACITIES" which simultaneously calls for "ACEA A5 or above / 5W30" and "SAE 5W-30 (API SL / ILSAC GF-3 / ACEA A3)".

So...which is it? Can I use ACEA A5? ACEA A3? Either? Can I use an oil with the ILSAC GF-3 or API SL rating but no ACEA rating?

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
At 6,500 miles, I'm getting ready to do the first oil change on my 2017 Kia Niro EX. Problem is...the US manual seems to give conflicting advice on the proper engine oil. I've attached an image of chapter 9 page 7 titled "RECOMMENDED LUBRICANTS AND CAPACITIES" which simultaneously calls for "ACEA A5 or above / 5W30" and "SAE 5W-30 (API SL / ILSAC GF-3 / ACEA A3)".

So...which is it? Can I use ACEA A5? ACEA A3? Either? Can I use an oil with the ILSAC GF-3 or API SL rating but no ACEA rating?
Update: I called two separate service departments at local Kia dealers (Rosen and Russ Darrow) in Milwaukee who told me they use 0W-20 API-SN or ACEA C2 for both 2017 and 2018 Kia Niros. Turns out I had a manual from some other region. The manual for my region and my two local dealers agree with the recommendation for 4.01qts of 0W-20 API-SN or ACEA C2 (evidence attached). Now to find a suitable manufacturer.

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
Great video, only concern I have was using a wrench to tighten the filter, I was always taught hand tight only and like a 1/4 or 1/2 turn once it was snug.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts