Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I recently installed new 16" rims on my new EX, replacing the stock 16" rims that come on the EX (black 5 spoke covered by plastic hub). I am thinking of using one for a full size spare tire, but would have three other rims available if anyone is interested in doing the same.

·
Super Moderator
460 Posts
I am guessing that you are in a southern state that doesn't really have winter. I am in the process of finding two sets of 4 rims for mine and my wifes new Niro to get winter tires on. After driving with all seasons only for most of my driving life, I got real snows for my last car and wow what a difference. Now that we are replacing that car with the Niro (and getting my wife a new car too) it only makes sense to get actual snow tires too.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I am guessing that you are in a southern state that doesn't really have winter. I am in the process of finding two sets of 4 rims for mine and my wifes new Niro to get winter tires on. After driving with all seasons only for most of my driving life, I got real snows for my last car and wow what a difference. Now that we are replacing that car with the Niro (and getting my wife a new car too) it only makes sense to get actual snow tires too.
No kidding. My brother convinced me. I tried it and never ever going back. The lady that runs the tire store that I buy tires at said she figured all you needed to do was give someone 1 set of snow tires and they'd be sold for life. She hasn't offered to give me them though! Anyway buying a complete second set of rims and will just swap out winter/summer. Realistically the only extra cost is the rims since you'd be wearing out tires regardless. And the second set of rims saves you the mounting costs every spring/winter.

·
Super Moderator
460 Posts
Ever had one of those brain farts where you lie in bed at night and then come to the realization that the obvious has been sitting infront of you? My wife is trading in her really old 2006 Kia Sportage, that we are getting nothing for it as it's scrap value of $200. It has 16" Kia rims on it. Yea, the tires are the wrong size (215/65R16) but the rims sure are not. And they have the correct offset and everything. Now I have to figure out how is best to get the scrap car sort of out of the contract deal so I can simply take it to a junk yard where they will gladly give me the $150 for the vehicle without the wheels on it, and I will be up a set of 16" original KIA aloy rims for the low cost of $50.

And I bet the donut spare inside of the back would be a perfect fit for the Niro as they are smaller anyways and just for emergancy use, but would fit as the exact right size.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm a firm believer in winter tires, even though I don't live in an area with bad winters. I do drive to go skiing frequently though. I'm currently figuring out what to do wheel-wise for my winter tires. I would just do it all via TireRack, but they don't have the compatible TPMS sensors. My setup must include those, so I may have to purchase things separately. I am interested in the Kia 16" wheels, but not if the price is much higher than decent aftermarket wheels.

·
Super Moderator
460 Posts
My wifes old Kia Sportage has one of those donut spares inside the back with a jack. Sadly the wheel wrench and metal hook that fitted together to use the jack had gotten corroded with who knows what and were pretty much gone, but the jack and tire were fine. So I grabbed them both and put them to one side when we got rid of the old Sportage. Now I wonder if I should put them in the back of one of our cars as a spare. I honestly never had a flat in the 30 years of driving so i don't know if its something that is common and just luck so far.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I will have (4) 16” stock rims and hub caps from my new 2018 PHEV that I would sell for shipping plus a reasonable cost as I am getting new wheels for mine. Anyone interested in these let me know, as I would like to sell them as soon as my new wheels arrive and are mounted.

·
Super Moderator
494 Posts
I'm a firm believer in winter tires, even though I don't live in an area with bad winters.
Good thinking! They should be a state law for people that has a winter season with snow, ice, etc.. to make people install winter tires on their cars like us here in Quebec Canada.

·
Super Moderator
460 Posts
And I wished this state law would also require that the dealers that sell cars do so with said extra tires on rims so that we can switch them when winter arrives. And also that the garages that sell winter tires would actually stock them and be forced to sell them at a more reasonable price, rather than the jacked up over exageration prices they do. But they don't, so some of us dont buy winter tires considering that 95% of the winter, we don't have snow, and even when it does snow it is gone in 3-4 days.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm a firm believer in winter tires, even though I don't live in an area with bad winters. I do drive to go skiing frequently though. I'm currently figuring out what to do wheel-wise for my winter tires. I would just do it all via TireRack, but they don't have the compatible TPMS sensors. My setup must include those, so I may have to purchase things separately. I am interested in the Kia 16" wheels, but not if the price is much higher than decent aftermarket wheels.
I've been dealing with Discount Tire for over 10 years and have had pretty satisfactory service out of them. I used to use Tire Rack until I got a set of tires that would not balance, despite four or five tries on the road force balance machine at a local dealer. I had to jump through lots of hoops to return them, much of it government-class BS. I had to drive 20 miles to "an approved dealer," which was a truck stop, and have the expert there analyze the problem.

So I drove over there, told the guy the issue, opened the trunk, he looked at the tires and said, "Yup, they're bad.":eek:

Dealing with someone in town who can be held somewhat accountable is far preferable to me.

·
Registered
240 Posts
A second vote for the loca Discount Tire stores. Over the past 30 years I have used two different Discount stores in W WA. Both have had great service, prices and they can get you any tire you want. In the past I have asked them to match Tire Racks prices (cost of tires & shipping) which they always did. The past few years I find that Discount's listed prices already match or a few cases beat Tire Rack pricing.

·
Registered
147 Posts
In the United States up in the Northern part of the Midwest they have some interesting laws concerning winter driving. In the service I was stationed outside Omaha Nebraska for a good part of my enlistment.

In winter if you had an accident or became stranded blocking traffic and you didn't have on winter tires then you were subjected to some pretty stiff fines. I don't know if they still have that ordinance on the books or if other municipalities have similar laws.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Good thinking! They should be a state law for people that has a winter season with snow, ice, etc.. to make people install winter tires on their cars like us here in Quebec Canada.
Some states DO have winter tire laws. You can tell because come April or May or June you can still hear the guys with studs grinding away.

And I wished this state law would also require that the dealers that sell cars do so with said extra tires on rims so that we can switch them when winter arrives. And also that the garages that sell winter tires would actually stock them and be forced to sell them at a more reasonable price, rather than the jacked up over exageration prices they do. But they don't, so some of us dont buy winter tires considering that 95% of the winter, we don't have snow, and even when it does snow it is gone in 3-4 days.
I'm sure some dealers would be bright enough--and many would just give you a blank look--to come up with a winter set. If you price wheels & TPMS at the parts department, the whole setup--wheels, TPMS, winter tires--is likely to cost you two to three grand, vs. maybe 800-1200 at Discount Tire or Tire Rack.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Hello,

I recently installed new 16" rims on my new EX, replacing the stock 16" rims that come on the EX (black 5 spoke covered by plastic hub). I am thinking of using one for a full size spare tire, but would have three other rims available if anyone is interested in doing the same.
I'm interested in one, please PM me details.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I will have (4) 16” stock rims and hub caps from my new 2018 PHEV that I would sell for shipping plus a reasonable cost as I am getting new wheels for mine. Anyone interested in these let me know, as I would like to sell them as soon as my new wheels arrive and are mounted.

Winter is near, if you need some for winter tires these are the perfect match for you Niro & lighter and less $$$ than anything else under $100 each out there.

$77 each plus shipping. or the whole lot for $277. I'm in Seattle; if you are not too far, you may prefer to pick them up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Changing my summer tires wheels for next spring

I already mentioned a while back that I want to to 16 from 18 inch wheels the touring that we drive has Micheline I want to hopefully increase my mpg. What do you guys recommend if I may ask ? I know there are cheaper tires on there but I don't want to screw up my mileage. We will also be buying new rims It's a little harder here with no tire rack .Well I stand corrected because one time I .did get tires from tire rack .They shipped out of Indiana and ended up being costlier than local. Plus they were pretty crappy tires. we have Costco about 3 k from home and we are members what do you people think?

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
The post just above yours has rims for sale. There is another guy in PA who bought new rims and would probably sell his OEM ones. Comes up fairly often.

I’d recommend the 16” OEM Michelin tires. I don’t think you can beat the combination of efficiency, low noise, tread life, and adequate performance. Most tire total costs will be higher.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Price a set of winter tires and steel wheels at TR and DT and anywhere else, don't forget TPMS. You can probably come in under $1000, mounted and balanced. That dealers don't seem to offer that to customers says that nobody would buy it because people would rather risk their safety for three to six months rather than spend a grand.

That is human nature.

I never ran winters, until we moved to the NW and I ran into a lot of unplowed roads. Once the snow got packed, they were just ice. All season tires are helpless in those conditions.
I bought a set of Bridgestone REVO1, it was like walking on cleats vs banana peels. I've never looked back, I run winter tires on both out cars. It's what your health and welfare is worth. AND your passengers' AND anyone you might run into.

·
Registered
240 Posts

Winter is near, if you need some for winter tires these are the perfect match for you Niro & lighter and less $$$ than anything else under $100 each out there.

$77 each plus shipping. or the whole lot for $277. I'm in Seattle; if you are not too far, you may prefer to pick them up.
FYI: Rims and tires both sold within 10 days, got to $250 for tires; $250 for rims. Had multiple inquiries on tires, only two on rims.

After reading 100s of tire reviews, I replaced OEM Mich Energy Savers with same size Continental TrueContact Tour because I thought the Conti's would be as quite & smooth as the OEMs and have better wet traction . Bad decision! The Contis are significantly noisier & rougher riding than OEM tires.; the really have changed the overall comfort character of the car for the worse. :( Now seriously considering going back to Energy Saver A/S or Mich Premier A/S.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts