Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Looking to add a hitch to my EV. I previously had the PHEV but just lost her to a rear end that damaged the battery. Installed the Curt hitch on that one, but when looking at U-Haul for the base Niro they list both the Curt and this Cequent as options. Etrailer has a similar hitch from Drawtite as well.

Since this is solely for my bike rack, would be happier with a smaller/lighter hitch, and since these only bolts into the sides of the frame rails, hoping installation would be easier. Anyone explore this route previously and know if it's doable or a no go?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You have to cut into your bumper cover to install that hitch...
On the base Niro yes, but I wasn't sure if that would be the same on the EV since there's no muffler/exhaust to cover with the rear fascia. Do you know for certain the EV needs to also be cut? If so then yeah that's a total deal breaker.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Following up, after a number of explorations parking next to Hybrid and PHEV variants, I went ahead and ordered the Drawtite Hitch and it installs exactly like the hybrid with no major cutting into the bumper. Only the middle panel tab needed to be removed. It looks like I will need to extend one of the bolt holes to even out the hitch but all in all a very easy install for anyone looking for a lighter duty option for a bike rack. Will follow up with some pics tonight and later when I go to even out the job.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
20191215_162603.jpg 20191215_161712.jpg
Here's the clearance of the hitch with a shot showing the angle as is without notching the bolt hole.
20191215_155830.jpg

This is the tab that needed to be cut.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts