Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I have my dog with me I will leave any car I am in running with the air on. Tried that this weekend with the Niro and it will not lock when running. Where I live that will work, never lock the car anyway so I am not worried about it running with it unlocked even when at Walmart. But this weekend I was in the city so the girlfriend had to wait in the car with it running. It is a big problem for me. Any way around this?

·
Registered
178 Posts
I've been wondering this myself and have tried every possible combination with no luck. We have the 2017 Niro EX and it has the push button lock/unlock on the door handles, tried keeping that pushed in while closing, no go,,,,,,,, tried the manual key lock and key, nope.......... haven't searched the manual yet though................

·
Registered
18 Posts
You can do it by way of leaving the electronic part of the key in the car and locking the doors using the metal inside part of the key (inserting it into the handle), taking it with you to unlock the door later. Not ideal as someone looking to steal the car could just break a window and take the vehicle, pet and all. Maybe someone else has a better method?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Other Fob?

I am curious about this too. Are you saying that if the metal part of the key is inside, then you can lock it, but it can be unlocked by just pushing the button on the outside?

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You can do it by way of leaving the electronic part of the key in the car and locking the doors using the metal inside part of the key (inserting it into the handle), taking it with you to unlock the door later. Not ideal as someone looking to steal the car could just break a window and take the vehicle, pet and all. Maybe someone else has a better method?
Tried that, it doesn't work.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Yup. But I was wrong. I just tried to confirm this and CoffeeNiro is right. The routine is that you have to be inside the car with the key fob and lock all the doors with the fob or the door button. Then exit via the driver's door (leaving the fob inside), and only the driver's door will be unlocked. You can now lock it with the physical key, and the door buttons will not work. Cool!

Mind you, I didn't try this yet with the car running, but it should work. Hopefully, this solves badyellowvette's problem with potential dognapping! Must have a small dog or a congenial labrador.

First time in 6 months of ownership I've tried the physical key. Took a while as I had two similar keys in my hand I tried first. Glad to know it works.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Yup. But I was wrong. I just tried to confirm this and CoffeeNiro is right. The routine is that you have to be inside the car with the key fob and lock all the doors with the fob or the door button. Then exit via the driver's door (leaving the fob inside), and only the driver's door will be unlocked. You can now lock it with the physical key, and the door buttons will not work. Cool!

Mind you, I didn't try this yet with the car running, but it should work. Hopefully, this solves badyellowvette's problem with potential dognapping! Must have a small dog or a congenial labrador.

First time in 6 months of ownership I've tried the physical key. Took a while as I had two similar keys in my hand I tried first. Glad to know it works.
This is really good info to know since I would like to keep my dog in the car with the A/C running when I go into a store ect. Man I wonder if I could have done this with my Prius all these years LOL.

·
Registered
73 Posts
On mine, PHEV Premium, I can start the car with the smartphone app and adjust the temperature. The doors must already be locked. However, I think the car turns itself off after 10 minutes. Obviously not good if you are gone longer.
Too bad there is not a way to use the mechanical key to start the car and then use rrmote/proximity key to lock it.
Cookie

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
On mine, PHEV Premium, I can start the car with the smartphone app and adjust the temperature. The doors must already be locked. However, I think the car turns itself off after 10 minutes. Obviously not good if you are gone longer.
Too bad there is not a way to use the mechanical key to start the car and then use rrmote/proximity key to lock it.
Cookie
This thread explains the method to accomplish the same end result: car running and locked.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

That works beautiful thanks. You do have to use the key to unlock, even the second fob does nothing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts