Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Only happens every so often, but sometimes when I plug my iphone into the car the CarPlay won’t connect and I have to try again. I notice it most when I do it as soon as the car is started even before the navigation boots up. I am trying to see if maybe the Bluetooth connection is the problem since it also tries to connect to the phone at the same time I usually plug it into the usb. I have a 2017 niro ex with navigation and a mifi certified lightning usb connector. I read in some other threads people have had trouble with usb connection on ipods and usb media drives.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Try a different USB cable. Many aftermarket cables (non-Apple) have crappy Lightning connection. You can test this by replugging in the iPhone. I even have had Apple cables that only work on one orientation so I would also check that by flipping the connector.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Try a different USB cable. Many aftermarket cables (non-Apple) have crappy Lightning connection. You can test this by replugging in the iPhone. I even have had Apple cables that only work on one orientation so I would also check that by flipping the connector.
This is certainly the culprit....have run across it with several "Zon type knockoffs. Look for official Apple or make sure the off brands are Apple compliant...MFi is the term to search. AmazonBasics house brand would do the trick and are cheaper than Apple markup stuff.

·
Registered
173 Posts
If you can't use WiFi or Blu-tooth to connect apple car play, and are forced to use a cord, that makes apple car pay pretty much USELESS in my book......

·
Registered
44 Posts
To each their own. I hate Bluetooth and don’t use it but happily plug my phone in and use CarPlay which works awesome.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have been using mifi cord from monoprice. I think having the bluetooth pairing as the same time as connecting to carplay may have caused some issues. Seems to be working better now that I turned bluetooth pairing off

·
Registered
6 Posts
In my (2018) Niro the bluetooth automatically disconnects if the same phone is connected to CarPlay via USB cable.

I do sometimes get this issue where the CarPlay isn't recognized and reconnecting the cable it then works. I do have a genuine Apple cable. I just put it down to buggy software as it doesn't happen very often.

·
Registered
219 Posts
If you can't use WiFi or Blu-tooth to connect apple car play, and are forced to use a cord, that makes apple car pay pretty much USELESS in my book......
As someone who has been “using” it just fine for 10 months that way... um, why?

·
Registered
173 Posts
As someone who has been “using” it just fine for 10 months that way... um, why?

Why is it worthless? Well my dash port is currently home to my Ipod, no other port to plug a phone into, besides, I have WiFi/Bluetooth on my phone, if Carplay is so useful & cool, then why won't it work with those 2 mediums??
To lock the connection into a cord only, is simply stupid..... and worthless to me!

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
The current beta of CarPlay can connect with Bluetooth. If the head unit is compatible (none are yet - you will need a new car). Phone calls work with Bluetooth, in fact I find that so annoying that I often leave Bluetooth off.

I thought the point of an iPhone is you don't have to carry a now redundant iPod. On top of that, using maps and streaming audio means your phone is using a good bit of power. Plugging in is easy so why not? Sure you have your reasons, but I'm happy I don't have to carry around a separate cell phone, camera, iPod, sound meter, compass, atlas, books, and so on. Hard to see why plugging a phone in in your car is harder than at home or work.

·
Registered
6 Posts
USB disconnecting

About half the time, my phone in ApplePlay get cut off. Unplugging and replugging only sometimes helps. Using Apple cord helps a bit, but not always.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
I was having the same problem when I first bought my car and tried a number of cables. Turned out it was dust in the Lightning port. Like a new phone after cleaning that out after 3 years with my 6S. No issues with any cables now, even the cheap variety.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have an APPLE cable and mine does the same thing. Unlocking the phone before plugging it in completely avoids the problem, or just turn the "allow when locked" option off and back on every couple of days. Starngely enough my sister has the same problem with her 2017 Kia Forte5.

·
Registered
1 Posts
ove this car but I agree. And the other reason it's pretty unless is- why would you offer wireless charging and not a wireless Carplay connection? like a lot of these technology features in cars these days, it's a lot of hype.

·
Super Moderator
631 Posts
ove this car but I agree. And the other reason it's pretty unless is- why would you offer wireless charging and not a wireless Carplay connection? like a lot of these technology features in cars these days, it's a lot of hype.
I don't know of any car with wireless CarPlay yet. I did a quick search, and could only find an article from 2018. It lists a handful of BMW, Mercedes and Audi products. No mainline auto manufacturers seem to offer it yet. Could be the additional cost, or perhaps something else. For whatever reason it hasn't caught on yet.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts