Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Kia Niro Hybrid LX
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was recently at the dealership for an oil change and the service advisor mentioned to me that since I am approaching the 30K mile and that he highly recommends the following services:
-transmission KIA flush
-coolant flush
-brake fluid flush

I don't know if these are necessary because the owners manual doesn't state anything services like this. Do you think they are trying to rip me off?

·
Registered
112 Posts
I was recently at the dealership for an oil change and the service advisor mentioned to me that since I am approaching the 30K mile and that he highly recommends the following services:
-transmission KIA flush
-coolant flush
-brake fluid flush

I don't know if these are necessary because the owners manual doesn't state anything services like this. Do you think they are trying to rip me off?
Not necessary. Only necessary services are in the owners manual. They always try to upsell you.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Niro PHEV EX Premium
1,557 Posts
Brake fluid flush is in the schedule, but I can't say for certain what the mileage says. Brake fluid absorbs moisture from the air over time, and moisture causes rust in the calipers and anywhere else the fluid contacts. So every manufacturer recommends flushing the fluid at certain intervals. They usually have coolant in there as well, but certainly not at 30k. Dual clutch transmissions do have a fluid replacement schedule as well, but it differs by manufacturer. My GTI has a DCT (they call it a DSG) and it has a 40,000 mile interval. Just had ours changed at 80,000 miles last week. But again, I doubt Kia specifies changing it that early.

I just pulled up the 2017 HEV schedule (first one that came up) and it says 140,000 miles/10 years for the engine and inverter coolant, brake fluid at 24 months/20,000 miles, and there is no scheduled replacement of the DCT fluid, unless the car/transmission has been submerged. If the transmission has been submerged, you likely have larger issues. :D

·
Registered
112 Posts
Brake fluid flush is in the schedule, but I can't say for certain what the mileage says. Brake fluid absorbs moisture from the air over time, and moisture causes rust in the calipers and anywhere else the fluid contacts. So every manufacturer recommends flushing the fluid at certain intervals. They usually have coolant in there as well, but certainly not at 30k. Dual clutch transmissions do have a fluid replacement schedule as well, but it differs by manufacturer. My GTI has a DCT (they call it a DSG) and it has a 40,000 mile interval. Just had ours changed at 80,000 miles last week. But again, I doubt Kia specifies changing it that early.

I just pulled up the 2017 HEV schedule (first one that came up) and it says 140,000 miles/10 years for the engine and inverter coolant, brake fluid at 24 months/20,000 miles, and there is no scheduled replacement of the DCT fluid, unless the car/transmission has been submerged. If the transmission has been submerged, you likely have larger issues. :D
I checked the normal service schedule on my 2018 Niro PHEV LX ... and:
  • There is no brake fluid flush in the schedule. Absent any leaks, the brake fluid is meant to last the life of the vehicle. Inspection of brake fluid level in the reservoir and top off as necessary is normal.
  • Engine coolant and inverter coolant are replaced at 120,000 miles or 96 months, whichever comes first.
  • Engine clutch actuator fluid is replaced every 22,500 miles or 18 months, whichever comes first.
This may vary by model type and year, so your owners manual is your bible. 😊

·
Registered
582 Posts
-transmission KIA flush
-coolant flush
-brake fluid flush

Yes they are!!!

·
Registered
582 Posts
I checked the normal service schedule on my 2018 Niro PHEV LX ... and:
  • There is no brake fluid flush in the schedule. Absent any leaks, the brake fluid is meant to last the life of the vehicle. Inspection of brake fluid level in the reservoir and top off as necessary is normal.
  • Engine coolant and inverter coolant are replaced at 120,000 miles or 96 months, whichever comes first.
  • Engine clutch actuator fluid is replaced every 22,500 miles or 18 months, whichever comes first.
This may vary by model type and year, so your owners manual is your bible. 😊
Markjosh51....ask them why they let you go beyond Kia recommendation of having the dual clutch fluid changed at 22.500mi. and why they are recommending things that are due way in the future. I bet the "service advisor" doesn't even know what the dual clutch fluid is. Tell him you will consider his recommendations when he knows what he is talking about.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Niro Hybrid LX
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Markjosh51....ask them why they let you go beyond Kia recommendation of having the dual clutch fluid changed at 22.500mi. and why they are recommending things that are due way in the future. I bet the "service advisor" doesn't even know what the dual clutch fluid is. Tell him you will consider his recommendations when he knows what he is talking about.
The service advisor told me “to prolong the life of the car”

·
Super Moderator
1,557 Posts
Brake fluid absolutely has a change cycle, for the reason I listed. Every manufacturer recommends changing the fluid after about 2 years because of the moisture absorbing into the fluid. I was quoting a KIA web site with the service intervals I stated.

·
Registered
61 Posts
The discussion about changing brake fluid caused me to do some web searches. It appears it's likely moisture will get into the brake fluid over time and can eventually cause problems with the car's breaking system. Some mechanics recommend using test strips to periodically check for moisture content in the brake fluid. I'm wary of this for two reasons, one using test strips can allow moisture to get into the brake fluid and second, you have to trust your mechanic to give you an honest test result (assuming it's actually done). While others say a good time to consider changing brake fluid is when you get brake work done.

·
Registered
2020 Niro HEV EX+
121 Posts
While others say a good time to consider changing brake fluid is when you get brake work done.
This is exactly what I did on every brake job I performed when working in the trade. We had a power bleeder to flush the old fluid out and we purchased brake fluid by the 5 gallon pail.

·
Super Moderator
1,557 Posts
This is exactly what I did on every brake job I performed when working in the trade. We had a power bleeder to flush the old fluid out and we purchased brake fluid by the 5 gallon pail.
That's pretty much what I've done over the years as well. However, most of that work dates back many years/decades. Earlier versions of brake fluid (before DOT 3 and DOT 4) didn't absorb moisture as readily as the newer stuff. That's one reason why way back then there was no recommended brake fluid replacement, as it was fine for the life of the brake shoes/pads. That's not the case any longer. Also, with a hybrid the brakes aren't used nearly as much as in a regular car. The brakes don't get as warm, the fluid doesn't get as warm, and moisture doesn't get evaporated from the heat. So with a hybrid vehicle I can absolutely see a need for changing the brake fluid.

·
Registered
2020 Niro HEV EX+
121 Posts
That's pretty much what I've done over the years as well. However, most of that work dates back many years/decades. Earlier versions of brake fluid (before DOT 3 and DOT 4) didn't absorb moisture as readily as the newer stuff. That's one reason why way back then there was no recommended brake fluid replacement, as it was fine for the life of the brake shoes/pads. That's not the case any longer. Also, with a hybrid the brakes aren't used nearly as much as in a regular car. The brakes don't get as warm, the fluid doesn't get as warm, and moisture doesn't get evaporated from the heat. So with a hybrid vehicle I can absolutely see a need for changing the brake fluid.
Actually, brake fluid has not changed over the years other than DOT 4 was not available many years back. Brake fluid always attracts moisture and must be kept sealed, which is the case on the vehicle as long as the cap is on the master cylinder.
Moisture enters the system from the heating and cooling of the fluid (condensation) and today's disc brakes create more heat than ever, hence the DOT 4 (increased boiling point) and subsequent earlier change. While the heat of the brakes will get rid of the moisture, air will also be minutely introduced into the system and that is likely more of an issue over time.
DOT 5 fluid is synthetic and not really susceptible to moisture but also not recommended in anything but race applications.

·
Registered
3 Posts
-transmission KIA flush
-coolant flush
-brake fluid flush

I believe all 3 need attention at different intervals. I religiously do trans fluid on all of my vehicles at 30k. Coolant every 5 year or 100k. Brake fluid flush every 30k as well. Cheap insurance especially if you do it yourself.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Upon re-reading this thread I see where the "Service Advisor" in the original post shows his ignorance of the Niro. Kia doesn't recommend a transmission flush since it doesn't use trans fliud (commonly referred to as automatic transmission fluid) since the DCT transmission uses oil. This is a continuing source of confusion since the internals of the DCT transmission is very similar to a manual transmission and uses basically gear oil instead of auto. trans. fluid.

·
Registered
2020 Niro HEV EX+
121 Posts
Upon re-reading this thread I see where the "Service Advisor" in the original post shows his ignorance of the Niro. Kia doesn't recommend a transmission flush since it doesn't use trans fliud (commonly referred to as automatic transmission fluid) since the DCT transmission uses oil. This is a continuing source of confusion since the internals of the DCT transmission is very similar to a manual transmission and uses basically gear oil instead of auto. trans. fluid.
You got it exactly. The Niro transmission is actually a manual transmission and in my trade experience, there was never a scheduled fluid change for manual transmissions.

·
Super Moderator
1,557 Posts
You got it exactly. The Niro transmission is actually a manual transmission and in my trade experience, there was never a scheduled fluid change for manual transmissions.
Well, VW also uses a dual clutch transmission with oil, and it absolutely has a change interval, 40,000 miles to be precise. With true manual transmissions, yes, there's no reason to change out the oil. But dual clutch transmissions have fluid that also passes through and around the clutch packs, and clutches do wear and add material to the fluid.

·
Registered
2020 Niro HEV EX+
121 Posts
Well, VW also uses a dual clutch transmission with oil, and it absolutely has a change interval, 40,000 miles to be precise. With true manual transmissions, yes, there's no reason to change out the oil. But dual clutch transmissions have fluid that also passes through and around the clutch packs, and clutches do wear and add material to the fluid.
You are correct about the VW dual clutch maintenance but for the Niro, my research suggests dry clutches and therefore, Kia does not include a transmission fluid change in the maintenance schedule. Unless a leak occurs or the vehicle is submerged in water, I don't see a reason to change the tranny fluid. If submerged in water, there would be a host of other issues :mad:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts