Kia Niro Forum banner
  • Welcome to the Kia Niro forum! We discuss all models of the Niro, including the Hybrid, PHEV and EV versions. We are glad you stopped by. Feel free to browse the various topics, along with out FAQs. To enable posting, you need to register for a user account. There is no cost for this. Just click in the upper right corner where it says Login/Join. We look forward to your continued parcipitation.

Are you that Petty not to include a $185 charger for the NiroWave?

2K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  adhack 
#1 ·
We just leased the car last Saturday- came home

1. The salesperson forgot to mention that the charger was not included- they didn't have the courtesy to give a full charge to the car so we could order a spare charger in the next 2 days so we could charge the car.
2. The Kia Connect was not programmed

It is getting a little annoying that car companies are getting away with this sort of tactic- at $46K pop the least you guys can do is to supply a charger, now that you have already eliminated the spare tire as well..

#2 ·
It's not just Kia. Tesla has stopped providing an EVSE with their cars as well. I think it's extremely short sighted, and pretty sure it's strictly for cost control.

Reactions: Enraptored
#3 ·
Not sure how helpful it would be to have the $185 level 1 charger for the Niro Wave. How long would it take to charge your Niro from 10% to 90% capacity?

Seems like many Tesla (as well as KIA EV6) owners do not charge their vehicles at home. The superchargers in our smallish community are almost always filled with Teslas and the EV6ers are attached to public fast chargers.

The level 1 and level 2 chargers for the Teslas seemed to be used as a last resort, many folks put charging systems in their garages. In our city, one has to get solar installed in order to get the permit for a charging station.

I would think that a minority of folks use their level 1 charging cables on a routine basis. What a pain not to have a way to charge a new vehicle--if I bought a car with an internal combustion engine with a mostly empty gas tank I could drive it down the street at fill it up within 5 minutes and be on my way. Not quite with a partially charged EV.

Am happy living the pseudo limited range EV life--can go over 500 miles with a tank of gas and a charged traction battery, and it takes 5 minutes to increase the range back up to 500 miles.

It did not seem like rocket science when my salesman set my KIA connect up--it took maybe 2-3 minutes.

The lack of spare tire is also gamesmanship to meet the Federal mandated corporate gas mileage average--also an expense that is not passed onto the buyer.

Welcome to the forum!

#6 ·
Not sure how helpful it would be to have the $185 level 1 charger for the Niro Wave. How long would it take to charge your Niro from 10% to 90% capacity?

Seems like many Tesla (as well as KIA EV6) owners do not charge their vehicles at home. The superchargers in our smallish community are almost always filled with Teslas and the EV6ers are attached to public fast chargers.

The level 1 and level 2 chargers for the Teslas seemed to be used as a last resort, many folks put charging systems in their garages. In our city, one has to get solar installed in order to get the permit for a charging station.

I would think that a minority of folks use their level 1 charging cables on a routine basis. What a pain not to have a way to charge a new vehicle--if I bought a car with an internal combustion engine with a mostly empty gas tank I could drive it down the street at fill it up within 5 minutes and be on my way. Not quite with a partially charged EV.

Am happy living the pseudo limited range EV life--can go over 500 miles with a tank of gas and a charged traction battery, and it takes 5 minutes to increase the range back up to 500 miles.

It did not seem like rocket science when my salesman set my KIA connect up--it took maybe 2-3 minutes.

The lack of spare tire is also gamesmanship to meet the Federal mandated corporate gas mileage average--also an expense that is not passed onto the buyer.

Welcome to the forum!
I can see not charging a full on EV at home all of the time , but a plug in hybrid ? I'm pretty sure that had we'd gone PHEV instead of HEV I'd be using my own power on a regular basis . It's my opinion that on every car sold there should be a spare , and car's with plugs they should set you up , so you're good to go .

#8 ·
The PHEV still comes with an EVSE. It's only the BEV that doesn't.
Thanks for the info about the charger cables . It's not like they're giving those cars away . I've been looking at Canadian prices on Auto Trader , the prices are ridiculous, theres people trying to sell used Niros for new prices . I think that the dealer should set you up , within reason , but there's good service and bad service . At least they should inform you about what you're going to need to survive in the wild .

#9 ·
theres people trying to sell used Niros for new prices
Oh, it's crazy down here as well. A local Toyota dealer brought two used RAV4 Prime models here, where Toyota doesn't sell any Prime models. These were both a model year old, one with only a few hundred miles and the other just under 2000 miles. While both were the XSE trim (top level) neither had the premium package with the faster charger and some other options. And this dealer was asking (remember, they were used) $16,000 above their MSRP brand new price. (n)

#5 ·

1. The salesperson forgot to mention that the charger was not included- they didn't have the courtesy to give a full charge to the car so we could order a spare charger in the next 2 days so we could charge the car.

It is getting a little annoying that car companies are getting away with this sort of tactic- at $46K pop the least you guys can do is to supply a charger, now that you have already eliminated the spare tire as well..
I think any dealer that sells EV's should have to have an on site charging station/cable (preferably 240V) so that they can at least sell the car with a full charge.

#12 ·

Yeah, it's pretty ridiculous when you spend that kind of money on a new vehicle and they skimp on things like a charger and spare tire. Neither the Wave or Wind come with them. Guess flat tire fixes are the new thing as most auto makers are going this way as well.

My sales person said to just get a charger off Amazon. I found a nice level 1 and 2 with a digital display and activity bar with a long cable for about $125 and got it in two days. Works perfectly and I just use a 120 volt overnight once in awhile no problem to get a 260 mile charge.

#13 ·
Yeah, it's pretty ridiculous when you spend that kind of money on a new vehicle and they skimp on things like a charger and spare tire. Neither the Wave or Wind come with them. Guess flat tire fixes are the new thing as most auto makers are going this way as well.

My sales person said to just get a charger off Amazon. I found a nice level 1 and 2 with a digital display and activity bar with a long cable for about $125 and got it in two days. Works perfectly and I just use a 120 volt overnight once in awhile no problem to get a 260 mile charge.

View attachment 8763
BTW, how many amps are you charging at when connected to 120V?

#14 ·
I think it’s pretty silly that my PHEV came with a level 1 charger but the EVs do not. That really kind of seems backwards.
I have a family friend who has a new Hyundai EV and he just slowly charges it all day with a level 1. My thinking was a level 2 is a “must have” if you plan to charge an EV at home, but my reality is we’re averaging about 30 miles… so a simple L1 might work just fine for anyone who doesn’t drive hundreds of miles a day. 🤔 Personally, I’d probably get an L2 installed eventually, but it’s nice to know that might not be a requirement.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.