Kia Niro Forum banner
  • Welcome to the Kia Niro forum! We discuss all models of the Niro, including the Hybrid, PHEV and EV versions. We are glad you stopped by. Feel free to browse the various topics, along with out FAQs. To enable posting, you need to register for a user account. There is no cost for this. Just click in the upper right corner where it says Login/Join. We look forward to your continued parcipitation.

As warm weather has finally arrived, decided to start maximizing my PHEV electric driving

2K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  kia_niro_bob 
#1 ·
In Chicago area, warm weather has finally arrived, and I finally turned off AUTO for climate control and just using either windows down or driving with A/C. Nice using no gas today...Over drove 100 miles and used up most of my 26 miles of battery (did use Hybrid option on highway). Today 24 miles round trip driving a stop this morning, on way back used highway and A/C and still had 5 miles EV left when pulled into local public charging spot in community.

Over 1K miles and 3/4 tank left which should last through June unless make a road trip...

#2 ·
Over 1K miles and 3/4 tank left which should last through June unless make a road trip...
Yep, pretty easy to do with a decent PHEV. I usually got 30 miles from EV more pretty regularly, with 35 as my best, all with the A/C on. Looking forward to seeing the new 2023 version. I might switch back from an EV to a PHEV if it's as good as it appears in the data.

#3 ·
I'm older, so I prefer the layout of the 2022, but of course would have liked the larger battery and I think more powerful electric motor. I do use the regenerative paddle when possible. Used A/C for 1/2 the trip since temp was in 90's and humid... on return trip.

#4 ·
Ah, I'm likely as old as you are. :D I'm not loving the contrasting color on the rear body panel of the '23, but I am liking the interior update. And yes, adding 50+% more electric power would be a huge improvement. It was probably my biggest complaint, because I live on a long hill and I could barely climb it without the ICE coming on. My only other real gripe (not really a complaint) was that the ICE had to start for cabin heat. The '23 is going to have an electric heater, so no engine required just to stay warm. Add in the larger battery, and you probably still have about 30 miles of EV range in the winter, and probably close to 40 in the summer.

Reactions: Dovidan
#5 ·
I'm not loving the contrasting color on the rear body panel of the '23, but I am liking the interior update.
The rear body panel is edgy. You’ll lead to love it. ;)

What has changed with the interior? Is it the somewhat larger size or are there functional / aesthetic updates you are referring to?

I recently bought a 2022, and am interested in the 2023 (more powerful electric motor, larger battery being the primary reasons), so I’m interested in the other updates, too.

#6 ·
Don't fear using the A/C. If the system is anything like in the EV, it's power consumption is less than using the stereo. I am also in Chicago and have been driving in this upper 70's/low 80 (occasionally 90) degree weather lately. I tried it without a/c and could get 5.8 m/kWh on my drive to work. Sweat through all my clothes, total disaster. Tried the A/C the next day, set on driver only, 75 degrees, speed 1 with recirculation. Got 5.7 m/kWh on my drive and didn't sweat.

Considering the aerodynamic disadvantages to having your windows open, you are probably still better off using the a/c even in 70 degree weather if you want to maximize EV range.

#9 ·
Don't fear using the A/C. If the system is anything like in the EV, it's power consumption is less than using the stereo. I am also in Chicago and have been driving in this upper 70's/low 80 (occasionally 90) degree weather lately.
Yea, used to try to avoid A/C on the Prius I had... Was crazy... Did have the Solar roof / sun roof option which really worked better than I thought it would in keeping the inside car cooler if you couldn't park car in shadey area.

My youngest son lives near old cabrini green are near New Orleans and Chicago in condo. Did a round trip on Mothers day to pick him and grandson up...I mixed up driving EV / Hybrid and pretty happy getting about 75 MPG. Was brutal since one trip was competing with Cubs traffic that was let out....

#10 ·
I'm not that old (41) but I like the current Niro interior better than the EV6 style of interior. More physical buttons are a plus in my mind. Plus the 2 spoke steering wheel is a no go for me. I'm just a traditional guy. Give me buttons and a 3 spoke steering wheel.

I'm not sure why these presenters are trying to "hype up" dumb features like a passenger seat that leans back really far. Seriously? Every car I have ever owned has had a seat that folds all the way back to the rear seat.

Edit: Ugg, left work early to get my front windows tinted. 2pm driving straight west in 95 degree weather and the sun beating down on me. Really needed to crank the A/C. Ended up choosing the top end window tint with the best heat rejection. Probably going to get the windshield done at a later date.

#13 ·
Interesting outcome from driving around for day on Saturday...

Topped off charge since going to attend nephew's wedding this evening.
Of course had to run out and wen to top off charge again which was unable to do since ran out of time).

Drove with A/C on (Temp in 70's but humidity was in 80's and for some reason, my wife does not like humidity when she is all dressed up).

On way home my ice turned on about a mile from home (noticed why people complain about sluggishness since does drive differently after driving on EV).

This afternoon, when I went to charge up car at community center, noticed ice didn't turn on right away,. WHen got to 220V charge station, estimated time was 2:50 minutes... Longest I remember time to charge. Set timer and will do some errands while I charge up...

#15 ·
When got to 220V charge station, estimated time was 2:50 minutes... Longest I remember time to charge.
The PHEV only has a 3.3 kW charger on board, so 16 amps maximum. I suspect the charging station you were using was shared with another car, and you weren't getting the full 3.3 kW from the station. When we visit our local hospital, they have Chargepoint shared stations that only provide 6 kW. If two cars are plugged in, you only get 3 kW for each car. That would account for your longer than expected charging time. Using my home EVSE, which is 40 amp, it always charged the Niro at the full 16 amps, and I never saw more than 2:25 to charge it when completely drained (zero miles range, the battery showing about 15% state of charge).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.