Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been discussed before but I forgot if it was answered. If your dog loves to go for a ride with you but you don't take him/her because you may have to leave him/her alone in the car and now it's too hot to do that, there is a solution. You can leave your furry friend in the car with it on and the A/C on and still have it locked. This worked for me but not sure if it will for all different models/options.
1. Put car in park.
2. With drivers door closed use the lock button on the armrest to lock all the doors and then open the drivers door to get out.
3. Use mechanical key to lock drivers door so now all doors are locked. You just have to use the mechanical key again to unlock the drivers door when you get back. I was surprised the remote didn't work to unlock the doors when I got back to the car.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Isn't it great! I believe you can use the app to turn on climate control too. I need to put a thermometer in and test out these different methods on the next sunny day to make sure I'm doing it right before I put a dog in the car.

·
Super Moderator
487 Posts
But you still might have someone break your car windows thinking the animal is in a closed up car. My personal opinion: either don't take the dog at all or take them with you when you exit the car. And if your dog rides on your lap while driving, please don't. If the air bag goes off for any reason, both you and the dog are going to suffer.

·
Super Moderator
450 Posts
I would STRONGLY suggest that you DO NOT DO THIS.

It does not matter if you can have your car with A/C and the door locked so your dog inside is all comfortable. The people on the outside will not know. They will not know that your car has electric A/C, and all they will see is a dog inside a car that is as far as they are concernd turned off. They will assume if it is hot outside that is it an inferno hot inside your car. What will happend to you. Your car window will be smashed to rescue your dog. You may get charged with endangering your animal. it doesn't matter if the inside of the car is cool or not. It is totally what everyone on the outside will see and think. They will call the police on you. They will call the fire department. They will take matters into their own hands and you will still be left with the blame. DON'T DO IT!!!

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Sign sounds like a good idea. But if I was a bystander, I'd want to be sure any animal was in real distress before I damaged real property. That is a crime independent of motive.

On another thread, someone posted that step one is locking car from inside first (which I had posted) was not necessary, and that using the mechanical key will lock all doors. I haven't tried to confirm that myself as I'll never need to do that but I had tried it your way and it worked.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No it didn't even dawn on me that the mechanical key would lock all the doors, I'll have to try that also. Also even with the ICE off the A/C makes enough noise that I thought people would know car is on but I can see a sign would be safer.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Yeah, a sign and a thermometer on top of the dashboard so people can see the interior temps would be wise.

I would only use this on long trips at rest stops. Pet dogs aren't allowed in the bathrooms so I would run in to go potty myself, then get the pup out for their potty break. I normally don't take my pet with me on trips, but my mom has requested I bring him next time I visit.

·
Super Moderator
487 Posts
Yeah, a sign and a thermometer on top of the dashboard so people can see the interior temps would be wise.
The problem with a thermometer would be if it is affected by sunlight coming in through the windows. You'd need one that could have the sensor placed out of all possible direct sunlight paths, with a display visible outside along with the sign.

My dog enjoys a short car ride, but I never take him somewhere I have to exit the car. The only exception might be an early morning run to the grocery store, before the sun has even risen. I can understand the issue if you are traveling a long distance. I would be more inclined to leave a window partially down for the few minutes I would spend in the restroom, just to show he's getting fresh air.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
No it didn't even dawn on me that the mechanical key would lock all the doors, I'll have to try that also.
It does make sense that the mechanical key would operate the same way as the door button (just not taking notice of the key fob proximity). But I fell into the same intellectual trap you did.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I would be more inclined to leave a window partially down for the few minutes I would spend in the restroom, just to show he's getting fresh air.

I travel through the desert. Outside air temp is 100+ during the summer. Even with all 4 windows all the way down the car would get too hot.

Good point about the sun on the thermometer giving a higher reading. I'll be sure to park so it can be out of direct sun.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I normally put all the windows down 3 to 4 in and just leave the car running. I might try that door lock procedure if I find that necessary, my fob is never out of the car anyway.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts