Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I test drove a Niro Touring today, I really liked the inside but my major 2 beefs were no auto-dimming mirror and no remote start (remote start being the biggest). The dealer said they can install both of them for about $1100 extra. Anyone have either of these added? Or anyone know if the 2018 they may be added?

·
Registered
125 Posts
I had an auto-dimming mirror in my Optima previously but I haven't noticed a need for it in my Niro. I thought I would miss it, but I haven't at all. That might change as winter arrives because I will be commuting to and from work in darker times.

As for the remote start, I don't see how you can do that in a hybrid. The point of remote start in a gas only engine is that the engine starts and turns on the heat. Just having the battery kick on doesn't seem to be very effective to start melting things. And is it even possible to have the front and rear defroster automatically kick on with remote start?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had an auto-dimming mirror in my Optima previously but I haven't noticed a need for it in my Niro. I thought I would miss it, but I haven't at all. That might change as winter arrives because I will be commuting to and from work in darker times.

As for the remote start, I don't see how you can do that in a hybrid. The point of remote start in a gas only engine is that the engine starts and turns on the heat. Just having the battery kick on doesn't seem to be very effective to start melting things. And is it even possible to have the front and rear defroster automatically kick on with remote start?

I'm not sure, but the sales manager came over and clearly said they could install both and even wrote it on the paper work. (not that I've made up my mind yet). But was curious if anyone had tried. Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
That's odd. When I bought my 2018 Kia Niro a few weeks ago, I asked about remote start and the salesman told me that Kia did not offer one for the Niro. He also said that there was no after-market option, either. If there really is an after-martket option, then I'm not sure if/why he'd lie about it since if Kia doesn't offer one, then they aren't in the competition! I hope he was just misinformed.

Anyway, I thought I'd share my experience. And I'd love to know if there's any option out there.

By the way, if you want to heat/defrost your car with auto start, then in my experience with previous cars, whether it's fuel or electric, you just need to set the climate the way you want it before you shut your car off.

·
Registered
331 Posts
When I asked my dealer about remote start and the hybrid system he said, if it was remote started the gas engine will run as long the heat is turned on. I guess with heat on the gas engine runs. He looked it up and said it was available. Maybe he meant after market. I use mine all the time on my Chevy, I would miss it.

·
Registered
221 Posts
When I asked my dealer about remote start and the hybrid system he said, if it was remote started the gas engine will run as long the heat is turned on. I guess with heat on the gas engine runs. He looked it up and said it was available. Maybe he meant after market. I use mine all the time on my Chevy, I would miss it.
Yes when it’s cold out and the heat is on the ICE will kick in until it warms up enough to warm up the car. So the concept could work (when it’s offered by Kia or aftermarket I have no idea).

·
Registered
1 Posts
I live in Vegas, we want remote start to COOL the car from 120* to something less agonizing. Would love to be able to turn it on from my home or office to get a head start on cooling down the cabin.

·
Registered
5 Posts
already available?

My (mid-grade) 2018 has both the auto-dimming rearview mirror and the ability to turn the climate control on remotely using the Uvo eco app. Is this something that is only available in the PHEV?

It does pop up a warning that it might need to start the gas engine, but I assume maybe it only needs to do that if you've asked it to turn on the heat, which I've never done since you rarely need it in SoCal in August. :)

·
Registered
57 Posts
I tried it once just to see how it worked, but I'll probably never use the remote start capabilities of the EVO ECO app with my PHEV either living in a temperate coastal climate in western WA. I find it odd that the Niro's warning lights flash during the entire maximum 10 minute operation.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm not sure, but the sales manager came over and clearly said they could install both and even wrote it on the paper work. (not that I've made up my mind yet). But was curious if anyone had tried. Thanks
Would you please share more information on the remote start they say is available? Can the sales manager give you more details such as the model and part numbers along with the cost? I have been waiting since February for Kia to come out with a remote start for my 2018 HEV Touring Graphite.

·
Registered
42 Posts
remote start of the climate (and ICE if needed for heat) works perfectly in the smartphone app, Evo eco on my 2018 PHEV EX. They even caution you to only use in a ventilated area as ICE may start. And the EX came with auto dimming rear mirror

·
Registered
18 Posts
My PHEV EV Premium came with the auto dimming rear view mirror and I have successfully used the scheduled remote start from the UVO ECO iPhone app.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts