Kia Niro Forum banner
  • Welcome to the Kia Niro forum! We discuss all models of the Niro, including the Hybrid, PHEV and EV versions. We are glad you stopped by. Feel free to browse the various topics, along with out FAQs. To enable posting, you need to register for a user account. There is no cost for this. Just click in the upper right corner where it says Login/Join. We look forward to your continued parcipitation.

auto headlights/DRL

16K views 21 replies 7 participants last post by  lafe005 
#1 ·
I like to leave my lights in auto mode. However, sometimes they don't turn on when I think they should.

Shouldn't DRLs be on all the time and headlights only come on when sunlight is too weak?

Sometimes I'm driving during the day or dusk in auto mode and nothing in on.?

Does anyone know where the external light sensor is? Could it be dirty? Dirty would tend to make them stay on more than required?

Is anyone else seeing an issue with auto mode?

There is a reference in the user manual to some connection to headlights and windshield wipers. What's that all about or is that just a big typo?

#4 ·
Mine seem to turn on when not needed, like if I'm driving east in the evening with the sun behind me sometimes they'll turn on. I haven't noticed them not on when I wanted them to be. They turn on pretty quick in tunnels and parking garages for me as well.

I think the windshield wiper thing just means that if you have the lights in "Auto" and turn on the wipers, the headlights come on. That's how it works in my '18 EX Premium PHEV anyway.

#10 ·
If the sun's behind you, perhaps they should be on because that might mean that oncoming traffic has the sun in their eyes and can't easily see you.

I re-read that description in the owner's manual several times before finally reaching the same conclusion that you reached. It probably means that the headlights come on if the switch is in auto mode and you turn the wipers on. Some states in the USA have a law that requires headlights to be on if your wipers are on, so it makes sense that they would design that behavior into the car.

#9 ·
Not all trim levels of the 2017 Niro have daytime running lights.........ours is the 2017 EX and DOES have them, it's the LED lights at the very bottom of the car near the fog lights.......... the headlights do NOT run as DRL lights in any capacity................what year/trim level do you have?

#12 ·
I believe my Niro works as designed. I just wish it was designed differently.

The are 4 positions on the light control knob.

Headlight (headlights and DRL ON, regardless of sunlight)
DRL ON (DRL ON, headlights OFF, regardless of sunlight)
AUTO (headlights and DRL ON, if no/weak sunlight)
DRL OFF (headlights and DRL OFF, regardless of sunlight)

I think AUTO should be; DRL ON regardless, headlights ON if no/weak sunlight

KIA, how about a software update to change this function.

#13 ·
I think AUTO should be; DRL ON regardless, headlights ON if no/weak sunlight
That is how my auto choice functions. However, taillights are off (seems an odd choice). Pick the third choice and headlight accent and parking lights and taillights are on.

Auto also turns on headlights/taillights after a few seconds with any wiper setting.

#16 ·
In my 2018 USA PHEV, I use the "Auto" setting for the lights. During the day, there is no indicator on my dashboard to suggest that the DRL are on, but I do have lights on. I noticed that the other day when I pulled up in front of a store and saw my lights reflected from the window glass of the store. I was a bit surprised by which lights were on though: they were down low, not the headlights. Previously, I thought the DRL were the headlights and just on dim, but I'm probably carrying around that impression from my previous car.

There might be some differences in the behavior of this feature for cars sold in different countries. If I understand correctly, daytime headlights are legally required in at least some parts of Canada. To the best of my knowledge, they are not generally required in the USA, although there are some roads that are posted in a way that indicates that you need to have them on when driving that particular road (usually these are roads with a high rate of accidents, typically they are long roads that lack safe passing opportunities).

#17 ·
The DRLs (driving lights) are very bright and down low, on the same level as the fog lights (on so equipped cars). They look (are styled) like LEDs but I don't think they are. They are on in any setting of the headlight switch (except DRL off of course). In some other cars the DRLs are much higher, often with a horizontal and vertical component.

#18 ·
Must be a HEV vs PHEV difference.

My 2018 PHEV has

headlights on top
DRL right underneath/behind the headlights in lazy "L" shape , LED
fog lights low

drl off under AUTO unless low sunlight turns on the headlight (in my opinion DRL should be on all the time in AUTO)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.