Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never had a back up camera before and still trying to get used to it.... it seems there is no buzzer or any alert to let you knwo that you're about to hit something, even though you can ostensibly see it. I don't really understand how the two sets of lines work...and didn't see it in the massive manual. Anyone have tips to understand how the thing works, (other than the obvious advantage of it being a CAMERA that you can SEE what is behind you?)

·
Registered
57 Posts
I've never had a back up camera before and still trying to get used to it.... it seems there is no buzzer or any alert to let you knwo that you're about to hit something, even though you can ostensibly see it. I don't really understand how the two sets of lines work...and didn't see it in the massive manual. Anyone have tips to understand how the thing works, (other than the obvious advantage of it being a CAMERA that you can SEE what is behind you?)
Yellow is a good stopping point. Red is the absolute max you can go without hitting something. I got the touring for exactly this reason: I thought the parking assist would be more helpful to me in the long-term than AEB / Smart Cruise Control. (I've never used Cruised Control in my Honda in 16 years.) It'll scream at me when I'm at the red line, and calmly admonish me when I'm at the yellow. Hope that helps. :)

·
Registered
450 Posts
The way I see the lines backing up is:

Watch Blue for where you want to put it (say middle of a parking space) and yellow for where you are heading. Line them up and you don't see the blue anymore.

You get a good wide view of he area behind you and you can see the edge of your bumper at bottom of the screen (that bumper view pretty well tells you when to stop).

Mine is a EX and does not have parking assist. I don't think I get a warning if about to hit something (do get warning pulling out of parking area FWD or Backing Out if a car is coming by). NOT TAT ONE SHOULD DEPEND ON THAT -- Better keep an eye on things as in Old Days.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Depending on what model Niro you have, there are different backup warnings. I believe the base model starts with just the backup camera. You can see how far you are based on the lines on the camera, but no beeps indicating your closeness. On my Touring with Tech package, there are front and back parking aids. When backing up, you will hear beeps that change in frequency depending on how close to an object you are. It also shows on the dash a color coded closeness indicator

·
Registered
18 Posts
I did not understand how to properly use backup camera . Found this YouTube video and it works perfectly. I have been backing into parking spaces all the time now.. ENJOY!!!!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Has anyone discovered a weather cover for the rear-view. It's almost unusable when the weather is bad.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Is it just me or does it also seem like the back of camera has some kind of basic night vision, or is electronically enhanced?

·
Registered
22 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts