·
Registered
2021 Kia Niro EV EX Premium
12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hopefully as a first responder you don't remove seat belts, airbags, brakes, and other government mandated safety features from your vehicles?

·
Administrator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
2,484 Posts
Starting with the 2020 models, they really made the back up alert annoyingly loud. I don't know why Kia did that, but it's quite annoying compared to my '19.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Starting with the 2020 models, they really made the back up alert annoyingly loud. I don't know why Kia did that, but it's quite annoying compared to my '19.
It's literally the law in the US. See #4 post. Don't blame Kia for following the law.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Niro HEV Touring Special Edition
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I guess safety only counts when it applies to you and not to pedestrians.
No one likes a self righteous moron who likes to make them selves feel better by going after a complete strange online. So I can only assume that you have NEVER exceeded a government mandated speed limit for others safety, or rolled through a government mandated stop sign for others safety, or parked in a government mandated fire lane for others safety. You of course are perfect, which is why you have the right to make half assessed comments about me, who turns off a backup alarm, which is louder then the government mandated decibel limit, when backing into my driveway at 10 o'clock at night.

Keep making dumb ass comments that no one cares about. I have better things to do then continue to engage with the likes of you. Keep on your crusade!

·
Administrator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
2,484 Posts
It's literally the law in the US. See #4 post. Don't blame Kia for following the law.
I completely understand it's the law. But why the sudden increase in volume? The alert on mine is noticeable without a problem. And above a few MPH, anyone with average hearing will hear the tires rolling on the surface. These alerts are overkill, but yes they are legally mandated and I won't disable it on mine.

·
Registered
12 Posts
If you live in the US, I would highly recommend leaving this alone. The new law states the vehicle has to make noise below a certain speed (30 kph). I wouldn't risk modifying the vehicle as that could make you criminally liable if you hit a pedestrian. IANAL (I Am Not A Lawyer). Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 141, Minimum Sound Requirements for Hybrid and Electric Vehicles
Please stop posting misinformation. There is nothing here that provides a vehicle owner could be found criminally liable for disconnecting or modifying this.

I would point out it's unlikely anyone else here is more sensitive toward this issue than I am as years ago a friend of mine ran over and killed his toddler daughter when backing up his Chevy Tahoe in his driveway.

Given that, I don't mind some noise. But it's WAY too loud as implemented on the Niro. Trying to figure out a way to muffle the noise.

·
Administrator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
2,484 Posts
I don't believe the audio level that Kia has used for this alert is mandated. My new Bolt is a '22, so it's going to meet whatever the standard is. It is very low level, audible of course but in no way objectionable. No idea why Kia made it so loud.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Now I’m able to kill the beep on demand. Super simple and works great!

View attachment 6933
Just to add some sanity to the comments, I added a kill switch, not so I could recklessly drive down residential and city streets killing pedestrians, but so that my wife and I can pull the car out of the driveway early in the morning or late at night without pissing off neighbors. The button is conveniently located next to the steering column so that we can let the backup alarm sound once or twice, switch it off, and then switch the sound back on again once we are on our way moving forward.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Niro HEV Touring Special Edition
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just to add some sanity to the comments, I added a kill switch, not so I could recklessly drive down residential and city streets killing pedestrians, but so that my wife and I can pull the car out of the driveway early in the morning or late at night without pissing off neighbors. The button is conveniently located next to the steering column so that we can let the backup alarm sound once or twice, switch it off, and then switch the sound back on again once we are on our way moving forward.
Exactly what I do! I wish Kia made it work that way. One or two beeps then quieter or off. Something better then waking the neighborhood when I get home at 11pm or leave for work at 515 in the morning.

·
Registered
6 Posts
After test driving a 2018 Niro and then a 2021 model, the lack of a loud backup alarm emerged as a compelling reason to go with the used vehicle!

·
Registered
5 Posts
If you live in the US, I would highly recommend leaving this alone. The new law states the vehicle has to make noise below a certain speed (30 kph). I wouldn't risk modifying the vehicle as that could make you criminally liable if you hit a pedestrian. IANAL (I Am Not A Lawyer). Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 141, Minimum Sound Requirements for Hybrid and Electric Vehicles
Then why doesn't the all electric 2021 Niro have that beep?
I've been told the bro is way above the requirement.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts