Kia Niro Forum banner
21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Starting with the 2020 models, they really made the back up alert annoyingly loud. I don't know why Kia did that, but it's quite annoying compared to my '19.
I was told at my dealership that there was a lawsuit because a child was killed when a Kia Niro backed up and killed the child. So the instituted this very loud beep that's louder than any other vehicle on the road. The Prius doesn't have a backup beep like that it just has a sound you can hear.
It's literally the law in the US. See #4 post. Don't blame Kia for following the law.
It's the law to have a noise or sound but the beep that Kia has is way above the decibel level required.

·
Administrator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
2,483 Posts
It's the law to have a noise or sound but the beep that Kia has is way above the decibel level required.
Yes, it is. My 2022 Bolt has to meet the same requirement, and it's just a low SciFi humming sound.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I own 2020 model and yes, it is loud. Do I care? No, not at all. I usually inside the car, so I hear less loud.

Do my neighbors annoyed with that sound? Probably, probably not.
Will they complain? I don't know, but none so far.

If they complain, I will ask Kia to do something :D

·
Registered
79 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Niro Touring SE
53 Posts
What would happen if you put a resistor across the beeper? I know it will reduce power to a lot of my RC stuff
It would depend on the amplifier that drives the annoying speaker, of what it's acceptable ohm range it can handle
Not sure what the resistance of the speaker is, but you could put a speaker in series and in parallel to keep the resistance the same.

·
Registered
36 Posts
It would depend on the amplifier that drives the annoying speaker, of what it's acceptable ohm range it can handle
Not sure what the resistance of the speaker is, but you could put a speaker in series and in parallel to keep the resistance the same.
Would a variable resister allow the same load on amp but less power to speaker? Essentially a volume knob.

·
Registered
2022 Niro Touring SE
53 Posts
Would a variable resister allow the same load on amp but less power to speaker? Essentially a volume knob.
You would still need to have one in t parallel and one in series to not drop or increase the impedance. I don't know what the amp is rated at as far as the load it's expecting to see. Most car audio amps expect from 4 to 8 ohms and can go a little higher or lower without a problem.

What you could do is to cut the wires going to the annoying speaker, then measure the resistance of that, then work backwards from there to increase the resistance going to the speaker, but putting a resistor in parallel to make it be a match the same ohms.

·
Registered
36 Posts
You would still need to have one in t parallel and one in series to not drop or increase the impedance. I don't know what the amp is rated at as far as the load it's expecting to see. Most car audio amps expect from 4 to 8 ohms and can go a little higher or lower without a problem.

What you could do is to cut the wires going to the annoying speaker, then measure the resistance of that, then work backwards from there to increase the resistance going to the speaker, but putting a resistor in parallel to make it be a match the same ohms.
If it gets annoying enough I might try playing with it.
Thanks for the input.

·
Administrator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
2,483 Posts
Just remember you have to partially disassemble the front bumper to reach the sound box. I think they purposely made it hard to access to discourage such tampering, since technically you'd be violating federal law by tampering with it.

But why Kia made it so annoyingly loud starting in 2020, I have no idea. Their excuse is the federal law requires it, but the law doesn't say it has to be that loud. My Bolt has to meet the same requirement, it it only emits a low Sci-Fi sound, just like my Niro did. It doesn't have to be that loud.

·
Registered
2022 Niro Touring SE
53 Posts
Just remember you have to partially disassemble the front bumper to reach the sound box. I think they purposely made it hard to access to discourage such tampering, since technically you'd be violating federal law by tampering with it.

But why Kia made it so annoyingly loud starting in 2020, I have no idea. Their excuse is the federal law requires it, but the law doesn't say it has to be that loud. My Bolt has to meet the same requirement, it it only emits a low Sci-Fi sound, just like my Niro did. It doesn't have to be that loud.
Federal law may require the manufacturer to install it, but I doubt there's a Federal law that requires you to you have it working. If there was, they would have to test for that when the do yearly inspections ( they don't here in Texas) Kinda like the tags on mattresses, that are illegal to remove except by the consumer.

Reactions: ArJay

·
Registered
Kia, Niro EV 2022
62 Posts
Just found this on ebay, as the 2022 models dont have the button any more, its a very handy and easy alternative: Kia Nero 2022 VESS silence METAL switch NO EXTERNAL PARKING SENSOR BEEPING | eBay
That method works great. I’ve been doing it since Feb. Some thoughts though:
  • That eBay price is too expensive. I just bought individual parts and soldered it myself.
  • The benefit is no copper wire must be pierced and compromised.
  • Turn the switch “on” if going to a DCFS since this allows the DC-charging cooling fan to turn on if needed.
  • You can easily pull out the switch and put the fuse back in if you don’t want to deal with a Dealership warranty hassle.
Enjoy the sounds of silence. I first enjoyed it in 2002 with a Prius (that’s my gas car for the last 20 years).

-Barry

·
Registered
2022 Niro PHEV EX Deep Cerulean Blue
196 Posts
If one inadvertently makes contact with a pedestrian or cyclist whilst the reverse alarm is deactivated and it is discovered by an injury attorney, one will be hung out to dry and liable for exorbitant sums of cash that are will not be covered by your insurance or umbrella policy.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
If one inadvertently makes contact with a pedestrian or cyclist whilst the reverse alarm is deactivated and it is discovered by an injury attorney, one will be hung out to dry and liable for exorbitant sums of cash that are will not be covered by your insurance or umbrella policy.
FUD. How about a citation? If the motorist is already at fault, how can they be held to be extra faulty? Only if the pedestrian or cyclist is found at fault (rather rare) could this matter.

·
Registered
2022 Niro PHEV EX Deep Cerulean Blue
196 Posts
FUD. How about a citation? If the motorist is already at fault, how can they be held to be extra faulty? Only if the pedestrian or cyclist is found at fault (rather rare) could this matter.
Clearly there would be a traffic citation which could go to criminal court (or traffic court). The injured party could seek payment for pain suffering from the driver in civil court—that’s where the plaintiffs attorney would see $$. Not extra fault, different court cases.

·
Registered
Kia, Niro EV 2022
62 Posts
"...If one inadvertently makes contact with a pedestrian or cyclist whilst the reverse alarm is deactivated and it is discovered by an injury attorney, one will be hung out to dry ..."
... If the motorist is already at fault, how can they be held to be extra faulty? ....
Yep, alarm or not, you hit the pedestrian.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts