Kia Niro Forum banner
41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
That method works great. I’ve been doing it since Feb. Some thoughts though:
  • That eBay price is too expensive. I just bought individual parts and soldered it myself.
  • The benefit is no copper wire must be pierced and compromised.
  • Turn the switch “on” if going to a DCFS since this allows the DC-charging cooling fan to turn on if needed.
  • You can easily pull out the switch and put the fuse back in if you don’t want to deal with a Dealership warranty hassle.
Enjoy the sounds of silence. I first enjoyed it in 2002 with a Prius (that’s my gas car for the last 20 years).

-Barry
This is a silly argument, the only wire 'pierced' is one that does nothing otherwise

Warranty dealership hassle? How about the warranty issue for shutting of a necessary part of the battery management system?
Non existent
silliness

·
Registered
2022 Niro EX PHEV (Deep Cerulean)
17 Posts
If one inadvertently makes contact with a pedestrian or cyclist whilst the reverse alarm is deactivated and it is discovered by an injury attorney, one will be hung out to dry and liable for exorbitant sums of cash that are will not be covered by your insurance or umbrella policy.
Yup! And you know some lawyer is gonna be all over that in any EV/hybrid-involved case. 😐

·
Registered
Kia, Niro EV 2022
62 Posts
Yup! And you know some lawyer is gonna be all over that in any EV/hybrid-involved case. 😐
It doesn’t matter. Injury lawyers will take any and all bucks coming their way. E.g. they would be all over a chevy Equinox that hits a pedestrian. I bring that up because just the other day in our church parking lock I was shocked this Equinox was silently rolling through the parking lot. It was quieter than my Niro tires! To bad gas engines don’t get the same NHTS slap that no2gates posted in #34.

Or maybe a good thing will happen and the blind pedestrian will get his eyesight back after he was run over.
-Barry

·
Registered
2022 Niro EX PHEV (Deep Cerulean)
17 Posts
Oh, that’s just … weird (and amazing)! And yes, I know any kind of pedestrian/vehicle accident brings out the lawyers, just saying why push one’s luck by disabling the trash-truck back-up sound? Even w/ my back-up camera, I’m terrified of the ped who comes out of nowhere because most ppl are oblivious (esp in parking lots).

·
Registered
Kia, Niro EV 2022
62 Posts
This is interesting: “A 2020 study from the Highway Loss Data Institute found that electric vehicles were tied to roughly 20% fewer claims than similar vehicles running on gas, although the severity of their claims were slightly higher.”

Maybe we’re making a mountain out of a mole hill with EV sound. The sound wasn’t a problem with the Prius in 2000 to 2015 until the EV entered the picture, then government bureaucrats, who had to look busy, had to say “the EV is too quiet!” and they never thought about looking at the quiet gas cars. Quietness isn’t the problem. That’s like saying “Bicyclists need to wear thicker blacker helmets, so the cars won’t hit them”. My opinion is: You need to drive like everyone is deaf and blind (I see an umpire joke in there 😊).

-Barry

·
Registered
94 Posts
Thought of this topic today. My wife was backing up the Niro PHEV and I was just going for walk. Garage is detached from house and roughly 60 / 70 feet away. Hustled over to make comment about how loud the noise was (it really annoys wife, doesn't bother me so much).

·
Registered
79 Posts
This is interesting: “A 2020 study from the Highway Loss Data Institute found that electric vehicles were tied to roughly 20% fewer claims than similar vehicles running on gas, although the severity of their claims were slightly higher.”

Maybe we’re making a mountain out of a mole hill with EV sound. The sound wasn’t a problem with the Prius in 2000 to 2015 until the EV entered the picture, then government bureaucrats, who had to look busy, had to say “the EV is too quiet!” and they never thought about looking at the quiet gas cars. Quietness isn’t the problem. That’s like saying “Bicyclists need to wear thicker blacker helmets, so the cars won’t hit them”. My opinion is: You need to drive like everyone is deaf and blind (I see an umpire joke in there 😊).

-Barry
The gov't has virtually nothing to do with the annoying sound. All Kia

·
Registered
73 Posts
Thought of this topic today. My wife was backing up the Niro PHEV and I was just going for walk. Garage is detached from house and roughly 60 / 70 feet away. Hustled over to make comment about how loud the noise was (it really annoys wife, doesn't bother me so much).
If you are willing to pull off a couple dashboard panels & hotwire a plug, see VESS defeat: 2020 Kia E-Niro VESS/Reverse Chime defeat solution plus a couple subsequent posts on the next page or 2, including a couple simplifications that I added.

·
Registered
'20 Niro EV EX Prem
170 Posts
The european switch panel is interchangeable with the north american panel and is plug and play even if the buttons are in different places. They are hard to get though since most places that have them won't ship to USA. You may have to order through a proxy if you want one.

Attachments

41 - 49 of 49 Posts