Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a new 2018 Niro EX in July and I have not been able to get above 36mpg (average for a tank). Well I got 38mpg once but that included half a tank of freeway @ 75mph.
The computer shows 40mpg (50 for the freeway tank) but when calculating miles driven/gallons used it's only 36mpg this is going on 5 tanks now since purchase. I have a 70% Eco driving and 30% Normal.

Any suggestions, is there a technique that i'm missing for better mpg? Should I just take to the dealer? This mpg is nearly unacceptable for a car advertised as 51mpg.

I already am "that jerk" who drives and accelerates super slow, but getting the honking and middle fingers isn't worth 35mpg, 50mpg ok i'll take the punishment of being "that jerk". If I drove more economical I wouldn't be driving at all.

·
Registered
22 Posts
white17lx

As the manual states; the actual mileage will depend on the driving style.

Over more than 9000 miles my 2017 Niro LX averaged 49 MPG in combined driving under all weather and road conditions from sea level to above 11000 feet.

The lowest observed mileage was 31 MPG: I-80 in Nebraska with very strong wind, temperature around freezing and cruise control set to 75 MPH! At this conditions the hybrid system is not effective, the battery indicator was at 1-2 bars most of the time and the vehicle behaved like regular car (31 MPG is not bad)!

The best mileage I get is on county roads with rolling hills and the speed limit around 50 MPH.
I make weekly trips, 15 miles each way on such a road with two climbs of 450 feet. In the morning the temperature is 45-50F and usually with dense fog, the vehicle self report 48-53 MPG.
On the return trip the fog clears and the temperature will rise to around 70-80F and the vehicle reports 64-90 MPG for the 15 miles trip.

With light foot on the gas pedal averaging 50 MPG is achievable in most situations and conditions. In my experience limiting the use of cruise control will lead to better mileage.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
I've been getting 57/58 in hot summer fills. I'm 10/12% normal driving with the rest eco, but I'm not slowing anyone down. Passing cars on two lane roads. I'm also not exceeding 65, which happens to be the max speed limit on local interstates. I do accelerate slow when there is no one behind me.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I purchased a new 2018 Niro EX in July and I have not been able to get above 36mpg (average for a tank). Well I got 38mpg once but that included half a tank of freeway @ 75mph.
The computer shows 40mpg (50 for the freeway tank) but when calculating miles driven/gallons used it's only 36mpg this is going on 5 tanks now since purchase. I have a 70% Eco driving and 30% Normal.

Any suggestions, is there a technique that i'm missing for better mpg? Should I just take to the dealer? This mpg is nearly unacceptable for a car advertised as 51mpg.

I already am "that jerk" who drives and accelerates super slow, but getting the honking and middle fingers isn't worth 35mpg, 50mpg ok i'll take the punishment of being "that jerk". If I drove more economical I wouldn't be driving at all.
Cars that have very high mpg also seem to be more sensitive to 'stresses' on that mpg. Components could include...

1. Impression. When someone getting 20 mpg loses 10%, it is 18 mpg and they aren't likely to notice. Losing 10% of 50 is 5 mpg down to 45.

2. Model. The higher end the model, the worse the mileage. Extra weight, extra electrical loads, and worst of all the 18 inch wheels/low profile tires. The wheels alone can be 10 to 15%.

3. Crappy gas. There is substantial variation in gasoline regardless of what the owner's manual says. New cars will all burn regular and not 'knock' per se, but nobody says they'll get the same mileage vs using premium. Ethanol impacts it too. Here we get the worst of both worlds on the cheap end of the gas. 87 octane that has 10% ethanol. What that amounts to is nasty 84 octane gas mixed with ethanol to bring it up to 87.

4. You are getting good mileage at highway speeds. At 75 mph you are outperforming your slow speed driving. That's the opposite of what should happen. But it means your engine is running fine.

5. Lead foot/sport mode. Sport mode already mentioned. You mentioned 70% eco and 30 regular. That seems hard to believe unless you are really using the foot in that 30 (or as mentioned sport mode which amps things up considerably).

6. Hard braking. If you are one of those that likes to brake hard, you are going to miss out on most of the regenerative braking and nullify the benefit of being a hybrid. It can have an enormous impact. You'll end up using mostly mechanical braking vs regen. I must say it's hard to tell just by foot feel on mine when one vs the other is in use. Let off the gas earlier, brake more gently. It'll make a big difference.

7. Dragging around extra crap in your car? Junk in the trunk? Adds weight...kills mpg.

8. Non-stock rims/tires? Perhaps you put 'summer tread' on? It will drag your mileage down. Softer/grippy tread. Less efficient than the eco Michelins mine came with.

9. Lastly give it a bit. Mine is getting close to 5000 miles and seems to be getting more efficient. Engine breaking in I presume.

10. oh this is really the last one. Have you changed the oil? The recommended 0-20 full synthetic is there to improve mileage. Using a cheaper oil can cut off some mileage.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
I should also mention that I use standard cruise control at every opportunity, even a half mile stretch at 35 mph before reverting to manual control or merging into a freeway still using cruise control (may have to override with foot if traffic behind). Steady speed saves gas in any car. If you are driving in heavy traffic with radar cruise control, your mpg will drop as your speed will be constantly varying. Better off under manual control, leaving space so you only make small adjustments to speed rather mimicking the car directly ahead.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cars that have very high mpg also seem to be more sensitive to 'stresses' on that mpg. Components could include...

1. Impression. When someone getting 20 mpg loses 10%, it is 18 mpg and they aren't likely to notice. Losing 10% of 50 is 5 mpg down to 45.

2. Model. The higher end the model, the worse the mileage. Extra weight, extra electrical loads, and worst of all the 18 inch wheels/low profile tires. The wheels alone can be 10 to 15%.

I have the EX model with the 16" rims, The only time I have a "lead foot" (I'll keep the needle at the point where the green/gray line meet) would be when entering the freeway but for the only reason is to be at freeway speeds by the time merge lane ends (as the law states, merging cars must merge at the same speed as other cars on the freeway. Though people don't follow this law, nor does it seem a common infraction).

I have been using 87 gas but from Shell, Chevron and 76. I haven't filled up at any of the cheap or non-chain gas stations (that bid for the cheapest/dirtiest gas). I'll try Premium on the next couple of fillups to test if mileage is better.

I'm not a hard breaker, the cruise control breaks harder than me. I'm also still on the stock Michelins. I haven't changed the oil yet, i'm only at ~2000 miles.

Great information, thank you for your responses. I think I'll take it in to see if there's a firmware issue/update or some other issue they might find, but not expecting much there. I'm hoping it's just a break in period and over a bit a time things will start being more efficient.

The other thing I've noticed about the car, is that it seems to rarely start in EV mode unless on a hill pointing down. It'll be in EV mode while stopped, but at any touch of the gas pedal the engine kicks in (including slow and intentional gas pedal pressure). This seems a bit strange to me, I'd figure the electric engine would at least power to 10 or 20mph.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Yes, dead flat or downhill makes a start on EV only easier. You do have to use a super soft touch to get going on EV only but it will do it. I can baby it in some circumstance from zero to 35 mph for up to three miles. Look at your battery charge gauge. EV happens much more readily the higher above indicated half full it is - also more likely to go into EV up to 75mph (personal experience).

·
Registered
12 Posts
After only a couple of full tanks you are still in the process of wearing the engine in. After one year my MPG is noticeably better than when the car was brand new. A couple of other observations. If you use a lot of cruise control it is better to drop it off with 'O' than using the brake. When approaching a crossroads I try to brake as evenly as possible and well in advance. Slow acceleration doesn't seem important if the engine starts anyway. I try to accelerate rather quickly (without sport mode) reaching the target speed sooner than later usually switching to EV mode right after.

·
Registered
15 Posts
You should be getting around 50mpg

I was getting around 50 mpg after the first full tank in my 2017 LX. There is no extended break-in period where you should be less than that. Something seems off. I try to drive conservatively to get 50 mpg in suburban driving, but you don't have to play special games such as feathering the throttle or hypermiling to do so. Unless you're driving with the brake on, I think something's amiss with your vehicle.

·
Registered
1 Posts
mpg

I purchased a Niro in May - I get around 50 mpg. Love it.

Had one problem - I purchased a small amount of gas (gal+) once and it did not register in the tank.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
I purchased a Niro in May - I get around 50 mpg. Love it.

Had one problem - I purchased a small amount of gas (gal+) once and it did not register in the tank.
I've twice put in less than a gallon to reach a reasonably priced station and it does not register. Instead warnings continue to appear about damage to the battery. I know how far it will go on the amount I put in so I don't worry. It appears to need a certain volume of added gas to get above the empty reading and register. No big deal.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
After only a couple of full tanks you are still in the process of wearing the engine in. After one year my MPG is noticeably better than when the car was brand new. A couple of other observations. If you use a lot of cruise control it is better to drop it off with 'O' than using the brake. When approaching a crossroads I try to brake as evenly as possible and well in advance. Slow acceleration doesn't seem important if the engine starts anyway. I try to accelerate rather quickly (without sport mode) reaching the target speed sooner than later usually switching to EV mode right after.
I was really wondering about the break-in period and if truly did affect the Niro significantly, I've been reading how it seems to affect some but not others. I'll definitely have to try your acceleration technique as that is opposite to what I have been doing, something I'll have to try to see if there's an improvement.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've twice put in less than a gallon to reach a reasonably priced station and it does not register. Instead warnings continue to appear about damage to the battery. I know how far it will go on the amount I put in so I don't worry. It appears to need a certain volume of added gas to get above the empty reading and register. No big deal.
Ah ok, this is good info to know.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I was getting around 50 mpg after the first full tank in my 2017 LX. There is no extended break-in period where you should be less than that. Something seems off. I try to drive conservatively to get 50 mpg in suburban driving, but you don't have to play special games such as feathering the throttle or hypermiling to do so. Unless you're driving with the brake on, I think something's amiss with your vehicle.
This has been my thought, I have been hypermiling and am still getting bad gas mileage. Ultimately trying to figure out if that is what is causing the bad gas mileage or if there's an issue with the car. From all the responses and things I've read it seems the "normal mpg range" is 35 to 65, as those numbers and what's between seem to be reported most often. but that's quite a range, a range I believe should be much closer together.

The other thought was if there really is a "special" way to drive then I don't think it should be legal to call the car 50mpg. 50mpg should be for 100% normal driving, which means following traffic laws and flow of traffic. Both of which I'm not following exactly in search of this advertised 50mpg (eg entering freeway below the speed limit, not merging at correct speed, going slower than other traffic etc). I went into buying this car expecting less than 50 but never less than 40.

I contacted Kia customer service and they stated that it seemed lower than it should be and to take it to a dealer. So in the coming days I'm going to setup an appointment.

·
Registered
40 Posts
honestly, that's pretty rough, for instance, I drive my Niro PHEV 120miles round trip. on my full charge and to work I get 70mpg. on my way home im at 45-50mpg, just in Hybrid Mode. I travel up and down varying elevations and traffic (which helps) but I try to avg 75-80mph which is what traveled speed is off I-80. Once I got 40 mpg with just Hybrid mode the entire trip.

Try using CC, even at 75mph, see if that helps.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hopefully they can sort it out. Keep us posted.

For reference if mpg is what matters to you as it did for me, get the FE. I am 90/10%, and 64 mpg, new car ~2500 miles. My best in between tanks was 69 (I have only been to the gas station 4 times)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Tire pressure

No one brought up tire pressure yet. The higher the pressure, the better your mileage. Don't go above the printed max on the sidewall, and if there's too much noise or if the ride feels too hard or bumpy, feel free to lower it to an acceptable level. I'm inflating mine to 44 (cold) all around. These are the stock Michelins on an EX Premium plugin.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts