Kia Niro Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Sad to say, I did not read all the replies (be a lot of reading). Did see some suggesting driving habits, break in talk, etc.

Personally -- I would say there is a problem with that car (don't think one could drive that abnormal to get average 36MPG). Maybe if in sport mode and driving like a Hot Rod Nut (still don't think could get as low as 36MPG Avearge).

Call KIA Customer Support and raise king. Go Get 'EM.

That from 16,879 miles on a EX bought in FEB 2017 with FUELLY AVE of 51 MPG. See about the same every tank including the few Interstate trips of 400 miles.

I drive sensible, but I drive (not a slow poke holding up traffic).

·
Registered
47 Posts
white17lx

36 MPG seems about right for 75 MPH.
I have made a 3500 mile trip in April, all freeway driving at average speed of 70 MPH (110 Km/h). The weather was very variable from snow to clear with temperatures between freezing to 61F (16C) with very strong winds for most of the trip, and I have used cruise control (SCC) set to 75 MPH whenever possible. The average for the whole trip was 38 MPG (6.2 l/100km). The worst recorded mileage was 31 MPG (7.6 l/100km) on Intestate 80 between Big Springs and Lincoln in Nebraska, on absolutely flat road with very strong winds (50 MPH). The hybrid system was "struggling" under this conditions and the battery charge was kept between one and two bars on the display, and the vehicle performed like regular car will under such conditions.

The second trip of 4500 miles in July resulted in 49 MPG (4.8 l/100km). This time I did not use the cruise control at all. Most of the driving was on freeways, some county roads and over 100 miles on dirt roads, with many mountain passes including two over 10000 feet and two over 11000 feet in elevation. On long downhill slopes, after the battery has been fully charged, the charging will be disconnected and only the ICE is used for braking, exactly as the manual says.

On local trips in town and county roads, speed limit 35-55 MPH, the vehicle delivers 50-60 MPG. The best mileage is on county roads with speed limit 45-50 MPH between rolling hills. On regular 15 mile trips on such a road I get 48-53 MPG in the morning when it is relatively cold 45-50F (6-10C) and usually with dense fog, but significantly better mileage between 64-90MPG (3.7-2.6 l/100km) around noon when it is 70-80F (20-27C) or warmer.

On the last tank of gas the car travelled 61 MPG (3.9 l/100km).
I keep the tires at 36 PSI and the temperature control in auto mode at 73F (23C).

If the fuel tank is 3/4 full, you have to add 3 liters of gas for the fuel gauge to reset, if the tank is less full 6 liters are needed for the gauge to reset.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I have the EX model with the 16" rims, The only time I have a "lead foot" (I'll keep the needle at the point where the green/gray line meet) would be when entering the freeway but for the only reason is to be at freeway speeds by the time merge lane ends (as the law states, merging cars must merge at the same speed as other cars on the freeway. Though people don't follow this law, nor does it seem a common infraction).

I have been using 87 gas but from Shell, Chevron and 76. I haven't filled up at any of the cheap or non-chain gas stations (that bid for the cheapest/dirtiest gas). I'll try Premium on the next couple of fillups to test if mileage is better.

I'm not a hard breaker, the cruise control breaks harder than me. I'm also still on the stock Michelins. I haven't changed the oil yet, i'm only at ~2000 miles.

Great information, thank you for your responses. I think I'll take it in to see if there's a firmware issue/update or some other issue they might find, but not expecting much there. I'm hoping it's just a break in period and over a bit a time things will start being more efficient.

The other thing I've noticed about the car, is that it seems to rarely start in EV mode unless on a hill pointing down. It'll be in EV mode while stopped, but at any touch of the gas pedal the engine kicks in (including slow and intentional gas pedal pressure). This seems a bit strange to me, I'd figure the electric engine would at least power to 10 or 20mph.
Some other threads were pointing to updates for the braking and the clutch actuator and a couple were saying it impacts mileage. Good luck. In 32 days of owning my PHEV here's what I get.

55 mpg overall but this includes all electric miles.

about 40 on steady cruise at 69 mph. The highway I drive to work (45 miles) has a 65 mph speed limit and zero traffic.

Rip it open on the interstate at 85 mph (our speed limit is 80!) and you are at 35 mpg.

Driving around town in hybrid mode after the battery is drained? about 50.

It's the last one that it seems is out of whack for you which is odd. Your highway mpg is right on it seems. So maybe the logic update will help for braking/regen or whatever.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Egads... 36mpg is awful. Even my v6 non-hybrid Passat can get 32.

My Niro, if I never plug it in, still gets 45-50 on average, and that's driving it with a somewhat heavy foot and a mix of city and highway.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I am in PA and there are tons of hills and I still get above 55 mpg. Something is wrong with your car would be my guess.
I am in Pittsburgh so tons of hills. I am only averaging 41mpg so far. That is with the little graph saying that I have done 55% eco and only 3% aggressive.
I have never gotten the advertised mileage in any car I have ever owned and honestly don't know why. My Soul only averaged 24mpg, my Jeep before that only got 11mpg, my Passat was lucky to get 20mpg and that was high grade. I have always just attributed it to mostly suburb/ city driving, a ton of steep hills, and the ethanol that is added to the gas.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Your "normal" driving is hurting your mpg. My "eco" driving is 90% plus with no "aggressive". My 14,000 mile average is 52.5 mpg measured, and I was regularly getting 59 mpg in 80 degree summer weather. Speed limited to 65 mph, drive normally with traffic behind me, like a little old lady with no one behind.

Hills will hurt mpg and I don't have really hilly, but of course am often gaining/dropping 400 feet or so of altitude (slowly) on a 120 mile round trip to the big city. Very noticeable difference in mpg going down on such trips versus up.

·
Registered
75 Posts
This is my first hybrid and it's a bit of a learning curve to get the MPG up. It's all about paying attention to the gauges. I can usually feather in EV to get to 20-30 miles. One day I was cruising around looking at houses for about two hours in one large subdivision and I didn't even use 1 gallon. If you are constantly stomping on the accelerator you won't see the benefits.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I purchased a new 2018 Niro EX in July and I have not been able to get above 36mpg (average for a tank). Well I got 38mpg once but that included half a tank of freeway @ 75mph.
The computer shows 40mpg (50 for the freeway tank) but when calculating miles driven/gallons used it's only 36mpg this is going on 5 tanks now since purchase. I have a 70% Eco driving and 30% Normal.

Any suggestions, is there a technique that i'm missing for better mpg? Should I just take to the dealer? This mpg is nearly unacceptable for a car advertised as 51mpg.

I already am "that jerk" who drives and accelerates super slow, but getting the honking and middle fingers isn't worth 35mpg, 50mpg ok i'll take the punishment of being "that jerk". If I drove more economical I wouldn't be driving at all.
The mileage is about right for the driving style and speed. Earlier this year I drove 2017 LX from west coast to middle of the country, the weather was variable; from snow, including 50 miles with chains, some rain and very strong winds for most of the trip. I have set the SCC to 75 MPH whenever possible, the resulting calculated mileage was 38 MPG for the whole trip of 3600 miles. On the flat plains with strong winds, up to 50 MPH, the vehicle was "struggling" a bit to keep the speed and was able to charge the battery to one or two bars at most, resulting in calculated 31 MPG.
On a similar trip in summer, 4500 miles including two mountain passes over 11000 feet, two over 10000 feet and all kinds of roads, including 100 miles of dirt roads, the calculated mileage was 49 MPG. On this trip I did not use the CC at all.
On the last fill the vehicle reported 60.5 MPG and the calculated value was 58.4 MPG.
Over repeated trips on the same roads I have seen values from 43-90 MPG! Yes, on warm days I have repeatedly seen values between 70-90 MPG on road with speed limit 45-55 MPH and rolling hills. In the morning the temperature is around 45-50F, usually with dense fog and the reported mileage is between 40-50 MPG, in the afternoon it is clear with the temperature 70F or above and the mileage increases to above 60 MPG

·
Registered
29 Posts
I purchased a new 2018 Niro EX in July and I have not been able to get above 36mpg (average for a tank). Well I got 38mpg once but that included half a tank of freeway @ 75mph.
The computer shows 40mpg (50 for the freeway tank) but when calculating miles driven/gallons used it's only 36mpg this is going on 5 tanks now since purchase. I have a 70% Eco driving and 30% Normal.

Any suggestions, is there a technique that i'm missing for better mpg? Should I just take to the dealer? This mpg is nearly unacceptable for a car advertised as 51mpg.

I already am "that jerk" who drives and accelerates super slow, but getting the honking and middle fingers isn't worth 35mpg, 50mpg ok i'll take the punishment of being "that jerk". If I drove more economical I wouldn't be driving at all.
What was the resolution to the problem with your gas mileage? I am similarly getting 30 to 35 mpg in town and have just bought this car 2019 Kia Niro). I'm really regretting the decision of buying this car.

·
Registered
15 Posts

Wow, that’s what I get with almost with my Touring. That sounds really low for an EX. I’d call KIA customer care, the more of us that complain the better, hopefully ? You can look up my posts about the issue. I’m very disappointed as well.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have taken my Niro LX back to the dealership to check out why my gas mileage is so poor. They checked it out by looking through the diagnostics and found nothing wrong. They said that everything is working perfectly.

I think the mileage problem may come from how my use of the car compares to how the EPA stipulates their actual fuel economy tests are conducted. For instance, there's a cold start segment of 8 minutes that begins the whole 31 minute test routine. Since I work about 1-1/2 miles from work, my poor gas mileage maybe because I don't get the car warmed up to function efficiently within that cold start segment.

·
Administrator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
2,379 Posts
... Since I work about 1-1/2 miles from work, my poor gas mileage maybe because I don't get the car warmed up to function efficiently.
That's it in a nutshell. Internal combustion engines are extremely inefficient until they reach operating temperature. And it's not just the coolant temp. The engine oil needs to reach its operating range as well, and that takes even longer than the coolant.

My wife mostly drives a little over a 1/2 mile to our grandkids home, so it never begins to get warm.Our average in a 2015 Dodge 1/2 ton pickup with a V-6 is only 12 MPG. Not that it's an efficient vehicle in the first place, but it's paid for and used very little. And sometimes you just need a truck. :)

With your short distance to commute, you would be a prime candidate for an older EV with limited range, such as the Leaf, e-Golf, etc, or a PHEV. The older EVs are extremely inexpensive right now, especially compared to a new car. The problem of course with the PHEV is that most of them still depend on the ICE for cabin heat. With an EV, you'd get instant heat, ragardless of the distance driven. My commute is 15 miles each way, and my Niro can't quite make the round trip without using the engine. So what I do is drive about 1/2 the distance in the morning in Hybrid mode, which leaves me about 17 miles of range when I get to work. Assuming I don't need heat on the way home, I'm then pure EV the entire way. With your short commute, I wouldn't even need to charge every day.

·
Registered
2018 Niro EX Touring Graphite Edition and 2021 Niro EV Premium
109 Posts

70/30 econ to normal ratio, wow. With those kind of numbers you gotta have a portion of that in aggressive mode. We've never been out of the nineties econ. I'm near the end of our current tank of winter gas and have 93/7% 0% agg and 52 mpg ind. I have 18" tires.
Pre-corona, my wife used it to commute about 5 miles, one-way, 25 -40mph roads, 20 lights and a couple of bottlenecks. BTW, that is the minimum one-way, from a cold start, above about 50F, no hwy, distance where you can hope to achieve EPA mpg numbers. A longer trip would be better, about 10 miles is my best guess. It's not just about coolant and oil temps but the temp of the battery too. That takes numerous cycles of charge and discharge and that takes the longest especially under cold ambient conditions. We try to accelerate at no more than the center of the green band where the width of the green band narrows. In a steep terrain standing start, very short hwy on ramps I will use the Sport mode. Under fairly ideal conditions we have achieved a transient 65mpg ind. That dropped the next day on a two mile, from a cold start, drive to the gas station to 63mpg ind and 58 and change calculated. In some short mile or two trips and below freezing high temps we got 38mpg calc from a tankful. I have to say that that was very disappointing.
Even with regen braking if you have to come to a complete stop it will reduce your mpg. Use regen to slow slightly before you get to the light so it turns green as you get there. Coast as much as you can. When coasting step on the brake slightly when conditions allow. You'll see the charge ind show an increase over just a plain coast without increasing slowing appreciably. If you have errands to do make the first stop the one that's farthest away. Then do the rest working your way back.
Hop some of this helps.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Hey, just bought a used 2017 Niro EX with 30k miles on it. Having the exact same issues. Wondering what the outcome of your visit to the dealership was.

·
Registered
51 Posts
70/30 econ to normal ratio, wow. With those kind of numbers you gotta have a portion of that in aggressive mode. We've never been out of the nineties econ. I'm near the end of our current tank of winter gas and have 93/7% 0% agg and 52 mpg ind.
I just wanted to provide another data point on this. I'm usually pretty close to 50/50 on the econ to normal ratio. I would say I drive pretty consciously in terms of harnessing regen braking and overall energy consumption, but I also drive in highway commute traffic which requires fast acceleration for merging, and higher-than-posted speeds. My MPG ratings are great, overall. A recent trip into the mountains and back (speeds in the 40s and 50s, mostly, with lots of up and down) saw an average indicated MPG of 58. I can't compute that one directly because it was a small part of my tank usage, but my indicated MPG so far has been pretty close to actual. (I think indicated is about 5% higher than actual, but not much data yet)

·
Registered
23 Posts
I just took my 2022 Niro touring that I purchased 10 days ago on the first road trip. 300 miles in one day 98% freeway driving,.
At first I had freeways that were 75mph speed limit. I was getting 41.3 mpg for those first 200 miles. The last 100 miles, the speed limit dropped to 65 and my mpg jumped up to 46.5 for the the trip, so I was probably averaging over 50mpg once I dropped it down to 65ish. When we got closer to the destination there was heavier traffic and the speed was right about 60mph and that seems to the the sweet spot as far as fuel economy goes from what I can tell.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts