Kia Niro Forum banner
41 - 54 of 54 Posts

· Registered
56 Posts
Seems normal to me. If it is warm out, little wind I get 43 mpg at 75mph. If there are high winds and it's cold, I get between 33 and 38 mpg. In town I can get 55 mpg if I try. My norm is about 50 mpg with a mix of in town and highway.

· Registered
13 Posts
Seems normal to me. If it is warm out, little wind I get 43 mpg at 75mph. If there are high winds and it's cold, I get between 33 and 38 mpg. In town I can get 55 mpg if I try. My norm is about 50 mpg with a mix of in town and highway.
A new hybrid user(Niro,2018) I’ve a fascination with the moment by moment MPG gauge. There are environments of high mpg that I wouldn’t expect. In the end the trip MPG is what counts. In a rare mood I got a 5 liter jug of a German oil, liqui-moly 0-20, with Wix filter(decades ago it was considered best by some) and will see what that does for mpg. As soon is goes above -8F. Fran

· Registered
555 Posts
I purchased a new 2018 Niro EX in July and I have not been able to get above 36mpg (average for a tank). Well I got 38mpg once but that included half a tank of freeway @ 75mph.
The computer shows 40mpg (50 for the freeway tank) but when calculating miles driven/gallons used it's only 36mpg this is going on 5 tanks now since purchase. I have a 70% Eco driving and 30% Normal.

Any suggestions, is there a technique that i'm missing for better mpg? Should I just take to the dealer? This mpg is nearly unacceptable for a car advertised as 51mpg.

I already am "that jerk" who drives and accelerates super slow, but getting the honking and middle fingers isn't worth 35mpg, 50mpg ok i'll take the punishment of being "that jerk". If I drove more economical I wouldn't be driving at all.
I don't think any driving style would get one down to 35MPG. Guess all NIROs not the same. I just drive, not like an idiot and not super conservative either, my AVE for 2017 EX is 51 MOG for 55,860 miles per Fuelly data (every gallon bought).

· Registered
13 Posts
Talking about MPG, as a new Niro hybrid owner I’ve been watching how to drive for max MPG. After my last gas fill up all MPG numbers went up >8%. Could gas quality have this dramatic effect, will follow this. Fran

· Registered
17 Posts
Here is something for all you other owners to think about before you post (boast) about your high gas mileage from you Niro. Is it a PHEV or ah HEV. In other words do you have a plug or don't you. If you have a plug, you have a TOTALLY different system. From all the research I've done, the PHEV gets better gas mileage than the HEV, 20 to 30 mpg better.

I have a 2022 HEV, Niro Touring. From the dealer’s lot and for the next 2000 miles it averaged 41 to 44 mpg. Then it started to fall. After the dealer looked at it 3 times for poor gas mileage average and declared it to be within specs it fell to 31mpg. Took over a month to get it to 35mpg and last I checked (about a month ago, wife’s car so I don't get to drive it much) it was still not to 38mpg. Driving styles do affect the mpg. I drive it they would fall 2mpg, then she would get it back up within a couple of days to 41 or 43mpg (this was before first oil change). Now she can't get it above 35 to 38mpg. She drives it 7 miles to work and 7 miles back on mostly flat with some small hills and one steep one (about 1/8th mile long hill). She is not an aggressive driver. Battery charge NEVER goes above 5/8ths (16 tics on the battery gauge, never more than two above half). Even using regenerative braking set at level 2 it will not charge the battery any higher. That is all in ECO mode.

Switch to Sport mode and the gas mileage falls 2 to 4 mpg no matter how light you feather the accelerator pedal. Car drives much better but it is supposed to. BUT the battery gauge Will show a charge to 15/16ths, even saw it hit 16/16ths or FULL once, but since it is SPORT the engine only shuts off at stops and long coasts down hill, which we don't have many of. I learned this after the second dealers Niro tech told me that the system will never fully charge the battery and I was getting tired of not getting to use that battery I paid so dearly for.

We had a 2016 Sorento that was totaled from hitting a deer at 75mph. It got 22mpg, ran great and was a very dependable car. Was in excellant condition up until the wreck. I don't think I'm getting my money’s worth from the Niro.

If anyone has information about what could be wrong with my Niro, please post it. Please don't tell my your PHEV get XXmpg or that driving style is what is making my mileage so low. I want to know what is wrong with my Niro, not what is right with yours! If you are a Niro qualified tech I will gladly give you my info for direct communication. And please don't tell me my Niro is within specs, it obviously might have been but it isn't now.

· Registered
Niro HEV, 2020, Dynamic Line, KIA Connect, EPB, StdGen5W
189 Posts
Did you drive with the Sorento the same distances as with the Niro? The 7 miles to/from work are not enough to get the ICE warm-up. Higher mpg you would get with distances more than 15 miles or only in warm weather.
If I drive to my sport (3.5 km) now in the cold times, I get 20 to 30 mpg only!

· Registered
38 Posts
I purchased a new 2018 Niro EX in July and I have not been able to get above 36mpg (average for a tank). Well I got 38mpg once but that included half a tank of freeway @ 75mph.
The computer shows 40mpg (50 for the freeway tank) but when calculating miles driven/gallons used it's only 36mpg this is going on 5 tanks now since purchase. I have a 70% Eco driving and 30% Normal.

Any suggestions, is there a technique that i'm missing for better mpg? Should I just take to the dealer? This mpg is nearly unacceptable for a car advertised as 51mpg.

I already am "that jerk" who drives and accelerates super slow, but getting the honking and middle fingers isn't worth 35mpg, 50mpg ok i'll take the punishment of being "that jerk". If I drove more economical I wouldn't be driving at all.
Yesterday I drove around town , heavy traffic most of the way . So it was an awful lot of traffic lights . It was a little slippery and +16 f . I was mostly very easy on the throttle . According to my calculations I got 46 mpg for a US gallon . I was driving for about an hour and a half .

· Registered
17 Posts
Did you drive with the Sorento the same distances as with the Niro? The 7 miles to/from work are not enough to get the ICE warm-up. Higher mpg you would get with distances more than 15 miles or only in warm weather.
If I drive to my sport (3.5 km) now in the cold times, I get 20 to 30 mpg only!
Sorento was wifes car same as Niro. She drives it to work and around town. Sometimes we would take Sorento on road trips, usually less than 500 miles, gas mileage would go up a couple of mpg.
We have been driving the Niro to LR which is 45 to 60 miles one way or to the dealer, which is 35 one way. So far we haven't had time or need for a long road trip and when we go it will be to Austin, Tx so several hundered miles. I expect the Niro's mileage to fall even more since it will be running the ICE most of the way since it won't charge the battery more than half except in sport and by design, is not a road trip vehicle even with "Touring" in it's name. It is a stop and go, in town vehicle.
From what I read on this forum, owners are not having to go on road trips to get 40+mpg, nor are they driving in warm weather. It is winter now so not much of that!

· Registered
189 Posts
My Niro switches to e-drive, if the battery is loaded two blocks above the middle and with a soft-foot on the gas pedal I can drive in e-mode until two blocks below the middle. On distances round 40 to 50 km I got the last three months an average of 52 mpg. In my opinion the secret is a soft-foot on the gas and brake pedal and an early "let the car roll" before stops ...

· Registered
17 Posts
My Niro switches to e-drive, if the battery is loaded two blocks above the middle and with a soft-foot on the gas pedal I can drive in e-mode until two blocks below the middle. On distances round 40 to 50 km I got the last three months an average of 52 mpg. In my opinion the secret is a soft-foot on the gas and brake pedal and an early "let the car roll" before stops ...
Mine runs the ICE even at 5/8ths battery charage. Soft foot is how we drive the Niro, we are trying to get the mpg up and so far 35 is about it. The wife drives it 90% or more of the time and when it was new, she had mpg at 40 to 43. If I drove it she would let me know that I was killing her mpg! Would usually fall 2-3mpg since I'm a lead foot but also I was on a short trip usually 70 to 100 miles and highway mileage is lower than city mileage. If it was the Sorento or a PHEV, probably more lead footed! Only time my HEV would run in e-drive for very far was when battery had been charged in Sport mode until it was at 15/16ths charge. Sport mode is hard on the mpg so we don't use it, I was experimenting on how to get the battery to charge above 5/8ths and Sport runs the ICE all the time and keeps the generator doing it's job of charging the battery. I fully believe that our Niro is AFU and is not charging the battery properly.
On the highway our HEV Niro keeps the battery around 1/8 to 3/8 charge and doesn't go any higher until we get in slow traffic and use the regenerative braking. Bad thing about braking, you usually have to speed up afterward which sucks the battery power right back out.

· Registered
189 Posts
Maybe you can check the hybrid info screen and do some photos of it. It shows a little bit the use of the e-motor. Also an OBD2-checker may give some insight ...
Rectangle Font Parallel Slope Audio equipment

· Registered
17 Posts
Maybe you can check the hybrid info screen and do some photos of it. It shows a little bit the use of the e-motor. Also an OBD2-checker may give some insight ...
View attachment 8137
I've looked at that screen several times. I think it update every 2.5 minutes???? My motor use is usually well below 5kw, have to really punch it to get it to read that high (bottom graph). The top graph usually doesn't flucuate much either. This is around town AND on the highway at 75mph.

I will see what it is doing now but haven't had the car for two weeks as my sister-in-law has needed it to get back and forth to the doctor. She has stage 4 lung cancer and the meds and cancer have really screwed up her systems causing extreme water retention and other problems to the extent she has to have lots of help getting in and out and our Niro is the only vehicle in the family with wide enough doors and low enough to the ground to get her in and out. Real bitch. Non smoker but her husband did till he passed from cancer and her father smoked. Don't let anyone tell you second hand smoke isn't harmful! I'll give you an example of the water retention: they drain a liter and a half everyday from her abdomin and her skin weeps constantly. Nothing can be done at this point, kemo would kill her faster. Sorry for the downer but I always feel a need to explain what is going on when answers are not at hand and I'm restricted on when I'll get them.

I can only guess what the gas mileage is doing with different drivers who are not concerned with how the vehicle is performing.

· Registered
1 Posts
I also have a 2023 Niro that I purchased new in October. After 2,500 miles, my cumulative average MPG is just 36. I'm very disappointed. I have been driving like a model citizen to try to goose the numbers, but that's still the best I can get.

· Registered
17 Posts
I also have a 2023 Niro that I purchased new in October. After 2,500 miles, my cumulative average MPG is just 36. I'm very disappointed. I have been driving like a model citizen to try to goose the numbers, but that's still the best I can get.
What does your "Driving Type" tell you? Aggressive, Normal, Eco. We are still mostly Normal and after we got the car back, found that the other drivers were not leadfoots. MPG was 37 and only a couple percent Aggressive, about normal except we do expect the mpg to be better than what we are getting.
I have to take it for it's second service, a little late but not terribly.
I'll run the graph display all day tomorrow and see what it tells me, wish car manufacturers won't so stingy with access to the video data they let us see. I can't afford a tech's set of electronic devices much less the ones for a Kia!

Unfortunately my S in L did pass, was very quick from diagnosis to the end and for that we are grateful.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts