Kia Niro Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have only owned our Niro for a few weeks but we are already thinking about RV travel later this year or early ‘23. It means leaving the Niro behind, safely stored in our garage. Given we may be gone for 3 or 4 months, what should we be looking at regarding what happens to the batteries, both the start battery and the drive battery? I am concerned about retaining charge for that long.

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
If you have the HEV, just leave it, nothing to worry about. Worst case is you have to enter the car with the mechanical key (unless you leave it unlocked in your garage) and press the "reset" button on the dash to bring the 12 volt lithium battery back into circuit so you can "start" your car. The manual says to leave car on for at least 30 minutes after an event where you need to use the reset button.

If you have the PHEV, the best is to charge the traction battery to 50% and then disconnect the 12 volt lead acid battery to eliminate normal off current from discharging it. It is a good idea to buy a desulphating trickle charger and use it at least once a month, including on your RV trip. Same advice if you own the BEV.

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
Couldn't I just hook up a trickle charger and not disconnect the 12v battery?
Based on this question I assume you have the PHEV or BEV? As the HEV battery is pretty hard to get to for safety reasons.

The answer is yes you can. While doing so is controversial, and certainly don't do it with the charger plugged in, there have been no reports of damage by owners taking the easy path. I also wouldn't do that for 3 months while you are gone, only for routine maintenance of the battery.

A one time fix for your lifestyle would be to install a battery switch that easily disconnects the battery without using tools. These are readily available at RV dealers and I assume online. Then you can disconnect battery when you leave town. Then it also very safe to now leave the smart trickle charger attached while you are away. I leave my motorcycle plugged in for months in the wintertime - my last battery lasted 8 years. While you are installing a switch, you can also install a dongle (may come with the smart charger) to attach to your battery with a plug rather than messing with alligator clamps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts