Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Greetings from Greater Toronto Area, bought Kia Niro FE back in July. By now I have around 4.200 km on it. When I bought it the battery charge was showing around half, dealership said it would increase after driving a little bit as it was parked for a long time. After about two months nothing changed,I called again dealership and they claim it's normal and it would always be like that. Basically, Its been always around half - two bars more or less.
Did you have same experience with charge constantly at half, with brand new car ? I would not even be concerned if fuel consumption did not increased from 4.5L/100km to 6.6L/100km-that's 50% increase. I am aware that fuel consumption would increase with colder weather, but it's still above zero Celsius...what to expect @ -20 ?! My work commute is 13 km in one direction in speed zone of 50-60 Km/h.
What is your experience with battery charge and fuel consumption now versus summer time? Any tips how to decrease fuel consumption?
Thank you in advance. 20191122_064559.jpg

·
Super Moderator
516 Posts
My son-in-law has an Ioniq HEV, which uses roughly the same EV powertrain as the Niro HEV. His battery level is constantly changing, from as low as 3-4 bars (say 30%) up to about 80% of the display's scale. So no, I don't think it's normal for yours to be stuck at half with zero movement. Now, if your driving is all fairly flat and smooth, it might not fluctuate as much as I've seen on his Ioniq. But I would still expect to see some up and down movement.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for replay, that charging indicator has 16 bars (8 being middle) About 90% of the time since I bought the car has been at either 7 bars or 9 bars. Few times(10%) I've seen it at 6 bars or 9-10 bars.I have never ever seen it for example at 12 bars-which is 75% charge!

·
Registered
259 Posts
My Niro doesn't change too much either. I think it's normal. My Prius would vary much much more than the Niro does. As long as your mpg's are where it should be I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Sorry I just re-read your first post where you say your mpg's have taken a hit. I haven't had our Niro up north but when we lived in Pa. I had a Prius and the cold weather would knock off 5mpgs easily.

·
Super Moderator
456 Posts
I live just outside of Toronto. What you are seeing is completely normal. You will likely find that over the wintertime you will see that your battery level will go up because the motor it going to be running far more to generate heat. You will also find that your fuel economy will go down. This is caused by two things. the obvious that the motor is running now more to get warm (to provide heat, defogging) but also it is designed to work at a certain operating temperature. Yes, that temperature is above 20 degree C, so when it gets colder than that, the engine will run to bring the temp above the ambiant temperature outside. But the second reason your fuel economy sucks in the winter is that the blend of gasoline past October 1 changes from summer grade to Winter grade that is far less volatile and your engine requires more fuel to do the same work. That sadly is just a fact.

I got my car last year in the end of September, and for the first month I was getting around the 4.3 ~ 4.5 L/100 for most of my driving. Then after the first fillup - it dove down to 5.5 even though the temperature hadn't really changed all that much. It was the fuel. Over January to March I was getting 6.5 - 7.0 L/100km. It got a bit better in April, and by May - September I am back to the 4.0 ~ 4.5 L/100km that the Niro is known for. But I will assume that you had a gasoline car before this one, and likely had the exect sort of trend with it's fuel economy. My last car was a Ford Edge, and in the summer I was getting 8 ~ 10 L/100, but in winter it sucked fuel and you'd be happy if you got by with the 14 L/100.

The battery in your car is not like a plug in electric. It is sort of like an energy reserve buffer. The car is designed to try and keep itself around the 50% mark as that will give you the longest battery life for your car. When you break it captures some of that energy that would otherwise be lost and puts it into the battery, but it will most of the time be running the electric motor to drive your wheels. In winter however as you turn on the heater, the engine will be running far more and all the excess energy not used to drive your wheels goes into the battery. I do short runs in the morning to drop my kid off the school. We don't have a bus. So with the cold weather, if I put on the heater in the car, the engine will run continuosly until it gets up to temperature. All that excess energy gets pumped into the battery and after 5 minutes, I will have 80% charge. If I turn off the heater, it will drop back into EV mode as there is more than enough energy in the battery and I can drive around without the engine running with my heated seats and steering wheel and it's fine for me.

hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Halfway is the goal of the BMS software. Only way to get it full is a very long and/or steep downhill. Even with the heat off as I usually drive it this time of year, I do note that it is more likely to end up 3/4 charged after a freeway run. Not sure way, but it is clearly temperature related. Much less likely to switch to EV at highway speeds when it is cold out. During summer, as soon as it is a click over half charged, it switches to EV (assuming flat, no headwind etc.). If you bring up the hybrid flow display, you will often see the battery discharging as it is adding torque to the drivetrain often even while the ICE is running.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm a new owner, picked my Niro Touring up two days ago. When I picked it up, the battery showed full (all the way to the right). It had been driven about 60 miles that morning to the dealer's location from another dealer. Drove it a bit then home. I sat in the car, with it on (second press of the start button but without the brake) for an hour or so, setting settings, getting familiar, etc. Got a warning about battery usage during that. Now the indicator is close to half way, rather than full, and in a day of driving hasn't moved much. I'm quite surprised that using only the electronics (no movement, AC, motor, etc.) would have lowered the value that much. Also a bit surprised it hasn't gone back up much. But I'm still getting used to it.

·
Super Moderator
516 Posts
I'm a new owner, picked my Niro Touring up two days ago. When I picked it up, the battery showed full (all the way to the right). It had been driven about 60 miles that morning to the dealer's location from another dealer. Drove it a bit then home. I sat in the car, with it on (second press of the start button but without the brake) for an hour or so, setting settings, getting familiar, etc. Got a warning about battery usage during that. Now the indicator is close to half way, rather than full, and in a day of driving hasn't moved much. I'm quite surprised that using only the electronics (no movement, AC, motor, etc.) would have lowered the value that much. Also a bit surprised it hasn't gone back up much. But I'm still getting used to it.
The battery warning you received is only referencing the 12v accessory battery, not the hybrid traction battery. The way standard hybrid powertrains operate is to use some battery power to move away from a stop and assist with harder acceleration and/or hill climbing. The charge comes back from brake regeneration while slowing, and under some conditions receives a charge back from the engine. So under normal usage you'll never see the battery fully charged or depleted. The control computer will work to keep the battery somewhere in the range of 30-70%, with higher and lower levels occasionally as use demands. Just sitting with the system in accessory mode as you did probably engaged the battery saver system, which uses the traction battery to keep the 12v battery from running down. So that's why you saw the level drop most likely.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts