21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Super Moderator
499 Posts
10 years in US.

WARRANTY
10 Year/100,000 Mile Limited Powertrain Warranty
10 Year/100,000 Mile Limited Battery Warranty

Up north in Canada, it's 8 years 160.000km (100.000 miles)

·
Registered
111 Posts
The Kia manual states that the EV battery has a 8 year warranty, but "normal" degradation of the battery does not warrant replacement. I read that to say if my battery works fine, except it only has 1/4 it's original capacity, I'm out of luck. Too bad so sad. If it stops working outright, I'm covered.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
25% of original capacity after 8 years is not normal degradation. That's a pretty extreme example. If you are at 70% after 8 years, you might have a fight, but not at 25%.

·
Registered
234 Posts
however with the Kia Niro and Hyundai Ioniq, the 12v lithium ion battery is contained in the same housing as the 240v hybrid battery, under the rear seat.........not a good idea to try replacing that as a Sunday project, better left to the dealer.
The PHEV Niro's 12v auxiliary battery is located in a more accessible area in the cargo area. Another advantage of the PHEV possibly?

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
So far, no! The PHEV has issues with battery charging that the HEV doesn't have (I've read a couple times about battery failure as a result) and the lead acid batteries weigh more.

·
Super Moderator
537 Posts
So far, no! The PHEV has issues with battery charging that the HEV doesn't have (I've read a couple times about battery failure as a result) and the lead acid batteries weigh more.
Want to share more on that? I've had no charging issues, although it's only been three months so far for me.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
I don’t own a PHEV but there have been plenty of reports on this forum and the Ioniq forum of battery saver issues with the lead acid battery. I’ve read at least two reports of battery failure, and another couple of posters that carry a portable jump unit so they won’t be stranded.

·
Super Moderator
537 Posts
I've only seen the Battery Saver message once in the 3+ months I've had mine. Perhaps they changed something with the '19 model year. But I also don't sit with my doors open or with the car in accessory mode for any length of time. With the tiny size of the 12v battery, I can see these actions as something that could drain it fairly rapidly.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
And that is exactly what appears to be happening for many other owners. Only Kia could tell us how many owners are affected, it could be a small number of vocal owners as per usual online. Plus I'm not sure even how big PHEV sales are in the states they are sold in. But online, I've seen dozens of unique reports of PHEV issues, none for the BEV yet which has a similar battery configuration but no ICE, or the HEV which doesn't have a lead acid battery. Only the PHEV. The whole thing suggests a design/engineering issue.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I've only seen the Battery Saver message once in the 3+ months I've had mine. Perhaps they changed something with the '19 model year. But I also don't sit with my doors open or with the car in accessory mode for any length of time. With the tiny size of the 12v battery, I can see these actions as something that could drain it fairly rapidly.
My experience is similar. I've had my '18 PHEV for 18 months and have seen the BS message at most 3 times. I've parked the car unplugged for up to 3 weeks without it being triggered. I never leave the car in accessory mode and don't have any aftermarket devices like dashcams or OBD2 loggers. Most of the threads I've seen on this forum are from people who have either left the headlights on for a long time in accessory mode or had things like an OBD2 device that was staying on all the time. I agree that the relatively dinky size of the 12V battery probably makes the PHEV more susceptible to excessive drain in situations like that.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts