Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we didnt notice this at first. Its almost like it just started last night (day 2). When we put the car in reverse you get a beeping like you are driving a big truck. Its louder in the front. Is this a feature or issue? I cant tell from the owner's manual. 2019 LX PHEV

·
Registered
530 Posts
So we didnt notice this at first. Its almost like it just started last night (day 2). When we put the car in reverse you get a beeping like you are driving a big truck. Its louder in the front. Is this a feature or issue? I cant tell from the owner's manual. 2019 LX PHEV
It's a feature. :) Mine (2018 PHEV) does it as well. The manual mentions it briefly in the section on the Virtual Engine Sound System.

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
I wish there was a way, other than cutting some wires, to disable the front and rear external speakers! I mean, pedestrians don't demand speakers on bicycles. Some ICE cars are almost silent as well but are not forced into having sound effects added.
I think it's a good thing really, but I hate not having a choice.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you, that is great to know! It makes sense as it much louder outside than inside with the windows up. It seems louder in the front than the back, but whatever :)

·
Super Moderator
527 Posts

# A = Sonar speaker on reserve mode. it's on mine and all Niros.

·
Super Moderator
502 Posts
Actually, I believe it has been mandated by the governement that all electric cars now have to have speakers on them to warn pedestrians around you that you are driving. There was a bit of a stink raised by FORD that they wanted a waver from the requirement for thier electric police crusers saying they need to be able to run silent when aprehending criminals. https://www.theverge.com/2018/8/28/17774430/ford-electric-hybrid-noise-rule-law-enforcement

·
Registered
33 Posts
This is has to be on all hybrid and electric, without exception, starting 2019. It was signed into law by Obama back in 2010, and car manufacturers had until 2019 to oblige. The system needs to be active below 19 mph (30 kph), and the sound needs to be 47-67 dB.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts