Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if it is possible to turn off the very annoying beeping when the battery is fully charged and hence regenerative breaking not available?

·
Super Moderator
2019 Niro PHEV EX Premium
1,589 Posts
Does anyone know if it is possible to turn off the very annoying beeping when the battery is fully charged and hence regenerative breaking not available?
Do you have the PHEV or the EV? I've never heard a beep from mine.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I only charge my 2020 Niro EV up to 80% to maximize battery life. If I'm going on a long road trip I will charge it up to 100%.

·
Super Moderator
1,589 Posts
I only charge my 2020 Niro EV up to 80% to maximize battery life. If I'm going on a long road trip I will charge it up to 100%.
That option isn't available for the PHEV, and the OP never clarified what version he has.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Happens to me all the time at a full charge or whatever your charge limit is set. I live at the top of a big hill. But, u can't turn it off. Just like the loud and annoying backup noise.

·
Super Moderator
1,589 Posts
Owner abuse. Why charge to 100% always? That accelerates battery degradation.
I'm not certain that's accurate. If you're using DCFC and always charging to 100% I believe that's correct. But using an L2 EVSE You aren't stressing the battery with high current and temps. One battery engineer (referenced in the post about charging at home) makes a valid point that charging to 100% at L2 levels actually improves battery life due to level balancing within the cells. No one ever says we should not charge our PHEV batteries to 100%, and in fact the car has no ability to restrict the charge level, as the EVs do.

·
Super Moderator
1,589 Posts
Can't you just unplug the charger when the battery is at 80%
Yes, but who wants to stand around the car and watch for that? :p Besides, the 80% limit is really talking about DC Fast Charging, which the PHEV doesn't support. There's no issue with charging a battery (PHEV or BEV) to 100% using Level 2. The current isn't that high, which means the battery temperature isn't an issue. There's a number of "battery experts" that state you should charge your EV to 100% with an L2 charger at least once a month, and I think one person even said once a week.

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
I'm not certain that's accurate. If you're using DCFC and always charging to 100% I believe that's correct. But using an L2 EVSE You aren't stressing the battery with high current and temps. One battery engineer (referenced in the post about charging at home) makes a valid point that charging to 100% at L2 levels actually improves battery life due to level balancing within the cells. No one ever says we should not charge our PHEV batteries to 100%, and in fact the car has no ability to restrict the charge level, as the EVs do.
Yes, fast charging is more damaging than slow charging. I also agree that cell balancing with a 100% charge every few months (depending on usage) is a good idea. But the rest goes against everything I've read. I haven't read anyone that believes there is no harm done by regular charging to 100%, even slowly. Teslas (and I hear some other marques) only charge to 80% by default and you have to override that default on days where you need the maximum. Some charging stations will not exceed 80 or 90% - probably because it is less efficient to charge higher - not out of concern for your battery health.

Nor, if you are not going to use your car for several days, should you leave it at 100% charge. That is also damaging. Batteries are never shipped fully charged for that reason, typically only to 50%.

Now mind you, there are a lot of different ways to skin a cat. For example, Hyundai/Kias have very conservative buffers top and bottom so you are unlikely to damage your car with an apparent 100% displayed, or zero percent. You certainly are not filling to capacity with their algorithms and buffers hidden from you. Filling to displayed capacity is an expected owner behavior with PHEVs, thus the conservative buffer to avoid battery damage. For a BEV capable of charging to a true 100% capacity, manufacturers discourage it.

This is true of almost all types of lithium batteries. I personally try to keep cell phones and laptops in the 20 to 80% charged level to extend battery life. Both Android and Apple have delayed charging algorithms available that while still charging to 100% time it to completion just before the historical time an owner unplugs it in the morning. That feature is meant to limit the time the phone spends at 100%.

·
Super Moderator
1,589 Posts
Level 2 chargers have no idea what the charge level is. They don't have the communications path that DCFC does. I don't know why, since it is using the same connectors on the J1882 plug, just doesn't have the two additional high voltage pins. So any EV charged using a Level 2 EVSE cannot be controlled via the EVSE. The car certainly may have an upper limit it can enforce, but our PHEVs don't.

I agree it's still a gray area. When I look for something substantial online to state what level is "safe" for Level 2 charging, I can only find some random information that says what I stated earlier. But there does seem to be a consensus about charging to 100% using Level 2 on a regular basis. Now, how often "regular" is, again I can't find any hard data. But I really would like to find something.

My local VW dealer texted me yesterday that they have a number of ID.4 models arriving this month that are not pre-sold. I think they could give me enough on a trade to buy-out my Niro lease, and there are a lot of things I like about the ID.4. But I think I really want to wait and see the Kia EV6 and Hyundai Ioniq 5 before making up my mind. I have a hunch that the Korean cousins will have a few things the VW is lacking, such as cooled seats and a heat pump. All depends on how they price them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts