Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2019 Kia Niro Lx hybrid. My commute to work is roughly 50 miles each way all highway. I’ve had the car for two days now and it shows I’m averaging about 48mpg. I’ve driven 130.5 miles so far and when I filled the tank up it has 500miles and I’m down to 379. It seems low to me, but this is the first hybrid I’ve ever had and I’m not very good with cars. I’m looking to see if anyone has advice on the best driving style on a highway to get the best mpg? I don’t have smart cruise control (I don’t believe so anyway, the dealer didn’t say I had that feature) any advice is MUCH appreciated!!

·
Super Moderator
516 Posts
I believe that's in the ballpark for the HEV. Remember a hybrid actually gets a little better mileage in stop and go compared to pure highway. Fueleconomy.gov shows the 2019 HEV with a highway rating of 46 MPG and 51 city. And the speed you're driving will have a noticeable impact as well. Driving 65+ MPH will bring it down, and over 70 can really knock the MPG down. Throw in some terrain (hills to climb) and there goes some more.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I agree with ATC. Your mpg's seem right on mark. We have a 2018 LX HEV. Our daily driving usually nets around 50-52mpgs. When we travel up north on the highway our average drops to 46-48mpgs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay thank you! I just wanted to make sure. I’ve always been an “aggressive driver” i.e I speed a lot, so I’m also using this car to try to slow myself down. Trying to keep my speed around 60-65 on the highways instead of my usual 80 so it seems like that will be a big factor in getting the best mpg!

·
Registered
259 Posts
Actually when we are on the highway I notice I get the best mpgs when I leave the cruise control off. Why I don't know. Maybe I do a version of ….I forget now what people call it..Pulse and glide? with out knowing it. And then when traffic is heavy around Washington D.C. and I'm in the left lane keeping up with the crowd going anywhere from 60-80 or so I get better mpgs then when I'm just droning along at 75.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
My best mpg is about 59 in optimal dry windless summer conditions of 80 degrees keeping speed max to 65. Overall average for Ohio four season weather is 52 mpg.

Heavy cruise control user, but always switch to standard cruise control. Easy to tell the difference. For one, your car needs the tech package to have the smart cruise control. Second, on the dash where it reads the set CC speed, if you have the smart cruise control, there will be little car symbols to change the following distance. Third, if you have set CC and come behind a slower moving car, your car will slow down to match its speed.

Other than hypermiling techniques like pulse and glide or DWL (both of which will induce road rage in other road users), CC will improve mpg for all drivers. I even use mine for accelerating to speed - it will tend to switch to EV mode where accelerating in manual at the same apparent rate will not.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Okay thank you! I just wanted to make sure. I’ve always been an “aggressive driver” i.e I speed a lot, so I’m also using this car to try to slow myself down. Trying to keep my speed around 60-65 on the highways instead of my usual 80 so it seems like that will be a big factor in getting the best mpg!

Oh, you probably don't want to learn about Sport mode, then. Sport mode makes these cars fun to drive! Of course, it comes with a mpg penalty.

My Touring model gets better MPGs at 63 mph on cruise (which can be anywhere from 58 to 66...grrrrr) than it does at 60. Not sure why, but I think the little bit more momentum from the faster speeds allows the car to need less power to go up hills and such. I drive nearly a hundred highway miles a day and average 44 to 49 depending on weather. Thats right at the EPA average.

I've tried some of the other hypermiling techniques with little success on this car, even ones that were proven on my Ford Fusion Hybrid. Barely any difference, so I gave up and just drive. The Ford was hugely impacted, it required total concentration to get EPA numbers, and I did average 44.4 in 3 years of ownership, but it was hard.

I think you are doing well, and will just get better.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
My Touring model gets better MPGs at 63 mph on cruise (which can be anywhere from 58 to 66...grrrrr) than it does at 60.
Interesting, but the only way that could make sense is if 62 mph or so is the threshold for shifting into top gear. I do note a big jump on instant mpg at a shift point about 38 mph so I get to 40 mph as fast as possible, especially when it is cold like it is now and the ICE is going to be running for a few minutes anyway after a cold start.

I'm leaving a bit earlier so I can drive slower, and while my mpg has dropped significantly in this cold weather, dropping from 65 to 58 mph is clearly making a big difference while making a pretty insignificant time difference over my normal 20 mile trip distance. Three to four lanes of moderate traffic so no road rage is happening behind me (I keep right). Don't know if it is other drivers smart cruise control, but many don't seem to be bothered to switch lanes to pass me.

·
Registered
234 Posts
"I think you are doing well, and will just get better. "
I agree, most ICE cars don't get their peak mpg until they have at least 5,000 on the odometer. Depending upon what percentage of ICE miles your total mileage comprises you might not see your best MPG for 5000-8,000 miles. Something to look forward to! :cool:

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
I agree, most ICE cars don't get their peak mpg until they have at least 5,000 on the odometer.
I think this is an old wive's tail effectively from days when engine tech was not as good and machining tech was poor compared today. Likewise, no manufacturer recommends an initial oil change at 500 or 1,000 miles anymore. I have 27,000 miles on my Niro and have not seen any changes at all up or down that wasn't directly related to driving conditions.

I will say that on my 2001 PT Cruiser, oil consumption dropped dramatically at 100,000 miles! Weird. No change in mpg though at any point.

Some (perhaps most) hybrid owners will see an increase in mpg related to changes in driving habits. That probably is maxed out by 5,000 miles.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Some (perhaps most) hybrid owners will see an increase in mpg related to changes in driving habits. That probably is maxed out by 5,000 miles.
Thats my opinion as well, the car doesn't get better, the driver gets better!
I also wonder if the Niro has a "learning" transmission like the Fusion did? The Fusion would take several hundred miles to start shifting and holding gears better.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts