Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We had a really cold night the other night and now my TPMS has popped up. All of my tires are in the 28-30 psi range but 1 in 1 psi lower than the others and that is what is triggering the warning. I'm going to pump them all up later today when I get gas and was wondering what others are setting their psi at for cold weather and best mpg. I have a Touring with the 18" tires.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Usually, owner's manuals recommend operating winter tires several psi (typically 3-5) higher than their recommended pressures for summer and all-season tires, so around 33 psi is your ideal tire pressure.

·
Registered
20 Posts
My manual says 36psi is recommended. That's where mine are set at! 16" tires on my EX.
I think I did read in the manual that a few extra lbs may be added for winter driving temperatures.

·
Registered
221 Posts
My manual says 36psi is recommended. That's where mine are set at! 16" tires on my EX.
I think I did read in the manual that a few extra lbs may be added for winter driving temperatures.
Yes 36 psi is recommended on the 16" tires. In the mid-fall/early winter it may make sense to set them a bit higher because as the temperatures fall the pressure drops. So if it's 60 out and you set it to 40, then when it's 15 out 2 months later it will still be around the recommended pressure.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I know its a bit off topic but we should also audit how we drive in the winter and specific things we do in the cabin that can influence the overall mileage reported back to us. From what i realized there are a whole host of influences on that number we get.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yes 36 psi is recommended on the 16" tires. In the mid-fall/early winter it may make sense to set them a bit higher because as the temperatures fall the pressure drops. So if it's 60 out and you set it to 40, then when it's 15 out 2 months later it will still be around the recommended pressure.

I make it a habit to check the tire pressure every few weeks (look at the dash in this case), and add or remove air accordingly. I have always done this and other vehicle checks over the years, as my work involves a lot of highway driving. Just something I have gotten used to.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts